SOURCE- Campbell signs with ISU

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It's fun reading old threads about coaches and recruits. Few are going to get it right. I've admitted not being excited about Hoiberg. I did read a couple posts from posters that talk a lot on here. One was excited about more 6-7 seasons with Campbell and the other called Campbell a paper tiger.

SeventhSon

Apr 13, 2014
From an interview in September:
Q. Kind of an off-beat question. But last week on your radio show you mentioned you tried to hire Toledo coach Matt Campbell to your staff. Going back to that time, what stood out about him? Can you take us back to that time?
COACH MEYER: Yeah, that's a great question. He at the time was the No. 1 assistant at Toledo, and I was putting together a staff from scratch. Kind of an idea with Tom Herman because I worked on that a little previous to that. But other than that, no idea. Then I started recruiting, and he's really well known throughout the State of Ohio. Obviously has Bowling Green ties, where I do too, and obviously Mt. Union ties which I knows those guys really well too. Just the feedback was really positive. We have a great relationship, and I think he's a star in the business right now.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/09/ohio_state_football_everything_14.html

Love or hate him, Urban knows football and he knows coaching.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The concerns about his staff building abilities seemed valid at the time.... Until knowing what we know now, which is that most of the staff he brought over was apparently already Big 12 caliber. Our player development and schemes have been incredible.

So incredible that schools like Clemson are coming in during summers to learn Campbell's schemes (drink)

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I remember when Campbell still hadn't picked his DC yet. When he did announce that Heacock was going to be the DC, seemed like more fans than not, were upset that he didnt go after someone else or a bigger name. Turns out Campbell knew what he was doing.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's fun reading old threads about coaches and recruits. Few are going to get it right. I've admitted not being excited about Hoiberg. I did read a couple posts from posters that talk a lot on here. One was excited about more 6-7 seasons with Campbell and the other called Campbell a paper tiger.

This was some time ago, obviously, but I remember thinking with Hoiberg something like "this could go either really well or really badly, but we kind of suck right now anyways, so we might as well have some fun with it. Fred will make things fun!"

He did.

With Campbell, I do not remember thinking more highly of him than any of the other MAC coaches and P5 coordinators on the list. I remember hearing the choice and being pleased enough that we got somebody from our "A-list," and I am sympathetic to those who had reservations at the time. All of the coaches on our list came with their caveats, and the worries that Campbell had no P5 experience, did not have Iowa, Big 12, or Texas roots, and that he had merely "maintained" an established program of pretty good quality (and Tim Beckman, his old boss, flamed out badly in Urbana-Champaign) instead of building one himself were fair points.

He has obviously succeeded far beyond our wildest expectations. If somebody told me that Campbell would be going 6-6 consistently when we hired him at this point, I would have said that was pretty good. That is going 8-4 consistently is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I remember when Campbell still hadn't picked his DC yet. When he did announce that Heacock was going to be the DC, seemed like more fans than not, were a upset that he didnt go after someone else or a bigger name. Turns out Campbell knew what he was doing.

Now that you mention this, I still have never seen a post from @Tornado man about how Matt has 100 x’s more knowledge than the posters here.

he’s said it repeatedly about McCarney, even though he never ever achieved what Matt has here.

Christ he said it about fleck, whose beaten no one.

I wonder why he hasn’t been on here defending Campbell when people were upset about something he did on the sidelines. Very curious

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I remember when Campbell still hadn't picked his DC yet. When he did announce that Heacock was going to be the DC, seemed like more fans than not, were upset that he didnt go after someone else or a bigger name. Turns out Campbell knew what he was doing.
I've learned with coaching hires, that the "big names" almost never work out unless its Urban Meyer or Nick Saban.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
What Campbell has done here in a relatively short amount of time has been amazing. I remember when we couldn’t field a competitive D-Line and all we heard were excuses. Now Leo, Johnson and Petersen are the back-ups. Yes I know Petersen is a starter but that was before an injury to one of the best D-Ends to ever play here. It’s absolutely crazy to think about. Big 12 road games used to help me get the yard raked because we would get pisspounded. I’d be pissed and I would take it out on the leaves. Not anymore.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
@tolfbfan helped us grow in our appreciation of Campbell. Not sure when he started posting, but it made a difference.

It made a huge difference because we all had PTSD from the beatings we took. We needed Campbell to get it going for our well being. I hate to think of the level of apathy that would have set in if Campbell had failed and we were in year 4 looking for a new coach at the end of this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron