RAGBRAI Organizers Split from Register

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
To me, the fact that not only TJ left, but the entire RAGBRAI staff left is telling, and is lost on some of the people defending the Register/Ganett in this ordeal.

The staff was 4 people. I thought it would be like 20 people and if it was I thought it would be a big deal. Since it is 4 they can be replaced. There are a lot of other ride organizers across the US that would jump at the idea of planning the largest ride in the US.

• Agree
Reactions: cyson

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The staff was 4 people. I thought it would be like 20 people and if it was I thought it would be a big deal. Since it is 4 they can be replaced. There are a lot of other ride organizers across the US that would jump at the idea of planning the largest ride in the US.

I was wondering how big the staff was. Were they all FT? It would be fairly difficult to change the feel of RAGBRAI unless they stop over-nighting in the smaller towns/cities. Does anyone know how much control RAGBRAI has on the vendors on the route? I always thought it was up to the counties/towns to license who is there.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't doubt that aspect, my intent with the message is at least to me it lends some credibility to TJ's claims, versus it being a purely opportunistic move. To get the entire (yes 4) people on the staff to leave with him, tells me he either had a golden opportunity, or his claims of the Register violating their ideals do have merit. Personally I don't see a competitive ride on the same week as the largest ride in the US being a golden opportunity; on the surface it seems like a recipe for failure.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I see the main "issue" between TJ and the DMR is the operating/management process of the DMR. I believe TJ thinks the editors may have made mistakes but the real issue is that when the news you print has to processed through non-local owners and New York public relations experts, you aren't being a true journalist. He wanted to to do it his way and he didn't get to do it.

I miss the days when newspapers had competitors; morning and evening publications with pages and pages of coverage and insight separated into news and opinion sections. Spending Sundays with the Big Peach and it's coverage of all things sports.

I was in Des Moines when RAGBRAI got started. I didn't pay much attention to it but as I remember it, there was a mock feud between two columnists. Something about who could or couldn't ride a bicycle for distance. Anyway, as a refugee from Iowa for 46 years, RAGBRAI was high on my list of "Iowa" things I was proud to tell people about. I hope it is not lost.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue at hand. There is no "journalism" involved in the Register communicating to the public through RAGBRAI. TJ was never a journalist being censored by PR people. He was an employee of a company who never for one moment - whether he thinks he did or not - had the right to say whatever he wanted about the event he was hired to manage. Or to distance that event from the company that owns it and employs him. Of course corporate PR people are going to get involved - it's a major public relations issue!

I can't imagine TJ was that dumb - though watching him handle this in the past week has me reconsidering that position - but I'm sure he's happy to let the RAGBRAI community think that.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue at hand. There is no "journalism" involved in the Register communicating to the public through RAGBRAI. TJ was never a journalist being censored by PR people. He was an employee of a company who never for one moment - whether he thinks he did or not - had the right to say whatever he wanted about the event he was hired to manage. Or to distance that event from the company that owns it and employs him.

I can't imagine TJ was that dumb - though watching him handle this in the past week has me reconsidering that position - but I'm sure he's happy to let the RAGBRAI community think that.
The part you don’t seem to get is they hired him and the rest of the staff to run a successful bike ride. Part of that is knowing how to get people to participate.

TJs professional view on that was that RAGBRAI needed to clarify that they are a separate event that doesn’t necessarily share the views of the paper. The Register is free to disagree with that opinion but that means they lose their staff.

I also think it’s important to note that while the Register technically owns RAGBRAI the event is bigger than the paper. They are the ones that are destroying the event. From everything we have heard they were wanting to end it in the future. I still see this as them offering a ride that can continue even if it doesn’t have the name.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue at hand. There is no "journalism" involved in the Register communicating to the public through RAGBRAI. TJ was never a journalist being censored by PR people. He was an employee of a company who never for one moment - whether he thinks he did or not - had the right to say whatever he wanted about the event he was hired to manage. Or to distance that event from the company that owns it and employs him. Of course corporate PR people are going to get involved - it's a major public relations issue!

He had every right to say what he wanted. He just couldn't say it as a Register employee. Because of that he his no longer an employee of the Regsiter, and we are now in this unfortunate position.

Per his own words (the interview) the statements the Register gave him to make put him in a compromising situation to run a successful RAGBRAI, hence his resignation.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
He had every right to say what he wanted. He just couldn't say it as a Register employee. Because of that he his no longer an employee of the Regsiter, and we are now in this unfortunate position.

Correct. People seem to think I'm advocating for whatever the Register's position was. I'm not. I'm simply saying it was the Register's event and they have the right to manage it as they see fit - including what their employees say about it in public.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Correct. People seem to think I'm advocating for whatever the Register's position was. I'm not. I'm simply saying it was the Register's event and they have the right to manage it as they see fit - including what their employees say about it in public.

Ah sorry, we are essentially saying the same thing. I think (know) some don't understand this relationship, and its particular consequences as we see here. (removed disagree ;))

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I agree. And the employees have the right to decline and resign.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
When was the conference planned? Was/is Ragbrai a participan? Which ride is the guy who blasts the Iowa Fight Song the whole route choosing?

No idea when but big conferences are usually planned well in advance.
You think TJ is going to promote both rides at his conference? lol

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Iowa’s Ride changed their dates to the week before RAGBRAI.
Not as much support as they thought they would get?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
So, whatever happened to this?

I see traditional RAGBRAI is on this week. How's the attendance etc?

Thought I had heard the Iowa Ride guys canceled their week ride for 2021, and instead were doing a long weekend thing instead (could be mistaken). Traditional RAGBRAI is going on right now, but I haven't heard practically anything about it this year - seems weird, especially after taking a year off.