Wigginton signs with Timberwolves

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Now I can be a Twolves fan again maybe

I'm a dormant Wolves fan. Got really into them when they made the run with Garnett/Cassell and Hoiberg was lighting it up. Since then they haven't done much.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Hopefully he didn't end up moving all his stuff out of Ames already. Could have saved himself a bunch of money.

• Funny
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
The Timberwolves have signed rookie free agent Lindell Wigginton to a contract, according to RealGM’s transactions log. RealGM classifies it as a one-year deal, so it figures to be a non-guaranteed Exhibit 10 pact.

[RELATED: What Teams Can Do With Exhibit 10 Contracts]

Wigginton, who was a sophomore at Iowa State in 2018/19, declared for the draft as an early entrant this spring after averaging 15.3 PPG with a .397 3PT% in two college seasons. After going undrafted, the 6’2″ Canadian guard caught on with the Raptors for Summer League play, averaging 7.4 PPG on 33.3% shooting in five games (15.0 MPG) in Las Vegas.

Having officially signed Wigginton, the Timberwolves now have 19 players under contract, including 15 players with guaranteed salaries and two more on two-way deals. Tyrone Wallace is the other player without a guaranteed contract.

A post-draft report in June indicated that the Wolves would also sign undrafted rookie Tyus Battle to an Exhibit 10 deal, so he could ultimately fill out the team’s 20-man offseason roster.

RETWEETSHARESEND VIA EMAIL

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
The Timberwolves have signed rookie free agent Lindell Wigginton to a contract, according to RealGM’s transactions log. RealGM classifies it as a one-year deal, so it figures to be a non-guaranteed Exhibit 10 pact.

[RELATED: What Teams Can Do With Exhibit 10 Contracts]

Wigginton, who was a sophomore at Iowa State in 2018/19, declared for the draft as an early entrant this spring after averaging 15.3 PPG with a .397 3PT% in two college seasons. After going undrafted, the 6’2″ Canadian guard caught on with the Raptors for Summer League play, averaging 7.4 PPG on 33.3% shooting in five games (15.0 MPG) in Las Vegas.

Having officially signed Wigginton, the Timberwolves now have 19 players under contract, including 15 players with guaranteed salaries and two more on two-way deals. Tyrone Wallace is the other player without a guaranteed contract.

A post-draft report in June indicated that the Wolves would also sign undrafted rookie Tyus Battle to an Exhibit 10 deal, so he could ultimately fill out the team’s 20-man offseason roster.

RETWEETSHARESEND VIA EMAIL

The link there describes Exhibit 10 deals as:
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract-2.html
Many of those players will sign a contract with an Exhibit 10 clause. Introduced in the NBA’s most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement, Exhibit 10 contracts are one-year deals worth the minimum salary. They don’t come with any compensation protection, but can include an optional bonus ranging from $5K to $50K.
...so it sounds like the rookie minimum is guaranteed?

Or is that not guaranteed per the "compensation protection" line (there was more here bout compensation protection...http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm...in this case Exh 10 means more like "appendix 10 to the CBA", not 10 as in 10-day deal, etc:
83. Can a Two-Way player be converted to a regular NBA player? Can a regular NBA player be converted to a Two-Way player? What is Exhibit 10?
If a standard NBA contract includes an attachment called Exhibit 10, the team receives the right to convert the contract to a Two-Way contract. Whether or not an eligible contract includes an Exhibit 10 is a matter of negotiation between the player and team. To be eligible to contain an Exhibit 10, a contract must be for one season at the minimum salary, with no bonuses of any kind (other than an optional Exhibit 10 bonus), and no compensation protection (see question number 63)1.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The link there describes Exhibit 10 deals as:
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract-2.html

...so it sounds like the rookie minimum is guaranteed?

Or is that not guaranteed per the "compensation protection" line (there was more here bout compensation protection...http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm...in this case Exh 10 means more like "appendix 10 to the CBA", not 10 as in 10-day deal, etc:

I think it's basically a training camp invite, with probably a small bonus and no guaranteed money.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
Murph and Andy said, "all that trouble to end up back in central iowa playing in front of a smaller crowd". Really wish he would have stuck around for another year to grow and improve his draft stock but wish him the best and hope he can create a nice career for himself.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
If Wiggy and THT would have returned to the team in basketball and Butler would have come back for football, hype would be off the charts for both programs (I still expect both programs to be successful this year regardless.

I didn't include Montgomery in this because it's pretty clear it was the best decision for him to go pro now. All the rest listed could have improved their stock and had more college success as a cherry on top.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
15 guaranteed contracts likely means it's a tryout for their G League team (located in a region he's been to, it seems). Hopefully he'll have a solid camp and get a year or two to work in his game.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If Wiggy and THT would have returned to the team in basketball and Butler would have come back for football, hype would be off the charts for both programs (I still expect both programs to be successful this year regardless.

I didn't include Montgomery in this because it's pretty clear it was the best decision for him to go pro now. All the rest listed could have improved their stock and had more college success as a cherry on top.

I agree with all of this, and I have argued with other on here that the two basketball prospects might have been better served by returning to school -- especially LW.

Too late now, though, but I can see the other side for them, too.

It is hard to leave money on the table, even if biding their time had substantial upside risk in terms of their starting "tier" on the pecking order of NBA opportunities and salary.

DM and Butler had to go, though. The brutality and physicality of football is in another universe than basketball. They need to start making money as soon as they can. Lindell could have come back and won Big 12 player of the year before being a late first-round pick or torn an ACL and completely flamed out. Montgomery and Butler had much less to prove, in comparison, and much greater risk of something terrible happening and really setting them back.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Is he still on the team? Saw a tweet that listed all Canada players including two-way and no Wigs... Naz and Shayok were listed.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Is he still on the team? Saw a tweet that listed all Canada players including two-way and no Wigs... Naz and Shayok were listed.

He signed an off season Exhibit 10 contract. Basically a non-guaranteed contract where you get to audition for a spot in the G League. Played in an Timberwolves exhibition on the 13th. Was waived on the 14th.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
So not a two-way, got it. Is he expected to be in Des Moines or go overseas? Hope things work out for him. I believe he could have been a great Cyclone if he stuck around