Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

ISUConE

Feb 1, 2019
I am going through a similar weight loss transition. In high school I was a four sport athlete and weighed about 175. Now at 34, I peaked out at about 255. Ate fast food or junk nearly every meal and could hardly keep up with my kids. I decided to do the whole 30 diet in late August and liked it enough to keep going. With a few cheat meals and drinks after the first month. I’m down to 215 and hope to get to 200 by the end of the year. The most important thing is I’ve learned to look at ingredients and keep track of what I’m eating. The weight loss was nearly all from healthy eating and now I’m starting to exercise more. Walking on the track, treadmill, some free weights, and at home workouts. Nothing extreme yet. I like the app called 8fit because you can do at home workouts that are at all different levels. I’m doing the easy workouts that last about 10 minutes and burn 200+ calories. Check it out, it’s a good way to get back into exercising after not doing anything for years. Good luck.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Good luck! Low carb and start walking, if you do that, you should be able to hit 50 lbs by April.

Reactions: cyclone4L

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Best of luck!

I'm up to 209 right now. Heaviest I have ever been. I work too much and with the new baby, two girls, etc., I've quit making any time at all for myself. Point is, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. We all struggle with this at some point. I'm really wanting to get back into shape too. Your courage is very motivating to me. Thank you for sharing your story. We are all stronger because of it.

Please let us know here on CF if we can do anything to help. We are in your corner.

Also, I just joined "Fight Camp." I don't have time for the gym anymore. Have some weights and a treadmill in my basement. Got me a boxing bag and some gloves. Hoping that this is a convenient way for me to get after it. I'll report back and let you guys know how I like it.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This has been me for about 8 years. Better result for me than red meat heavy life or trying vegetarian for two years.

To get the benefits of heavy red meat diet you have to eat "clean". Most people have never done this (even though this is how human-beings in many parts of the planet ate for thousands of years) . No sugars. No processed foods. No grains (whole or otherwise). Little or no fruits or veggies.

https://perfectketo.com/carnivore-diet/

(just past a year on this).

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Best of luck!

I'm up to 209 right now. Heaviest I have ever been. I work too much and with the new baby, two girls, etc., I've quit making any time at all for myself. Point is, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. We all struggle with this at some point. I'm really wanting to get back into shape too. Your courage is very motivating to me. Thank you for sharing your story. We are all stronger because of it.

Please let us know here on CF if we can do anything to help. We are in your corner.

Also, I just joined "Fight Camp." I don't have time for the gym anymore. Have some weights and a treadmill in my basement. Got me a boxing bag and some gloves. Hoping that this is a convenient way for me to get after it. I'll report back and let you guys know how I like it.

It's critical to do what you can and not hold yourself to some ridiculous standard about working out. If you've got 15 minutes, work out for 15 minutes. Maybe there will be 30 minutes tomorrow or an hour later in the week. Grab the time you've got and do something. And then keep repeating it as much as you can.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Seriously guys, I can’t thank you enough for all the advice! This is really what makes Cyclone Nation so unique and so awesome.

I’m going to test around with the diets to see which ones I will actually stick with. I know the Keto ones require you to go in Ketosis, but just eating that food alone is better than what I’m eating now. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t eat fast food at least once a day. My go-to was usually the “meal for 2” at Popeyes. Did I mention I’m fat?

On a serious note, this really made my day. It’s great to see some joining in and others talking about it with their families. That’s so cool. I’m going to sleep soundly tonight! Goodnight guys.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Seriously guys, I can’t thank you enough for all the advice! This is really what makes Cyclone Nation so unique and so awesome.

I’m going to test around with the diets to see which ones I will actually stick with. I know the Keto ones require you to go in Ketosis, but just eating that food alone is better than what I’m eating now. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t eat fast food at least once a day. My go-to was usually the “meal for 2” at Popeyes. Did I mention I’m fat?

On a serious note, this really made my day. It’s great to see some joining in and others talking about it with their families. That’s so cool. I’m going to sleep soundly tonight! Goodnight guys.

When I see the "Meal for 2" Popeye's commercial I usually joke in my head, "more like a meal for one."

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Getting to this late, but wanted to share my experience. I was around 200 lbs in HS (I'm 6'2") so never really terribly overweight, just not fit. Got all the way up to 235 sophomore year at ISU. Then worked it all the way down to 185 prior to getting married right after ISU. However, even then, I was just skinny, not fit.

The last few years were yo-yos for me. I'd get up to around 220 or 225 during the winter, then train for and run a half marathon in the summer while getting down to 210 or 215, then put that 10 lbs back on the following winter. I could lose weight, but never really felt fit and never changed my diet. I always put it back on in the winter.

I did the Farrell's Extreme Bodyshaping 10 week program starting back in April this year. I lost 21 lbs during the challenge. I joined as a full-time member and have kept going. I'm down to around 180 lbs now (41 lbs lost). I started at 26% body fat and now I'm around 9/10%. The community accountability and scheduled workouts have been huge for me. Now the key is to keep the weight off through the winter, which continuing to work out will be a big factor. I've been told if you can keep it off for 2 years, your chances of keeping it off forever are much greater.

My advice, similar to others, is that what you do/do not eat is 80% of the success. Even in the Farrell's program, I saw people who came to workout 6 days a week, but didn't change their diet, with limited results. I cut out all sweets from February until June. Then slowly allowed myself to indulge, but only once I hit the "maintenance stage." I cut out all processed foods; no pop, bread, pasta, white potatoes, or rice, either. I've opened up my diet a bit in the last month or so, but still try to keep refined carbs low and still workout 5 days a week. High protein, lower carbs is a good starting point.

I still track food using myfitnesspal. Mostly that's to keep track of macros (carbs/fat/protein) to make sure I'm meeting my goals. I don't worry as much about calories, but I try to eat 2200-2500 a day.

Good luck!

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
you want someone to join you? You want a few people to join you? @ChrisMWilliams you want to join this November - April challenge and we can all make a pledge and donate to a charity?

This could be it's own deal, spearheaded by @cyclone4L and those of us who want to get healthier can be a part of it.

I'm going to be 47 in a bit and need to get in shape. Weigh 238 pounds and should be 220-225 and be able to move a little better. I could use a little accountability and people need other people to be successful in these types of things.

IDK...just an idea. If not, I'm cheering for you. You only get one go around...don't waste it. :)

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
@throwittoblythe Is MyFitnessPal the app that you scan barcodes and it stores the information for you?

Yes! Anything with a bar code can be scanned and it will pull all the nutrition information for you.

Sometimes you have to guess on things, especially if you're eating at a local restaurant, but for those things close enough is fine...so long as you're honest with what you ate.

It also has a great feature to pull in recipes from websites. So, if you make something from a website, you can link the app to that website and it will put together the ingredients/recipe/nutrition for you. It's not 100% accurate, but usually I can import an online recipe in less than 10 minutes.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Is there something about this time of year that gets people thinking about how fat they are? The day this thread came out I was sitting here thinking I needed to do something with myself.

I'm 6'4 and 290. I have been that way for a while now. A few years ago I won the Kosama challenge and got down to 270ish, but I started that over 300.

I agree with what everyone has said. Eating is most of it. Exercise just makes you feel better and not crave the **** you would normally eat, just my experience there.

I plan to get my kids involved this time. I have 2 teenagers and I am thinking about making weekly bets with them about how much weight I can drop. Nothing stupid mind you, just like 1-2lbs a week. Have a little weigh in on Monday mornings or something. Accountability is the key, and nothing will keep me motivated like having my kids rail on me for failing.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
One thing you might consider is looking at this as a marathon and not a sprint. Make little changes to your routine that you can work into your life and maintain. Don't set yourself up with some goal to drop 50 lbs in 10 weeks. While it can be done you can make yourself feel like you failed if you don't.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
you want someone to join you? You want a few people to join you? @ChrisMWilliams you want to join this November - April challenge and we can all make a pledge and donate to a charity?

This could be it's own deal, spearheaded by @cyclone4L and those of us who want to get healthier can be a part of it.

I'm going to be 47 in a bit and need to get in shape. Weigh 238 pounds and should be 220-225 and be able to move a little better. I could use a little accountability and people need other people to be successful in these types of things.

IDK...just an idea. If not, I'm cheering for you. You only get one go around...don't waste it. :)

I like this idea. I already mentioned I'd be on board with joining @cyclone4L but it'd be great if more people did.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron