CFP Projections

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I started with the Top 20 teams in ESPN'S FPI and looked at ESPN'S projections for each remaining game including conference championships. Below is how each team is projected to finish. Order is based on final record:

1. Ohio St 13-0
2. Alabama 13-0
3. Clemson 13-0
4. Oklahoma 13-0
5. Oregon 12-1
6. LSU 11-1
7. Penn St 11-1
8. Notre Dame 11-1
9. Baylor 11-2
10. Florida 10-2
11. Georgia 10-3
12. Wisconsin 10-3
13. Utah 10-3
14. Auburn 9-3
15. Washington 9-3
16. Iowa St 9-3
17. Iowa 9-3
18. Michigan 8-4
19. USC 8-4
20. Texas A&M 7-5

Assume instead ISU were to win out and beat OU twice. We would be 11-2 and there would be chaos over which team deserved the 4th playoff spot.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
This team is good enough to beat anyone! That being said, an Iowa State team with 2 losses won't get a sniff. The playoff committee has shown that only blue bloods get the benefit of the doubt with 2 losses. I'd very happily travel to a Fiesta Bowl though!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If we won out and went 11-2, I'd be happy as can but also so ticked off we were more or less 2 plays from 13-0.

It’s be a much happier version of 2005, where if we closed our opponents like we should have we could have been at least 11-1.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This team is good enough to beat anyone! That being said, an Iowa State team with 2 losses won't get a sniff. The playoff committee has shown that only blue bloods get the benefit of the doubt with 2 losses. I'd very happily travel to a Fiesta Bowl though!

You’re right that we won’t get a sniff even if we win out (including championship game). But it’s still always nice to be rated in that poll.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I’m sure it won’t play out exactly like that with 4 undefeated teams, but that’s a great example of why expanding to 4 teams was the thing to do.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I’m sure it won’t play out exactly like that with 4 undefeated teams, but that’s a great example of why expanding to 4 teams was the thing to do.

Actually the BCS setup nailed 1 vs 2 every year. Expanding to 4 teams has actually created more drama/issues compared to the old format. Just expand the damn thing to 6 or 8 and the problems are solved.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
although i think we beat oklahoma and lose to texas, and possibly ksu, if we did go undefeated we probably want to be left out and be paired with pac12 champion only because i dont think we have the horses to stop the run against elite teams.

Do you read what you write?

Defeat OU but we don't have the horses to go against elite teams? OU is the best rushing team in the conference.

Just. Stop. Trying

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Actually the BCS setup nailed 1 vs 2 every year. Expanding to 4 teams has actually created more drama/issues compared to the old format. Just expand the damn thing to 6 or 8 and the problems are solved.
There’s always going to be drama at the bottom. If it’s #3 or #5 or #9 there’s almost always going to be some debate over why team X should’ve been in over team Y.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It’s be a much happier version of 2005, where if we closed our opponents like we should have we could have been at least 11-1.

Look closer at 2017, we could have easily been 11-1. Texas was the only game I felt we didn't really have a decent chance....though the only times Texas scored that night were off ISU turnovers but those are apart of the game.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Do you read what you write?

Defeat OU but we don't have the horses to go against elite teams? OU is the best rushing team in the conference.

Just. Stop. Trying

you are simple minded and cannot think in complex logical paths. i understand and will try to help you learn to think. beating ou in one game is not the same as stopping power run teams from the elite sec+clemson when teams have a month to prepare. and as we have seen ou is also no match for elite sec+clemson.

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
you are simple minded and cannot think in complex logical paths. i understand and will try to help you learn to think. beating ou in one game is not the same as stopping power run teams from the elite sec+clemson when teams have a month to prepare. and as we have seen ou is also no match for elite sec+clemson.
I hardly call OU losing to Georgia in double ot and Alabama by 11 last year being "no match". I'll give you the game against Clemson where they lost by 20.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There’s always going to be drama at the bottom. If it’s #3 or #5 or #9 there’s almost always going to be some debate over why team X should’ve been in over team Y.

I agree but there is also a huge difference between the #5 team and the #9.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

I
D
T

You are completely guessing and Coach Smart is on line 2.

I would love to see Heacock and this defense go up against anyone. Might or might not turn out ok but it would be entertaining. We should not be scared of playing anyone - doesn't mean we would can beat anyone but I want to see this team in big games. Gone are the days of hoping for less competition to have a good record or avoid embarrassment. They can practice that in Lincoln for a few years.

You might want to slither on back to the 80/90s when things were Finer, I think that is more your speed.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

When you had Auburn go undefeated in the SEC in 2004 and get left out a simple 1-2 matchup was doomed.

The BCS system in selecting the two teams was fine and was much less biased than the current system. The momentum to get rid of the BCS really picked up steam when Auburn got left out, as if changing how you select a 1-2 matchup was going to somehow squeeze three teams into the game. Unfortunately the 2 team limitation of the BCS led to changing a pretty good system in selecting the top teams to the good old committee approach driven by "the eyeball test."

In 2007 the BCS gave us Florida vs. Ohio St. as 1-2 by a razor thin margin. The "eyeball test" folks told us that CLEARLY Michigan was the second best team behind Ohio State, and even though OSU-Michigan just played there should absolutely be a rematch because it's so obvious they are the best two teams. Turns out OSU did not belong on the same field as Florida. It wasn't one of those games that gets away from one team. Florida was so far superior it was shocking.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

I’ve said forever that the BCS system wasn’t bad, they just needed to use the BCS system to select 4 or 8 teams instead of 2. The committee is dumb but I’m glad 4 teams get a shot.