O-Line Complimented

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Big improvement from the UNI game. That was not a praiseworthy performance. This line has done well since then. I'm not used to saying that, just like it took awhile to get used to having a legit defense.

I thought that they played well vs UNI minus a few plays in pass protection. They struggled against Baylor though. Other than that game, they've done pretty well.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Our OL has been really good recently. It seems it is really hard for the average fan to give an offensive line credit, but easy to be overly critical. Our line has played a big part in our improved offense. Breece is really talented but he wouldn’t have had two big games without really good line play. It is nice to finally have a good line. It has been a long time coming.

On top of the OL play, we've gotten really good blocking out of the WRs. Especially Pettway and Shaw.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Only game where I was disappointed in O line afterwards was UNI, but watching replay of that game they weren’t bad.

TEs are blocking better in run game now also

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Replacing the tackles appears to be the biggest concern right now. A couple of guys have stepped in and played a little at tackle in reserve roles, and for the most part have done okay as far as I can recall.

As someone said earlier, the average fan doesn't notice an OL unless they destroy the guy on the others side or the get beat badly. It will be a big story for next years team. The DL is going to have to replace some guys, but we have seen some younger guys excel there, so it is a concern, but not as big as the OL. Gonna miss Lima....

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Hard to say. Downing is a R-Fr starting at LG. Newell is a R-So starting at C. I am curious if they move Downing outside next year or if he's more of a natural interior lineman. Guys like Ramos and Hudson have seen time in almost every game. I know the staff was very high on Ramos. Sean Foster is a guy that should be anchoring the line next year, but he just hasn't been able to get on the field the last two years. Guess that is a sign the young guys are just better.

The line has gotten better every year under Campbell, and with Manning back I think we will only continue to see them improve.

This is who I am expecting to start next year. Downing, Newell, Ramos, Hudson and Foster. I hope Foster has kept engaged and continued to work on his craft. The team can get one year of good production from his scholarship. Of course I have no insights behind the scenes, there could be some freshman (red-shirt freshmen next yr) who are ready to make an impact ahead of schedule.

• Agree
Reactions: Bader

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Big improvement from the UNI game. That was not a praiseworthy performance. This line has done well since then. I'm not used to saying that, just like it took awhile to get used to having a legit defense.
I watched some of UNI Saturday afternoon. How in the heck does that first game even happen. ISU is night and day different.

• Agree

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I was critical last year and into this year. With historic talent like Montgomery, ISU was still well into the bottom half of FBS in rushing. Thought there would need to be some fine tuning of the starting five to get things fixed. Happy to have been wrong. Hope the Seniors finish strong.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron