Are special teams part of the "process"?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Pretty such the Iowa game was where Lang tried to run out a kick that he had no chance to return, got stopped at the 10 and them ISU got a penalty to boot. That one really set Iowa up to score.

I felt that was the play of the game. Iowa returned the punt to around the 25. They wouldn't have scored a touchdown otherwise.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
By your logic there are 2. Either way there is only 1 wheel.

But there are two spots with two teams a head of us. One of which beat us and the other gets to host us at their place. We're hardly in the driver's seat to make the Big 12 Championship.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
But there are two spots with two teams a head of us. One of which beat us and the other gets to host us at their place. We're hardly in the driver's seat to make the Big 12 Championship.

Just because the road is rough doesn't mean you aren't driving. If we go through the season with 1 big 12 loss, (we should technically hold the tiebreaker over OU for the championship game.) There is a whole lot more season to play, I am guessing that 1 two loss big 12 team will be playing in the championship game. It probably won't be us, but if we win out I am guessing the chances of Iowa State playing in that game is pretty high.

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019
Assalley is 7-10 on the year for field goals. 2 of the misses were 49-yard attempts in the Baylor game. The completion % for P5 kickers from that range is about 50%, not unusual to miss. He is 32-33 on PATs. That's pretty damn good in my book for a walk-on.

Narveson nailed a 45-yard FG against WVU. He missed a 42-yard attempt against Tech, and then over-corrected and missed the 2nd 42-yard attempt. That's going to be expected for a freshman.

Kicking hasn't been perfect, but ISU seems to make a lot of 40+ yard attempts. That's not setting your kicker up for success.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Assalley is 7-10 on the year for field goals. 2 of the misses were 49-yard attempts in the Baylor game. The completion % for P5 kickers from that range is about 50%, not unusual to miss. He is 32-33 on PATs. That's pretty damn good in my book for a walk-on.

Narveson nailed a 45-yard FG against WVU. He missed a 42-yard attempt against Tech, and then over-corrected and missed the 2nd 42-yard attempt. That's going to be expected for a freshman.

Kicking hasn't been perfect, but ISU seems to make a lot of 40+ yard attempts. That's not setting your kicker up for success.

And the 2nd team UNI guy made 2 50 yarders against ISU. Still, I will agree that the offense has not left the kickers in good spots. Most of those longer kicks were because an offensive penalty.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Didn't we have a highly rated kicking coach a year or so ago? What happened to him? And is that part of the current problem?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Never thought I would see the day when an ISU team was ranked with a 5-2 record at this point in the season and people ******** because it is not good enough.

Must be a sign of success.

• Funny
Reactions: Yorel Fusspucker

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
who cares about special teams?? Kickers and punters aren't really football players, am I right?

Tony Gunk

Jul 12, 2017
NE Iowa
My takeaway from this thread - arguing if special teams is the reason we are not 7-0 instead of 5-2... Think about that for a minute and how far the program has come in a short amount of time.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Special teams isn't just a this year problem. All sorts of issues with it last year. Blocked punt for a TD against TT and a blocked FG for a TD against WV. I think we had a blocked PAT or FG against Okie State. It could have cost us some wins last year. There were probably more instances.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Special teams isn't just a this year problem. All sorts of issues with it last year. Blocked punt for a TD against TT and a blocked FG for a TD against WV. I think we had a blocked PAT or FG against Okie State. It could have cost us some wins last year. There were probably more instances.

Missed kick in the Alamo Bowl lost the game too

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron