RECRUITING: Xavier Foster recaps official visit to Iowa State

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
BTW if you want to see what a player can be like. Go watch AAU ball. Not high school. That is why you rarely see coaches at high school events. I would check Xaviers AAU stats .

I think you see them at AAU events because they can see lots of basketball talent at one time at tournaments and see that talent against other talent, compared to going to a high school game and seeing one athlete of interest, sometimes against inferior competition.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I think most of us are pretty realistic about Foster, I don't see anyone claiming him as a program changer. We want him but the program will be fine if he goes elsewhere.

That's a tidy summary of my opinion, though I think many here carry a higher evaluation!

Now for my parting comment on where he'll end up, citing my inside information. I have lived on the east side of Iowa City for 20+ years and frequent Heyn's Ice Cream. On a recent visit, one of the servers was wearing a 2017 Oskaloosa Track & Field sweatshirt, so I asked her where XF would play his college basketball. She said she personally knows the family and guarantees he will attend EIU. Will Heyn's Ice Cream girl prove more prescient than CyTwins?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Osky coach is a nice guy. I don't think he is a good coach though. They should not have lost a game with him and Henry on that team. In 3A the only team that should have came close to beating them was Norwalk with Borne and Endres and some good supporting players.

You think most high school coaches are bad. Ryan isn't in the best spot with Xavier's dad on staff.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's a tidy summary of my opinion, though I think many here carry a higher evaluation!

Now for my parting comment on where he'll end up, citing my inside information. I have lived on the east side of Iowa City for 20+ years and frequent Heyn's Ice Cream. On a recent visit, one of the servers was wearing a 2017 Oskaloosa Track & Field sweatshirt, so I asked her where XF would play his college basketball. She said she personally knows the family and guarantees he will attend EIU. Will Heyn's Ice Cream girl prove more prescient than CyTwins?

giphy.gif

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
You think most high school coaches are bad. Ryan isn't in the best spot with Xavier's dad on staff.

Yeah I think most high school coaches are in three categories.

1. Not many coaches in that small of a town and he is the best option and is good with the kids. I think he falls under this category. The Osky coach.

2. Good Coach that is a players coach or a hot head. Still knows the game really well.

3. Coach who thinks he is the man because he is the head coach. Cares more about himself than what is actually happening. Usually old school type guy who has not kept up with the times.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

If she worked at the same 31 Flavors where Ferris passed out, I might believe her.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I fully admit I’ve only seen him play 5-6 games down at the state tournament, but to me all he wanted to do on offense was sit outside and shoot threes. Rarely ever went inside. Defensively he got rebounds mostly by being 6-7” taller than everyone else on the court. I’m not going to complain if he picks us, but will not be upset if he doesn’t. If he’s a Clone and is great, I’ll gladly eat crow

I recommend watching his USA basketball highlights.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I have watched Foster play high school ball. He is smooth, athletic and about everything you would want. However, he didn't produce. I think it has to do with his coach not knowing how to coach him in high school. I saw a lot of potential. He is also pretty raw. I would honestly compare him a lot to George Conditt. LIke you can see he has it. He just has to figure it out. Defense will be his strength for the first few years until he get's his offensive game down and puts on some weight.

I saw a lot of kids flopping in the lane when he would make a move.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

I asked some Ames wrestlers once where Tamin was going to play ball they all were very sure it is going to be ISU.

• Friendly
Reactions: allfourcy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

If she worked at the same 31 Flavors where Ferris passed out, I might believe her.

Scoops Ahoy with Robin or bust!

D-71VFDUYAAVFNB.jpg

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think you see them at AAU events because they can see lots of basketball talent at one time at tournaments and see that talent against other talent, compared to going to a high school game and seeing one athlete of interest, sometimes against inferior competition.
The connection to AAU basketball and recruiting is much deeper and slimier than that.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Wrestlers by nature look down their noses at basketball players, which is interesting as they are usually shorter. Playing basketball with wrestlers is a good way to get hurt, especially as they don't appreciate pain. My roomy in college was a wrestler. I Always gave him crap that he liked rolling around in someone else's sweat, wearing a singlet, grabbing other guys junk and having them grab his, ...but for some reason he didn't think that was an accurate description of his sport!

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I watched him play in person multiple times and he did not impress me. I watched him play in the state tournament also. One team he played at state did not have a guy over 6'0 tall and they contained him. He was shooing 3 pointers rather than going underneath.

Been a rough couple days for you, it’s understandable you’re being a salty *****