Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Was it this one by chance?
https://www.samsclub.com/p/masterbu...grill-smoker/prod23131880?xid=plp_product_1_5

I've decided I want a pellet grill as I've been using a Weber kettle up until now but I don't really want to drop $600 on something. Maybe I should scour craigslist

Also, does anyone with a pellet grill have problems with it getting hot enough to cook steaks and burgers? If they don't actually get hot enough to make it an all in one smoker / grill I'd probably go another route

I know it's made by ember's which used to be brinkman. They home depot sells the ember's which is the same thing

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Started with a WSM. Loved it.

Had a Masterbuilt electric. Hated it, sold it. Not for me.

Have an Acorn. Love it, also for grilling. Just as good as the Green Egg at way less cost.

Just bought a Pit Boss pellet smoker. First reaction, it's way way less work than anything I've used previously and the meat has been great. I was afraid I was drying out the meat because it had a bit different look than I was used to with either of the charcoal burners. But it was great and the best smoke rings I have ever had. The versatility and ease of the pellet burner makes weekend long smokes way less of a hassle.

When I upgrade it will be to a pit boss great pellet smoker and warranty.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
The thing that I would have some reservations about with buying a non Traeger, GM, Rec Tec, is that if you need parts in the future. I know you're going to need a new rod or fan at some point, and the brands I listed are reputable and you shouldn't have a problem locating them.

Thus far that is the reason why I haven't bought a pellet smoker. Too many moving parts. Ease of use is great but something can break. A Weber Smokey Mountain may be more challenging to use but no moving parts. I am kinda drawn to the old school.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Thus far that is the reason why I haven't bought a pellet smoker. Too many moving parts. Ease of use is great but something can break. A Weber Smokey Mountain may be more challenging to use but no moving parts. I am kinda drawn to the old school.
A have a WSM and pellet and there are great reasons to own either or both for sure.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
to the OP's original question, I believe that is a great smoker to start with. It requires you to learn and understand so much about smoking because of how it's set up. that said, smoking is so subjective and EVERYONE literally has their opinion on what works best, which smoker is the greatest and what is easiest. fact is, depending on YOU, some or all may be accurate.

for example, I personally like a brisket on a charcoal/wood (with water pan) smoker. BUT, it's a giant pain in the ass to monitor temp as opposed to putting it on my GM and letting it sit there. that said, I never would know had I not done both...many times.

find a good website dedicated to the craft and learn. go to a class and learn. experiment and learn. there is a ton of SCIENCE in smoking and as long as you have a basic understanding of that, you'll figure the rest out by reading an tinkering.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a class around the metro?

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Was it this one by chance?
https://www.samsclub.com/p/masterbu...grill-smoker/prod23131880?xid=plp_product_1_5

I've decided I want a pellet grill as I've been using a Weber kettle up until now but I don't really want to drop $600 on something. Maybe I should scour craigslist

Also, does anyone with a pellet grill have problems with it getting hot enough to cook steaks and burgers? If they don't actually get hot enough to make it an all in one smoker / grill I'd probably go another route
I have not had great experience searing with my GMG, you could probably do a burger, but if you want a really hard sear there's no substitute for charcoal or a cast iron on a gas stove IMHO.

Reactions: ILikeTurtles

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Yeah I mean if that works for you that's great but that doesn't work for a lot of people.
With a Traeger (or Green Mountain) there is a vent pipe cap, and with a Weber SM, I put a small foil bead pan upside down on the top vent, and I get zero issues with water in either unit. So they can be on the deck with zero issues.
Then I guess it isn't for everyone.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Does anyone have a recommendation for a class around the metro?

there used to be a class each year that the local BBQ guys would put on. I took a class at ISU and Big Moe Cason and Darren, the owner of Smokey D's put it on...might give them a call and ask. We got a tour of the meat lab at ISU and everything.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Three 17 lb briskets going on 16 hours. Started at 150 for 3 hours, 180 for 8 hours, 200 for 5 hours, and up to 230 now to finish them.

View attachment 67816

giphy.gif

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Three 17 lb briskets going on 16 hours. Started at 150 for 3 hours, 180 for 8 hours, 200 for 5 hours, and up to 230 now to finish them. This is on a GMG Daniel Boone with the second rack I added. My motto is " Fill the Smoker".

View attachment 67816

that is awesome...your grease bucket will be emptied a few times for a smoke that long with that fatty meat....be sure to show the finished product.

Reactions: zarnold56

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
here is one smoke...brisket, ribs, thighs and pork loin...the burnt ends are missing because they were back on the smoker getting some additional crisp. I finished them in my cast iron skillet to get a little crisp on the outside

Attachments

• food.jpg
    food.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 37

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
No good pics just some of what I had that was left which wasn't much. A good 1/4" smoke ring!! I also use a water bath in my smoker. But yes, 150 really works. That is why they always say, "Low and Slow". Grease bucket was to the rim!! Left it outside overnight. A little hot water around the outside of the bucket and a big clump of grease later in a plastic back and that was an easy cleanup!

upload_2019-10-25_8-55-14.png

Reactions: JP4CY