Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Good luck man. There isn't any magic secret or diet plan out there. You need a lifestyle change and not a diet or you will just put it all back on again. I have a friend that has lost over 100 pounds three different times in his life and he is bigger now than he has ever been. It isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle and something you have to do for the rest of your life.

Move more, eat less. That's all it takes.

So much this.

Diets are great to drop weight initially, but you need to have a plan in place to change your eating/exercising habits once you get there. A friend of mine has dropped 30-40 lbs about 3 different times and falls back into old patterns once he loses it.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Sitting around 270 now and was around 200 when I graduated high school in 03. I've dropped 10-20 just like that so many times and then climbed right back up. Losing it is easy compared to keeping it off. My advice, which I need to do a better job of following myself, is to not get too high or low. When you drop 10 in a week or two, stay the course. When you have a weekend of weakness, jump back in and headed in the right direction right away. It's a marathon that you have to set long term realistic goals for. You can definitely do it with the right attitude and mentality. Good luck!

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Have you lifted in the past? Highschool, etc? If so, and you can hold yourself accountable to go 3 times a week. Then just start lifting Core and legs will help burn the most. The best workout you can do is swimming. If you can swim a mile or so 3-4 times a week you will notice a lot of improvement

I haven’t ever had a weight problem, but I still remember after I left college my doctor recommending incorporating weight lifting as part of my exercise routine, as muscle tissue requires more calories, so long as you fight the urge to eat more because of this. Along with other benefits of strength training that can help with your joints, BP, etc.

Add running, biking, swimming to this and you’ve got a good mix

Reactions: cyclone4L

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It is a lifestyle change, not a "diet". Hope you have a good plan and good luck to you! Unsolicited advice: drop sugar and processed foods. A lot of the soreness you are experiencing is due to the inflamation that is caused by some of the foods as much if not more, than your weight itself. I'm much stricter than than just dropping sugar and processed foods(over a year now) and am very, very happy with results. Ironically at first it was the hardest adjustment to my eating habits I've ever done, but now it is the easiest.

I don't want to hijack your thread, so please message me if you are interested in any information on what I've been doing successfully for almost 13 mos now.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Simplest steps to take on a road that seems long and daunting is just activity. Even if that is walking more around your office or neighborhood. Standing rather than sitting if you have that option at work, etc. I know many people who saw marked improvement just by monitoring intake on an app and regularly walking.

Obviously, it will take more than that to get to your goal, but it's the easiest first step. Props to you on making this goal for yourself and hoping this will keep you accountable. It can be hard to motivate yourself at times, so having supporters is always helpful.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Put exercise on your calendar, and treat it just like any other appointment/meeting.

I have found that packing my lunch is a good way to control my diet. Only eat what you bring.

Night time snacking will likely be the hardest challenge.

Accountability is key, and good on you for posting your goals here. GREAT START! Along those lines, find a partner if you can. I have a workout partner for mondays and fridays, and it makes a big difference for both of us to just show up.

You can do so much with simple cardio and body-weight exercises. Consider joining a program...My wife does Beachbody and i've been doing some of the workouts. They are really good and have all different levels.

A bit of criticism if you don't mind...Why wait until November 1? Start today!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I downloaded my fitness pal to help me track calories back around the start of the new year. I lost 20 lbs and didn't really do any exercise. It is a free way to count calories and hold yourself accountable. Good luck, it isn't easy, but it is doable.

I've stopped using MFP now because I'm just not into the calorie counting game anymore BUT this was a great way to really see how many calories were in the food I was eating and to be more aware of portion size. I will say MFP tends to underestimate calories needed if you are working out (best to calculate TDEE) but again, really helped me to understand where I tended to overdo it.

My disclaimer - if you are still hungry but out of calories (actually, truly hungry) definitely eat a snack even though you are "over". And the opposite - if you have "extra" calories at the end of the day, don't go on a binge just because you want to "use up" those calories. Easy trap to fall into using those types of tools (Weight Watchers and others). Letting the app control when/how much you eat vs. your hunger signals and satiety being in control.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I haven’t ever had a weight problem, but I still remember after I left college my doctor recommending incorporating weight lifting as part of my exercise routine, as muscle tissue requires more calories, so long as you fight the urge to eat more because of this. Along with other benefits of strength training that can help with your joints, BP, etc.

Add running, biking, swimming to this and you’ve got a good mix

I have a noticeable increase in appetite when l've been lifting. Even just 20 mins revs up the old metabolism.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

Don't let the scale discourage you. I've recently dropped about 20 lbs and it took a good 3-4 weeks before I saw much change on the scale. Not seeing much change after 3 weeks sucked and tested my resolve. Pop was the first thing I knew needed to go and those caffeine withdrawal headaches were a *****.

Good luck to you.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Eating habits will be the hardest thing to change. I struggle with on and off weights, but I'm normally around 225. I was 205 in high school and though I was physically strong from sports and weight lifting I still had some baby fat. Some simple things I do to help increase calorie consumption are drinking cold water in excess, and using a diet that regulates your Glycemic index. Having a lot of water ensures that the chemical reactions your body uses to metabolize fat will be at their highest rates. Also, cleaning your liver with lots of clean natural water takes out the crap your body is constantly processing like chemicals such as fake sugars, preservatives, etc. It's not exact science but many dietitians will say you can't process fat as efficiently if you're always processing things like aspartame or artificial fats.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/dise...lycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-for-100-foods

If you stick to that diet and you get some exercise, with some intermittent fasting, the weight will melt off you at insane rates. The hard part is maintaining the diet. I find that once you have lost the desired weight, moderation is the best way to maintain, with lots of exercise. Don't exercise too strenuously before losing 30 pounds or so. It will damage your soft tissues and you can't really repair them. I was at 255 and got down to 210 in about 4 months with this technique. I was running more than I should and my knees always hurt. I don't suggest pushing it as hard as I was. Buy good shoes for working out often, and get insoles because your body is going to hurt for a while. Take it easy on the ibuprofen so as to give your kidneys a break.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I am in the same boat only I'm much larger than 270. I would love to get back into the gym however I have had foot issue for over a year which makes doing the treadmill a not a possibility at the moment. Now the my knee on the same leg as bad foot is hurting. I fear that I've torn something in that knee. I've long battled depression and now my physical pain is becoming equal with my mental pain. I'm not sure how much more i can put up with.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Like anything else common sense and accountability will take you a long way. Don't forget that healthy weight loss will take some time.

Good luck!
I would also suggest once you give good thought to what is right for you for a plan. STICK TO IT. I've seen a lot people change their plan after a day or two or a week to something else because they thought it wasn't working and then it eventually just ends. It will suck royal balls to start but get easier. Stay committed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron