Purdy ESPN Heisman List #7

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
The 30-1 odds are actually on "The Field" aka anyone other than the ones listed with actual odds (1-6 on that list). He is only on the ESPN list because 1 writer voted in the ESPN roundtable:

Throughout the season, ESPN.com writers will vote on their top Heisman candidates.

Heisman odds: Field 30-1
Love the optimism and that he is getting attention, but want to keep it in check and not think he is getting the same national attention (deservedly) as Justin Fields, Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
The 30-1 odds are actually on "The Field" aka anyone other than the ones listed with actual odds (1-6 on that list). He is only on the ESPN list because 1 writer voted in the ESPN roundtable:

Love the optimism and that he is getting attention, but want to keep it in check and not think he is getting the same national attention (deservedly) as Justin Fields, Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts.
He'll get his chance against Jalen Hurts in a few weeks, and (hopefully) Joe Burrow on January 1st.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Currently, the Heisman often goes to the best player on the best team, or at least the best player on a team in the top four or so teams. Troy Davis was the best player, but he was on a team that struggled--a team that was not on TV, and many voters argued that Troy got the ball in blowout losses more to pad his stats.

Brock Purdy, being a quarterback, has a great opportunity next year if he continues to improve and if the team continues to improve. It is a great time to be a Cyclone, isn't it?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I agree but during games, you are always hearing Brock being listed with these other guys. He's setting himself up really nice to be on the radar next season.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Looks like 75-1, not 750-1. I don't think he'll win...this year. I just like the publicity! Changed the thread title. I didn't realize ESPN gives the entire field 30-1 odds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191022-130103.png
    Screenshot_20191022-130103.png
    289.9 KB · Views: 38

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was just looking at QB #s the other day and thought about how he's right there. Of course I know the way the Heisman works is actually "best offensive player on a top 3 ranked team", but still cool that he's right there with that list.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Currently, the Heisman often goes to the best player on the best team, or at least the best player on a team in the top four or so teams. Troy Davis was the best player, but he was on a team that struggled--a team that was not on TV, and many voters argued that Troy got the ball in blowout losses more to pad his stats.

Brock Purdy, being a quarterback, has a great opportunity next year if he continues to improve and if the team continues to improve. It is a great time to be a Cyclone, isn't it?

Hiesman formula for nearly every voter:
Best offensive player on the team I think is going to be ranked #1 to end the year.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Hiesman formula for nearly every voter:
Best offensive player on the team I think is going to be ranked #1 to end the year.

Clemson hasn't had anyone recently win Heisman and Alabama has 2 in 10 years.

You certainly don't need to be #1 team, but likely need to be top 10-15.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy

Help Support Us

Become a patron