Gallbladder Surgery

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My wife and her sister have had it done. After changing her food intake it doesn’t seem to bother her. You will need to cut out greasy foods or prepare for the aftermath. Get a strong terlet.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
It’s a serious operation, probably don’t want to wait until it’s an emergency type situation.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Had mine removed in an emergency operation. Not a big deal, 3 tiny little incisions. Removed on a Saturday AM, back to work on Tuesday.

• Informative
Reactions: Althetuna

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Had mine done laproscopically - four little scars, each would fit under a dime. Technically the fourth scar is inside my bellybutton so you don't see it at all. Really helped. The recovery wasn't that bad, but you'll know you've got holes in your abs for a while. I sneezed a couple days after the surgery and thought I was going to die. Seriously though that was the worst part.

• Informative

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Had mine done laproscopically - four little scars, each would fit under a dime. Technically the fourth scar is inside my bellybutton so you don't see it at all. Really helped. The recovery wasn't that bad, but you'll know you've got holes in your abs for a while. I sneezed a couple days after the surgery and thought I was going to die. Seriously though that was the worst part.

@Althetuna speaking from experience here, pinch the end of your nose (to stop the sneeze) or hold a pillow over your midsection. Coughing too.

• Informative

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I just got home from the hospital. Doctor is recommending I have my gallbladder removed.

Please provide any insight you may have.

Thanks.
I, literally, just had mine taken out last Wednesday. Of course since I also had a herniated umbilical chord, it was done at the same time. The operation was smooth. First two days was like being in a body cast. Sleeping of course difficult. The next thing which most don't know is they pump you up with a gas for the operation. As that stuff moved around after the surgery during its dissipation, that was painful. I wasn't able to return to desk work until 3 days after. But, now my hunger is back and life is great. If for not being restricted to any/all lifting for the next 5 weeks, I'd say it was all great. But sitting inside for 5 weeks is going to be a killer for me.
Mine was also complicated by being on blood thinners. Lovenox is the pits.
Good luck. Doctor choice is the BIGGEST decision. I had a very good one.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Did it...took care of the issues I was experiencing prior to the procedure. Been a decade. Can't even remember what I used to feel like prior but I was constantly at the doctor trying to feel better. I remember the recovery taking a couple of days but it was worth it!

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Are you some kind of super smart baby?
Wish I were. I got fat, but still did allot of heavy lifting. Things like that push the sucker back out. Lived with it for 7 years, but the doc said it was time to fix it cause it was reaching a point where it could get serious. Life has a way of exploiting our invincibility.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Maybe you should try essential oils!
vauEUgn.gif

(seriously, don't do this)

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Had it removed in an emergency operation on a Friday, was back at work pretty quick.

• Informative

Cydaddy

Aug 20, 2012
Don't do what I did. 8 or 9 years ago was having pains in early Dec but put it off. They passed, but on 12-30 couldn't stand it. Went in on New Year's Eve, but didn't have surgery until after New Year's. Was too infected so couldn't do liposcpic. Was in the hospital for a week and had to pay TWO deductibles. Worst pain I ever had and I have had a heart valve replaced. That pain was nothing.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I had mine taken out about 6 months ago during a scheduled procedure. I've had gall bladder issues off and on for years, but then suddenly I was passing stones on a regular basis and with no real way to predict when it would happen. I even completely changed my diet, eating only the most bland of lean meats, vegetables and fruits, it slowed them down but didn't stop them.

The gall bladder/stone attacks happened a couple of times at work and that's when I decided I had to just bite the bullet and have it taken out. I hate having to get medical treatment of any kind, so surgery is a big deal to me. However, it all went really smoothly. Gall bladder removal, or "cholesystectomy" as the technical term, I think is the 8th most common surgical procedure performed in hospitals. However, even though this was a scheduled, non-emergency procedure, the bills were insane. So make sure you have that all squared away beforehand. They billed my high deductible insurance plan $19,300 just for the surgery facility alone, not even including the surgeon or other peripherals. That all got knocked down to more reasonable, but still insane, levels.

Haven't had any issues since removal. Was able to eat whatever I wanted almost right away. Had the surgery on a Wednesday, was released from the surgery center after being there only about 5 hours total, and was easily back to work in the office on Monday. Like previously mentioned, they cut through your abs so laughing is painful for the first few days, as well as just general moving around. Was hitting the gym again after about 3 weeks.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
When mine left it ushered me from youth to middle age.

Help Support Us

Become a patron