Are special teams part of the "process"?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Exactly. 2 special team mistakes are the reason this team is not 7-0...
No program outside maybe Alabama is good enough to consistently overcome special team errors.
Even they got smoked by special teams against Clemson last year. I will never forget how stupid that fake field goal call was from Saban. Blew my mind.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I'm sure someone has done the analysis of a punt return in terms of...
- percentage of holding and/or blocking in the back penalties
- time to get down field for each position
- getting 3 guys to pressure block the second row of blockers effectively slowing down 4 of the eleven more than trying to block them at the line
- the hang-time/distance of the opposing kicker
- fielding the punt mistakes
- injuries/risk of injuries
- clock management and controlled advance via the offense vs the risk of additional yards after the catch
At first, I was simply 'meh' with just fair catching the punt, but after more thought, I suspect the experts have their reasoning which I'm more and more getting ok with
I suspect this particularly comes into play fielding/fair catch KO's.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Kicking game has just been killer this season. Missed kicks made the difference against Baylor, and they made the game a lot closer last week. Punting, long snapping (shoutout Steve Wirtel, who's actually an NFL prospect and one of the best in the nation) and kickoffs have been solid. I think, it just comes down to placekicking at this point

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Good ST would go a long ways towards those 4 points.

For many programs, good special teams is the difference between 7 or 8 wins and breaking that 10 win barrier and getting a NY6 game.
We missed a fg in the Iowa game didn't we? And we lost by a point.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
When you play one of them head to head. yes.
If we go on the road and beat OU, and win out, I don't see a scenario where we miss out on the Big 12 title game.

By that logic there are 4 teams in the driver's seat.

Reactions: UnCytely

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think we are necessarily going for the block. I think they are trying to rush the kicker to force a bad punt. Also, with the number of penalties on the receiving teams (block in the back, holding, etc) it is almost better to not shoot yourself in the foot rather than gain 4-5 yards on a punt return.

Cool but what did my post have to do with any of this?

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Just to echo some others thoughts, there are 5 ares of special teams:
Kickoff return
Kickoff coverage
Punt team
Punt return
Field goal

With the current rules (getting the ball at the 25, eliminating the wedge for blocking, etc) I have no doubt the numbers point to not returning the ball being the right decision in most circumstances. Less exciting for fans, but a logical strategic decision. And our return team has done average or above when given the opportunity.

Kickoff coverage has been very solid. I don't see much other way to analyze it.

Punt team has also been been very good. Particularly good at pinning the opposition inside the 20 or 10. Rivera's distance averages are somewhat impacted by rarely punting on a full field (credit to the offense).

Punt return is a mixed bag. They've obviously decided to emphasize punt rush. If or when we finally get one that will seem like a good decision, we are consistently getting pressure while doing a good job of not making contact with the punter. Then there's obviously the big mistake against Iowa.

Field goal was undeniably bad against Texas Tech. So if that trend continues it will be a major negative going forward. Outside of that game we are 32 for 32 on extra points and 8 of 11 on field goals. Assalley has been very reliable inside 40. Narveson would appear more mental than anything, but its worth noting he's never gotten a chance to attempt anything inside 40.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Good ST would go a long ways towards those 4 points.

For many programs, good special teams is the difference between 7 or 8 wins and breaking that 10 win barrier and getting a NY6 game.
This has been my biggest issue this year. You'd think special teams would be a spot where a team "in the margins" tries to make up some ground.

We have good punt/kick coverage , but, basically making no attempt to return punts or kicks - what message does that tell your team? Either that we're so good that it doesn't matter (unlikely), or that we're so worried about screwing it up that we just fair catch everything. It's presumably the latter. To be clear, I'm not calling for Campbell's head over this - I'm a huge fan; just can't understand the insane conservatism as times.

UNI game - our play calling was so vanilla, and we wouldn't even return punts where we have a clear skill advantage; barely won that one

Iowa game - think it would have helped if we'd actually tried to return a punt before the last one of the game; that fumble off blocker's back was flukey but it was the first time our gunners had tried to block on a punt.

I understand that the new rules make fair-catching kick-offs a good call lots of the time. But, returns can bring momentum - needs to be Kene or Tariq back there for that on a k/o.

Punters - Rivera's done a nice job. Kicking - Assalley has been great under 40 yards (no idea what he was doing duck-hooking that PAT on Sat.); gotta figure it out at 40+.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We missed a fg in the Iowa game didn't we? And we lost by a point.
No we didn't. Connor made the his only attempt. We would have had at least another attempt at one in the 1st half but Brock fumbled. What killed us that game was HORRIBLE punt coverage.

• Agree
Reactions: CyHans

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
No we didn't. Connor made the his only attempt. We would have had at least another attempt at one in the 1st half but Brock fumbled. What killed us that game was HORRIBLE punt coverage.

Pretty sure the Iowa game was where Lang tried to run out a kick that he had no chance to return, got stopped at the 10 and them ISU got a penalty to boot. That one really set Iowa up to score.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron