SOURCE- Campbell signs with ISU

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Tell me more about this.

From an interview in September:
Q. Kind of an off-beat question. But last week on your radio show you mentioned you tried to hire Toledo coach Matt Campbell to your staff. Going back to that time, what stood out about him? Can you take us back to that time?
COACH MEYER: Yeah, that's a great question. He at the time was the No. 1 assistant at Toledo, and I was putting together a staff from scratch. Kind of an idea with Tom Herman because I worked on that a little previous to that. But other than that, no idea. Then I started recruiting, and he's really well known throughout the State of Ohio. Obviously has Bowling Green ties, where I do too, and obviously Mt. Union ties which I knows those guys really well too. Just the feedback was really positive. We have a great relationship, and I think he's a star in the business right now.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/09/ohio_state_football_everything_14.html

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Well, he's been pasted into the coaching staff page along with CPR's assistants . . . seems kind of weird.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Campbell.jpg
    Campbell.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 756

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Coach Campbell uses his selfie stick to take pictures with the student section at the bball game, probably for Twitter. I like it, definitely something you would never see Rhoads do, just a different era now.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Coach Campbell uses his selfie stick to take pictures with the student section at the bball game, probably for Twitter. I like it, definitely something you would never see Rhoads do, just a different era now.

What did he say at halftime?

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
Has little P5 ties to build staff and recruit the big12. Has not built a program. While I think it's good that Toledos offense was similar to ours, I thought we needed to bring in a coach with a "gimmick" like the triple option or power running (who knows, maybe he'll keep sturdy which if view as good). My biggest issue is that he's done nothing but manage a mid-major Toledo team that was built up by others before him, and has 0 experience at p5 schools.

Hope I am wrong in the worst way, but I think we will be going through this process again in 3-5 years.

None. I was just stating how someone could be unhappy with this hire (which is why I quoted that post in my reply). Campell just seems pretty run-of-the-mill to me.

We'll see. Hope I'm wrong.

How can we be serious about football given our proximity and history? Think about it, we play in a conference with 4 Texas schools and 2 Oklahoma schools ALL pulling better recruits from their area than we could ever get. Then you got West Virginia, who has some history and their own recruiting base. What's left is us, KU, and KSU. KSU has had some success so we're disadvantaged there, leaving us and Kansas getting 2 and 3 star recruit leftovers. Let alone not being the best team or at times even the 2nd best team in our own state (UNI), slim pickings for recruits equal no success no matter the coach.

Not thrilled one bit about this hire (IMO) :skeptical:
Big12 defenses are "day and night" different from MAC defenses.

He better bring in a very good DC, not to mention a good recruiter.

I also think JP basically rehired CPR all over again.
Yeah, he beat an overrated #18 Arkansas team (at the time...) and nobody after that. What other "quality" wins does he have??? ISU wasn't a quality win. Cole's missed FG had absolutely nothing to do with Toledo's defense. I would've been happier with P.J. Fleck, or Georgia Southern's HC. or many others! Campbell brings nothing to the table, again (IMO) Hope I'm eating crow someday, (although I never have) Just gonna sit back now and wonder when the 1st, "Fire Coach Campbell" thread will pop up.

Kind of wanted to see Scott Frost (...get interviewed anyway) ...and before people berate me with, crap like, "He's never been a Head Coach!" just remember neither was Paul Rhoades before he came here. Neither was Chizik, neither was Dan McCarney. Jim Walden was a HC at WSU from '78-'86 with only 3 (marginal) winning seasons, before coming here. My point is that nearly every "successful" football coach in (P5) or w/e came from an assistant position. I like the resumes of a lot of these assistants that ultimately will be given a chance and wonderfully succeed. I just feel JP went out and plopped down a couple of million in front of Campbell and said... well... (I have no clue what he said!)

Who has Matt Campbell recruited that was headed elsewhere. What big name player was taken from some other national power and decided to go to Toledo, Ohio??? I can't think of anyone either. Now then, what's going to happen when he walks into some recruits livingroom, and says, "Come play for me at ISU... Don't go to Alabama or Clemson, or Oregon, they're no good." YES! there are asst. coaches out there that can steal recruits from some major football programs! Kind of like TJ Otz is with our basketball program. These people are out there! I just wish Jamie would've put forth a bit more hard work, and thoroughly investigated all (if not more) options! $2.5 mil buys an aweful lot of coach these days. In the grand scheme of things, I just feel we hired a Paul Rhoads / Dan McCarney type of guy all over again.

Lol. Fun to look back through this thread.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The concerns about his staff building abilities seemed valid at the time.... Until knowing what we know now, which is that most of the staff he brought over was apparently already Big 12 caliber. Our player development and schemes have been incredible.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The concerns about his staff building abilities seemed valid at the time.... Until knowing what we know now, which is that most of the staff he brought over was apparently already Big 12 caliber. Our player development and schemes have been incredible.

Essentially all of the concerns had some level of validity. It’s the nature of hiring at Iowa State - there are always risks with every hire unless you are a blue blood and can call up the top 5 coaches and offer them whatever they want.