Purdy ESPN Heisman List #7

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I don't know if it's the Iowa State way, but depending on how Purdy and Iowa State finish this year, do you think Iowa State would push/advertise Purdy Heisman for next season?

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Might as well be a million to one. If Troy can't win it, then no ISU player will. Too much reading the front of the jersey.

Troy deserved it but the team didn't have enough wins to get the voters to pay attention. Every damn person in the stadium knew he was going to get the ball and still couldn't stop him. Hopefully Brock's teams will have enough wins to let him stay in contention.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Troy deserved it but the team didn't have enough wins to get the voters to pay attention. Every damn person in the stadium knew he was going to get the ball and still couldn't stop him. Hopefully Brock's teams will have enough wins to let him stay in contention.

9 win Iowa State is the same as 2 win Iowa State in the minds of too many award voters. Lanning not winning the Hornung award because Barkley from Penn St has to win. Monte not remaining on the Cousy award team because some other blue chip player needs to win.

Call me cynical, but I have zero faith in the people voting for these awards choosing anyone other than players on media darlings.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Clemson hasn't had anyone recently win Heisman and Alabama has 2 in 10 years.

You certainly don't need to be #1 team, but likely need to be top 10-15.
Those are the only 2 in Alabama history to boot. They have way more National Championships than Heisman Winners. Before Saban, they rarely had players in the conversation even though they have historically had GREAT players. So, Alabama has always been a little different than the other historically great programs like Oklahoma, Southern California, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc. who all have tons of Heisman Winners. Just an observation.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If Breece Hall continues his pace from the last couple of games and develops in the offseason, he could be a legitimate threat to get 2,000 yards next year - that should be an automatic invite.

Wasn't last year for Wisky's Taylor and he essentially did it two seasons in a row (1900 in 2017).

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Wasn't last year for Wisky's Taylor and he essentially did it two seasons in a row (1900 in 2017).

If a team makes their conference championship game they will have 13 games to accumulate stats before Heisman voting is complete. Averaging just over 150/game gets you to 2,000 yards rushing.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If a team makes their conference championship game they will have 13 games to accumulate stats before Heisman voting is complete. Averaging just over 150/game gets you to 2,000 yards rushing.

And?

He didn't play in a CCG last year, was just below 2,000 at the end of the regular season.

Didn't get an invite.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
It's not just the best offensive player. The player needs to be a QB or RB. Seriously, how many WR's or OL have won the Heisman in the last 40 years? Charles Woodson, Tim Brown and Desmond Howard.
Michigan, Notre Dame, Michigan.

• Winner
Reactions: Snydes

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Clemson hasn't had anyone recently win Heisman and Alabama has 2 in 10 years.

You certainly don't need to be #1 team, but likely need to be top 10-15.

The Heisman is the most political and biased sports award there is. Christian McCaffrey broke the single season all-purpose yards record but lost out to Derrick Henry because Derrick Henry was on Bama and in the SEC.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I don't know if it's the Iowa State way, but depending on how Purdy and Iowa State finish this year, do you think Iowa State would push/advertise Purdy Heisman for next season?

This isn't 1976 or even 2002. Brock is on TV every week and sometimes national TV. He's not hiding or an unknown. Advertising isn't necessary.

However, the ATH dept might still make signs or Twitter posts etc.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
This isn't 1976 or even 2002. Brock is on TV every week and sometimes national TV. He's not hiding or an unknown. Advertising isn't necessary.

However, the ATH dept might still make signs or Twitter posts etc.

Maybe "advertise" wasn't the right word judging by your post.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I agree that ISU may not be the media darling team it takes to have a player win the Heisman. Having someone win it would certainly help elevate our status. I feel having RGIII win it help elevate Baylor's status beyond just having success under he who must not be named.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The Heisman is the most political and biased sports award there is. Christian McCaffrey broke the single season all-purpose yards record but lost out to Derrick Henry because Derrick Henry was on Bama and in the SEC.
Christian McCaffrey was an incredible player and would have been a worthy Heisman Winner. There are often multiple players who would be. FWIW, Derrick Henry Broke or Tied records held by Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Mark Ingram AND Tim Tebow (Heisman Trophy Winners all) in his Heisman winning season. It's not like he was unworthy.

• Winner
Reactions: harimad

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The Hiesman doesn’t have the notoriety as it used to since it usually just goes to the best player on one of the top two teams in the country. To me it has become something that isn’t interesting anymore.

I love college football, but the traditions have taken a hit with all the money and media coverage in today's game. Before the internet, we weren't hit over the head on a daily basis with hype for teams, players, and coaches.

You checked in on Saturday to a couple different broadcasts, saw highlights of a few games while watching Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Nebraska, etc. At halftime they discussed the Heisman race for 5 minutes and that was that. Now the Playoff rankings are argued ad nauseum every day of the week, there are multiple 3-hour pregame shows, every game is available (this is much better for Cyclone fans), and we're numb to all of it by the end of the year. I know I'm being nostalgic, but the pageantry of college football isn't what it used to be. It's why I enjoy going to the games. You can still get a sense of that atmosphere.

By the time we get to the Heisman ceremony, it's just another boring, commercialized show.

• Agree
Reactions: SDClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is only partially true. As I recall he had the attention of voters in 5 of the 6 Heisman voting regions. Only the South (excluding the Southwest) went for Wuerffel but by such a commanding margin he ended up winning it. I have no doubt that SEC area voters made a concerted effort to not vote the best rivals 2nd or 3rd on their ballots to make sure one of their own won the award.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron