Wigginton signs with Timberwolves

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So not a two-way, got it. Is he expected to be in Des Moines or go overseas? Hope things work out for him. I believe he could have been a great Cyclone if he stuck around
I'm not even sure he's a g league starter.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
So he left to make what 30k-50k if he plays just in the G league. I mean its more money than he would have made by being at ISU as a student but another year where he went nuts would have elevated him and got him to the Purdue players level (Edwards) where he would have been atleast a second rounder.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So he left to make what 30k-50k if he plays just in the G league. I mean its more money than he would have made by being at ISU as a student but another year where he went nuts would have elevated him and got him to the Purdue players level (Edwards) where he would have been atleast a second rounder.

More like $35,000 plus the one months pay he got on his Title 10 contract. Not sure if he got a signing bonus, if he did he gets to keep that bonus if he goes to DSM. You can make good money on the two-way contracts but I don't think he's anywhere close to getting one of those.

Not thinking this was his best career financial move but if he really didn't want to play college hoops anymore than maybe best to move on.

• Agree
Reactions: Inthesystem

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Edwards made Boston's opening night roster.

He is going to make $1,228,026 this next season.

So for one game...

= $14,975.93

Edwards sits on the bench for Boston for two games > Wigginton in the D-League

I know Wigginton wanted to move on with his life and basketball career but, man, the difference in salary and what teams might invest in you from being noticed and drafted compared to being a nobody who has to work their way up... huge.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

So for one game...

= $14,975.93

I know Wigginton wanted to move on with his life and basketball career but, man, the difference in salary and what teams might invest in you from being noticed and drafted compared to being a nobody who has to work their way up... huge.

I am glad he chose to be a Cyclone, even if just for a couple of years, and best of luck to him going forward in his career.

Other than that, I am ready to focus on and support our current team and student-athletes and support them and the program.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I remember Niang talking on the sports fanatics this summer and Ross asked him if he reached out to any of the ISU players that were thinking of entering the draft. He says he stays in his own lane and doesn't say anything unless a player reaches out to him then he gladly will give them advice. Then he was asked if any of the ISU players reached out to him and he said none of them did. That's pretty telling about the mindset of a guy like Wigginton or THT had that ear available to bounce some thoughts off of and didn't even think about reaching out to him.

Niang also went on to say he's all for guys staying in college as long as possible because you will never be able to replicate that experience anywhere else. The main point he drove home was no fans in the NBA are every going to love and treat you as well as Iowa State fans will so take advantage of the free college education and college experience while you can because it will never be that way again once you go pro.

I get why these guys leave because all they ever are told is how great they are and how much money they could make and a lot of people are telling them that more to benefit themselves and not the player's best interests. Had THT and Wigginton come back another year and both had their best seasons THT probably a 1st round pick which is a guaranteed 3 year deal and Wigginton at the very least probably gets drafted. I just don't get the mindset some of these guys have not weighing all their options better and seeing how "gutting out" another year of college could be better long term for them financially because there is big difference between guaranteed earnings and contracts just for being drafted in the 1st round. Just making the G League is not a guarantee of landing an NBA contract either, a lot of guys have spent years trying to claw their way into the league and a lot never make it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I am glad he chose to be a Cyclone, even if just for a couple of years, and best of luck to him going forward in his career.

Other than that, I am ready to focus on and support our current team and student-athletes and support them and the program.

Agreed, I'm ready to get behind the guys that wanted to be on this year's team and it will be really interesting to see if this team without all the egos and guys with 1 foot already out the door play more like a team this year and exceeds our expectations. That team last year had the talent to win the regular season Big 12 title but it became obvious as the season played out there were guys who had their NBA stock more in mind than doing what was needed to help ISU win.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy and NWICY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Agreed, I'm ready to get behind the guys that wanted to be on this year's team and it will be really interesting to see if this team without all the egos and guys with 1 foot already out the door play more like a team this year and exceeds our expectations. That team last year had the talent to win the regular season Big 12 title but it became obvious as the season played out there were guys who had their NBA stock more in mind than doing what was needed to help ISU win.

I am with you guys on all of this --

Glad he was a Cyclone. He's a Cyclone forever. Support him going forward.

But the decision-making and strategic interests inherent in sports (e.g., X's and O's, recruiting, how to build a roster with limited draft and salary capital, when to switch teams/programs/go pro, etc.) is what draws the interest of many of us, especially nerds like me.

We are all playing moneyball in all walks of life. That is what makes it fun!

I do not know why we cannot follow or assess the professional careers of those who used to wear the cardinal and gold. Lindell Wigginton could have had a heck of a junior year in Ames, but we will now never know, and I am glad we have Bolton eligible to replace him essentially in the rotation and his spot on the scholarship chart going forward.

Wondering how LW is doing and speculating on how he could have done, had he stuck around, is fair game to me, though. Carsen Edwards would have been about the idealized version, but nothing says it was going to go that well if he stayed, too.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
So sad. He could have been playing in front of full college arenas and on TV and been talked about daily by fans and the media.

He'll be lucky to be footnote this year.

What a missed op for this young man.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe and SC Cy

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

So for one game...

= $14,975.93

That is true, but nobody knows if Wigginton was really going to be an All American this year. Edwards really had a phenomenal year last year.

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I remember Niang talking on the sports fanatics this summer and Ross asked him if he reached out to any of the ISU players that were thinking of entering the draft. He says he stays in his own lane and doesn't say anything unless a player reaches out to him then he gladly will give them advice. Then he was asked if any of the ISU players reached out to him and he said none of them did. That's pretty telling about the mindset of a guy like Wigginton or THT had that ear available to bounce some thoughts off of and didn't even think about reaching out to him.

Niang also went on to say he's all for guys staying in college as long as possible because you will never be able to replicate that experience anywhere else. The main point he drove home was no fans in the NBA are every going to love and treat you as well as Iowa State fans will so take advantage of the free college education and college experience while you can because it will never be that way again once you go pro.

I get why these guys leave because all they ever are told is how great they are and how much money they could make and a lot of people are telling them that more to benefit themselves and not the player's best interests. Had THT and Wigginton come back another year and both had their best seasons THT probably a 1st round pick which is a guaranteed 3 year deal and Wigginton at the very least probably gets drafted. I just don't get the mindset some of these guys have not weighing all their options better and seeing how "gutting out" another year of college could be better long term for them financially because there is big difference between guaranteed earnings and contracts just for being drafted in the 1st round. Just making the G League is not a guarantee of landing an NBA contract either, a lot of guys have spent years trying to claw their way into the league and a lot never make it.

I get his point. But Lindell was not Niang. His experience here was not the same as Niang’s experience. About half of this board was constantly bashing Wiggi, questioning his abilities and his basketball intelligence and his motivations. I don’t think he loved being here like Niang did. I don’t think those two are even in the same stratosphere for what their experience at ISU was.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
He's going to make a lot of money in basketball. Probably not in the US but he'll do just fine for hinself.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
More like $35,000 plus the one months pay he got on his Title 10 contract. Not sure if he got a signing bonus, if he did he gets to keep that bonus if he goes to DSM. You can make good money on the two-way contracts but I don't think he's anywhere close to getting one of those.

Not thinking this was his best career financial move but if he really didn't want to play college hoops anymore than maybe best to move on.

Likely not a straight comparison to a fresh out of college job salary as I believe these guys also get a limited per diem. Not trying to make it out like a ritzy contract, but probably better than your average college grad expense account.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I am with you guys on all of this --

Wondering how LW is doing and speculating on how he could have done, had he stuck around, is fair game to me, though. Carsen Edwards would have been about the idealized version, but nothing says it was going to go that well if he stayed, too.

I think that is a great comparison. I saw a lot of Carsen's game in the way Lindell played. LW didn't achieve that level of sustained production, partly due to injury and more to longevity at ISU, but I think athletically a really good comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: Lexclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think that is a great comparison. I saw a lot of Carsen's game in the way Lindell played. LW didn't achieve that level of sustained production, partly due to injury and more to longevity at ISU, but I think athletically a really good comparison.

upload_2019-10-23_12-46-35.png

upload_2019-10-23_12-46-47.png

Wigginton as a sophomore looks a lot like Edwards as a sophomore.

They were both your quintessential elite SG stuck in a PG body.

Help Support Us

Become a patron