Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

I meant to spend 5 minutes catching up on CF, but ended up reading this thread for over an hour! I have a story like most of you, and much of mine can be found in pieces of all the other stories on here. Needless to say, my 'wake up call' after years of denial and increasing amounts of medication to control blood pressure, cholesterol, etc came in July of this year. In short, years of 'so-so' physicals became a very bad physical in July. I started making some changes (slowly) in July and have increased since then. I am down around 15 lbs and feel better.

My one piece of advice that maybe hasn't been stated much on here is to start with small changes and build up to bigger ones. Seriously. From my experience, if you try to make a huge amount of changes all at once, you have a high probability of failure. I started with a simple goal of 'walking the sidewalks in my neighborhood' 3 nights a week (equates to a bit over 1.5 Miles). I now run / walk 2-4 miles almost daily. My diet is unfortunately hit or miss still, but mostly hit. I cut out most fried foods and have severely cut down on the red meat (not eliminated as I cannot say goodbye to burgers and filet completely!). I still 'cheat', but when I do I now view it as motivation to 'kill it' the next day.

My goal now is to continue improving my diet and beginning the process of re-shaping my figure (i.e adding strength training). I have a follow-up physical in December and am admittedly nervous that my numbers will still be horrible. We shall see.

Good luck to everyone with their goals!

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.
I'll join in. I'm at 203 and want to get to 190. Good luck on your journey!

The biggest thing is watching how much you eat. Eat smaller portions and try to limit extra stuff if you can.

With your weight, I'd do light jogging on a treadmill for 15-20 minutes to begin with and do some lighter weightlifting. As you get slimmer bump up the cardio to HIIT and increase the toughness of weightlifting.

I was at 242 pounds and got down to 185 so it can be done but it won't be overnight. This journey will take several months/year. I got injured really bad so got back up to 200 and need to get back to 190. Best of luck!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I lost 25 lbs about 10 years ago and am actually down another 5 now. It's a simple formula to help me eat less food:

1. Eat a moderate but healthy breakfast
2. Eat a sandwich for lunch (6" subway, potbelly, even a burger) but don't get a side unless it's a fruit or vegetable
3. Cook for supper - try to avoid processed foods - and eat just 1 moderate helping of your entree (you can load up on your greens!)
4. Most important, and the enabler for the first three -- snack between meals if you're hungry (granola bar, fruit, nuts)

None of this keto, low-carb, weight-watchers, count your calories craziness. It doesn't get you anywhere, because you can't sustain it.

Also that last 5 lbs came off recently with Focus T25 (do recommend).

Reactions: khardbored

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Good luck. fwiw, I am a big fan of tracking daily calorie intake. It is so easy to overeat, especially when you have worked out. Too easy to reward yourself. I use an app called fatsecret, but there are many. When I use it, I lose weight. When I make some gains and start skipping it, the weight floats back up.

few more tips:
  • limit or eliminate drinking alcohol M-Thur
  • drink a boatload of water every day
  • limit carbs
  • weight training should be the core of your exercise program. If you don't have a gym, you can get by with a fitness ball, resistance bands, and a few dumbbells.
  • find someway to go for a 15-45 minute walk everyday. Life tends to get in the way. Walking is a great way to get some exercise in on days when life doesn't cooperate.
cyphoon

Last edited:
Reactions: khardbored

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Mashed sweet potatoes. It will change your life. I am going to keep it simple. Roasted veggies, cottage cheese, some fruit.

Yeah, the issue is that when one of those is taken in, it comes with about double the sugar and no other redeeming ingredients.

Listen, if your sugar intake is too high because you're eating to much fruit and there are adverse affects, let me know.
Thank you, I see stuff like this tweet because someone wants to be a smartass or promote a book for some idiotic overcomplicated diet.

People overthink this way too much, or get into all of this complicated stuff and its too hard to follow and it can be overwhelming, frustrating, and downright miserable.

I get that everyone is different and there is certainly lots of genetic luck that plays a role, but my wife and I have always tried to stick with a few concepts that our kids can follow too. They are in middle school and cook themselves too. None of us are extreme at all in diet or working out and we have always stayed lean.

- treat added sugar as poison. We have our fair share of donuts or ice cream, but it takes extra activity to compensate
- never a limit on eating vegetables or fruit in their raw state.
- stock up on stuff like nuts at work or school so you always have something to eat
- fat is flavor and dry food sucks. We go through large quantities of olive oil and our bodies love it.
- think about things you do anyway on a daily basis and see if you can do the manual version - you will be amazed how much you can get done on foot or on bike. I find it to be good thinking time as well. Also do the manual version of chores- muscle over motor
- Have Fun. Do stuff with friends, kids, nieces nephews that get you active. Volunteer activities can help too. I get a ton of exercise coaching kids sports as an example.

Also, I am not opposed to planning, but I am when it delays taking action. There are a handful of simple things that people have suggested that you should start doing right now.

I sound like a **** about this stuff but I have had too many people around me struggle with this stuff. They get so caught up in complex approaches and planning, and trying to find time to do specific workouts that they miss the simple things.

OP and others- keep us posted and kick some ass!

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If you are motivated by money (or not losing it) as well as competition I've had fun doing dietbet.com over the years. It actually helped me win $1000 dollars in a wellness program at a previous job (weight loss challenge).

You aren't gonna get rich off it but the competition is fun and gets you going. Not sustainable over time but a good way to get a jump start.

Ive done it on and off for around 5-6 years, so I can answer any questions. Basically you join a game at a certain price point and length of time and those who make the goal split the pot. If too many people win you just get your money back.

Around the holidays and new year you can actually make some decent coin.

• Friendly
Reactions: FBFAN

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
One suggestion I forgot to add: using penalties for failing. This worked for me when I wanted to finally quit drinking pop.
I wrote a $250 check to a specific organization I hated. I put it in my wallet and told myself if I drank any pop, I had to mail the check. Anytime I went for my wallet, I’d see that check.

I got the idea from an episode of freakonomics. A guy on there wrote a check for $1000 to the American Nazi Party and told his buddy if he didn’t lose 25 lbs by a certain date, he had to mail it.

its not for everyone, but it worked for me.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
One suggestion I forgot to add: using penalties for failing. This worked for me when I wanted to finally quit drinking pop.
I wrote a $250 check to a specific organization I hated. I put it in my wallet and told myself if I drank any pop, I had to mail the check. Anytime I went for my wallet, I’d see that check.

I got the idea from an episode of freakonomics. A guy on there wrote a check for $1000 to the American Nazi Party and told his buddy if he didn’t lose 25 lbs by a certain date, he had to mail it.

its not for everyone, but it worked for me.

Gotta ask what your organization was?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I lost 25 lbs about 10 years ago and am actually down another 5 now. It's a simple formula to help me eat less food:

2. Eat a sandwich for lunch (6" subway, potbelly, even a burger) but don't get a side unless it's a fruit or vegetable
3. Cook for supper - try to avoid processed foods - and eat just 1 moderate helping of your entree (you can load up on your greens!)
4. Most important, and the enabler for the first three -- snack between meals if you're hungry (granola bar, fruit, nuts)

None of this keto, low-carb, weight-watchers, count your calories craziness. It doesn't get you anywhere, because you can't sustain it.

I'm in the boat where I'd like to just get 5 more lbs. off but have had some dings and haven't been able to run. Frustrating but all a part of it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Thank you, I see stuff like this tweet because someone wants to be a smartass or promote a book for some idiotic overcomplicated diet.

People overthink this way too much, or get into all of this complicated stuff and its too hard to follow and it can be overwhelming, frustrating, and downright miserable.

I get that everyone is different and there is certainly lots of genetic luck that plays a role, but my wife and I have always tried to stick with a few concepts that our kids can follow too. They are in middle school and cook themselves too. None of us are extreme at all in diet or working out and we have always stayed lean.

- treat added sugar as poison. We have our fair share of donuts or ice cream, but it takes extra activity to compensate
- never a limit on eating vegetables or fruit in their raw state.
- stock up on stuff like nuts at work or school so you always have something to eat
- fat is flavor and dry food sucks. We go through large quantities of olive oil and our bodies love it.
- think about things you do anyway on a daily basis and see if you can do the manual version - you will be amazed how much you can get done on foot or on bike. I find it to be good thinking time as well. Also do the manual version of chores- muscle over motor
- Have Fun. Do stuff with friends, kids, nieces nephews that get you active. Volunteer activities can help too. I get a ton of exercise coaching kids sports as an example.

Also, I am not opposed to planning, but I am when it delays taking action. There are a handful of simple things that people have suggested that you should start doing right now.

I sound like a **** about this stuff but I have had too many people around me struggle with this stuff. They get so caught up in complex approaches and planning, and trying to find time to do specific workouts that they miss the simple things.

OP and others- keep us posted and kick some ass!

I either read or heard somewhere from an "expert" that you can be high fat or high carb but you can't do both and that makes a ton of sense to me. Vegetarians mostly have good weight outcomes. Well, they're probably pretty low fat. Obviously paleo and such have great outcomes-low sugar/carb. Personally, I'm not much into sweets so it'll far easier and more sustainable for me to get rid of sugar. The hardest parts will be pop and bread but that will be much easier than giving up red meat or giving up a little butter and sour cream in my mashed sweet potatoes. So that's the route I'll go. I still want to have balance and the ability to have a piece of bread here and there but the focus will be on getting rid of the sugar so that when I am working out, we're fueling with fat.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Weighed myself this morning and I am down 15lbs since Aug. 22. Mainly by lots of walking. Since I switched to eating just raw vegetables with humus for lunch at work I can really tell the difference.
35lbs to go to hit my initial goal. 45 more to get what I would consider ideal. (6"2' 190)

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

I will agree with you on eliminating sides. I never got close to obese because if I'd eat at Subway(for example), I'd just get a sandwich. No chips. If I ordered a burger at a restaurant, I'd get a side salad, no fries. Little things like that do help.

That said, I strongly disagree with your discounting of "low carb". Lowering (Or eliminating) carbs is the key to long term weight control and you somewhat, albeit only slightly, are reducing your carb intake by taking your own advice - don't get a side when you eat out (or eat veggie instead).

There are plenty of people who have eliminated carbs as an energy source and instead use the fat of meat (ketosis) and have been doing this for years. One FB group I used to follow all the moderators had been zero carb for min of 10 yrs.

http://www.zerocarbhealth.com/

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
You know I'm fat!

tenor.gif

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I guess we've all just gotta find what works for us. Low carb doesn't work for me because I like bread and beer too much.

As do many....but that is like saying, I know I should give up smoking, but I like it too much.

What ends up motivating people to give these up are health issues that they didn't realize were related to what they were consuming (and you don't know until you try and eliminate for a period of time) Auto-immune issues, pre-type 2 diabetes symptoms, obesity, anxiety/depression, etc.

Look at many people approaching their 50's and 60's. They are all taking meds for something. IMO, they could rid themselves of being dependent on meds if they tried an elimination diet to discover what certain foods (often highly processed and carb heavy) are actually doing to them.

Disclaimer: while I may take in an occasion beer, still spirits (vodka, whiskey, etc) are a fine sub if you need to imbibe from time to time and want to avoid the negative (carb related ) side affects. vodka, soda and a lime - you'll learn to love it. :)

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
^ regarding my last post on giving up meds, here is a bonus I never would have expected when I essentially went zero carb.

I've had pretty sever seasonal allergies since I was in upper elementary school. Since being an adult, I've had to take two prescription meds every spring and fall to get through the seasons and not be miserable.

While I still had symptoms of allergies this past spring (after going essential zero carb since the previous October), I felt they were lighter. This fall - my symptoms were gone. First time in 35 yrs I didn't need to medicate to get through a fall.

Yes, it is very nice being at an ideal weight but to have the elimination of processed foods/carbs also mean eliminating season allergies? Wow!

I've since read about others experiencing similar results. More proof to me human beings were never meant to eat the way we do in a standard American diet. No, it isn't about portion control or counting calories or hitting the gym X times per week. It is about WHAT you are eating that really matters in the end for both weight and overall mental and health.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Look at many people approaching their 50's and 60's. They are all taking meds for something. IMO, they could rid themselves of being dependent on meds if they tried an elimination diet to discover what certain foods (often highly processed and carb heavy) are actually doing to them.

Well said. I was in the doctor's office a couple weeks ago for a very minor issue. That day it seemed to be overrun with people that were 60+ and in rough, rough shape. Lots of hacking and coughing going on and just general misery. The immediate thought that came to my mind was "My god, take care of your body." It was very much a "ghost of Christmas future" moment for me.

(That's not to say it's entirely within our control, of course. Healthy people get afflictions all the time that are beyond their control.)