Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'll join cyclone4L on the getting healthy. I'm about 40 pounds overweight and on blood pressure medicine.

regarding the healthy eating, any ideas for some easy sides to prepare? I don't want to get in a rut of eating a salad with some lean protein for every meal.

Mashed sweet potatoes. It will change your life. I am going to keep it simple. Roasted veggies, cottage cheese, some fruit.

They aren't that different and thus you do need to watch those too.

Yeah, the issue is that when one of those is taken in, it comes with about double the sugar and no other redeeming ingredients.

Listen, if your sugar intake is too high because you're eating to much fruit and there are adverse affects, let me know.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Good luck. I've found moderation has helped me the most. Instead of 5 pieces of pizza in the past, it's no more than 2. I have found it so hard to completely cut out a specific food or food type. I'm not losing as fast as I'd like (I can stand to lose about 25), but it's slow and steady and hopefully will stay off if I stay moderated.

Reactions: cyclone4L

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Mashed sweet potatoes. It will change your life. I am going to keep it simple. Roasted veggies, cottage cheese, some fruit.

Yeah, the issue is that when one of those is taken in, it comes with about double the sugar and no other redeeming ingredients.

Listen, if your sugar intake is too high because you're eating to much fruit and there are adverse affects, let me know.

I second the mashed sweet potatoes, and totally agree that its life changing. I eat that every single day. Does wonders for digestion.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I've been staying in touch with this thread all day. Oddly, tonight my wife and her friend didn't want to hear the 'news' of the day because it's always do dismal and hateful. Instead I offered up this thread for discussion. Basically, I think everyone on here should be thanked for the sincere and heartfelt advice. Rarely, do we see a thread with so much support and so little negativity.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I didn't read through all the posts, so this may a duplicate post. I have struggled with my weight most my adult life too.

The one thing that is critical is accountability. Don't try to do this on your own - find a person, find a group and find a routine to check-in with them regularly. It's too easy to compromise and make poor choices when nobody is watching, but having someone else you need to be honest and transparent with regarding your eating habits is critical.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.

Well, you are fat! I am also and I can relate. College 155, ended 160, leveled off around 170 for years.Got an office job and ballooned to 220 in 6 months. What I found was portion control and just being active. It’s really just math and a free app like MyFitnessPal is a nice tool. I also became lazy again and got up to 225, down to 215 now. my clothes are tight, I have high cholesterol and I will lose 40 lbs by the time I hit 40 in May. Self control and discipline, we can both do this man!

• Funny

MrTippet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2009
Personally I enjoy walking in the morning before I go to work (not ideal this time of year). I found the more I walked in the morning the better I felt all day long. It was a good time to listen to a podcast or book on tape and get ready for the day. I also saw an article recently saying exercising before eating breakfast in the morning is more effective. Now with two kids I find less time in the morning but when I did I was in the best shape I had been in years.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
A past employer offered this program for free, www.naturallyslim.com. It really works and is not a diet. It is just changing the way you eat, when you eat. I lost 20 lbs in 10 weeks and have kept it off (within 5 lbs, but easy to get that back off) for 8 years.

You can truly eat what you want, even drink beer. Check out the site and see what employers offer this program to their employees.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Good luck to you man. I think for all of us the time comes where we have to change our habits. I try to eat fairly healthy (but not on a diet) and stay fairly active (but not on a consistent workout schedule). I'm 5'10" and about 215-220, get much above that and it's time to cut back on the beer and get more workouts.

Lots of talks in here about going for walks, which I think is essential a few times a day if you have an office job. I know this isn't possible for everyone, but I'm very fortunate to live close (2 miles) to work, in a town that is extremely bicycle friendly. I ride my bike everywhere - work, going out, to blow off steam after work, etc. There are even times I meet my wife downtown for a concert or dinner and ride my bike while she drives, just to get the body moving some more. I'm convinced that biking alone keeps my weight and condition in check, which allows me to not have to diet much.

If you're in Iowa, there are lots of biking communities around. It's a fun way to get exercise and meet people, and be outside not stuck in a gym. Weather this time of year makes it harder, but it's definitely an option out there.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Good luck! Small changes go a long ways. Cut out soda, instead of eating a candy bar, eat an apple, ect. Do what works for you; I recommend weight watchers. I've dropped 40 pounds doing that. Two years ago I was 245; I'm currently at 205.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'm sorry I didn't read all of the posts, but I feel my diet has been the easiest I've ever done. I keep my sugar grams under 25/day. You may say that you don't eat sweets, but I ended up giving up milk. That bowl of cereal every day was an easy 50g. I loved ketchup, stopped using that and forced myself to like mustard or salsa. Not only did I lose weight, but IBS, joint pain, anxiety, heart palpitations almost all went away. I figured my blood work would suffer as I ate egg mcmuffins almost 4 days a week at the start. But ALL of my numbers have improved. Sugar is evil!

Diet pop is not a great alternative either, it tricks your body. I don't care about carbs, I just watch sugar grams. I even stayed off fruit for the first few months just to get my body not craving sugar. I lost 30 pounds or so in a couple months. I started around 295 and I'm steady at 265. I am 6'2.5" and ran a marathon at 275 years ago, so I'm not your typical fat ass.

I am not so fanatical about it as I feel more than comfortable in my clothes, but if I get that motivation I go a week without any of those things I mentioned above and another 5 pounds drop off. But most of the time I have little cheats, like a donut or candy bar. But it doesn't interest me nearly as much as it did. But it's really hard for me to go to McDonald's and have a large coke, that's 3 days worth of sugar. I found that I ate much worse as a "reward" for staying away from sugar, and it didn't matter what I ate I lost weight. Of course I don't eat a lot, just ate poorly, so we may be a bit different. I've tried the Keto/low-carb diets, but I could never do that for the long term.

This has been so easy that it's just my regular life now. I drink tito's and La'Croix mostly, pretty much gave up beer. I'm hoping to increase my gym life this winter after I'm done golfing and hope to get under 250 for the first time since just after high school. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

Buy a used bicycle that fits you. Scout and drive your planned route. You don't say how old you are, but if you are younger than 70, begin by riding 5 miles every day. Gradually, work up to 20 miles every day, outside preferably. Register for RAGBRAI, or whatever it's going to be called. Go on training rides. Of course, you will finish. Forget about how much weight you are going to lose.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I’ve had good luck with shakes. I’ll get a meal replacement powder and I’ll load it up. I usually add spinach, dozen blueberries, a cup of yogurt and a dash of ginger. I’ll have that for lunch with a handful of almonds. Almonds are magic in terms of appetite suppression for me. Then, at night, I’ll have meat and a vegetable. After a week, I feel a lot better. I’ve also done all meat for a week and it worked really well in terms of how I feel but I got sick of it. I’ll be going back to doing this with 16/8 IF and fasted workouts early with maybe some light cardio in the afternoon. The last time I went real hard in an intense workout program which was 1.5 hours of high intensity cardio I wasn’t ready, I overstrained (lol) and felt like **** for a month.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Good luck my friend. You realize you are not alone. Many people struggle with obesity. Definitely see your doctor before starting any plan. Dieticians at Hy Vee can provide meal plans, goals and support if you want to get information on that. You sound motivated! Best of luck to you. Look forward to your posts. If you skip a post, do know someone here will call you out wanting to know why. :)

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

what the Netflix Doc. called the Game Changer. you eat like they recommend, the fat will come off pretty effortlessly. Also follow coach Scott Abel on Facebook and You Tube, best in the business.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

The best motivation is self motivation and feeling that control over what you're doing is invigorating in itself.

But why wait until November 1? Go get it and start now!