2nd recruiting weekend vs Iowa & Game Day

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I agree that higher recruits are necessary, but I do think Dresser & staff seem to be able to pick out guys that will develop into AA guys.

I think Broderson, Shapiro, Schumacher will all have good careers.

I do wonder how much is not offering enough money for these top studs

Reactions: DavidBroderson

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I agree that this staff seems to be able to get the most out of guys. But it would be a hell of a lot easier to develop someone whose ceiling is exponentially higher!!

I know we have a lot of money tied up right now but I guarantee Henson didn’t get a ton of money to go to Iowa. I don’t even know where he thinks he fits into their long term plans. That’s part of the frustration; watching PSU, OSU, tOSU, Rutgers, Iowa etc getting some top end talent to rosters that already have top end talent!

I know we have to remain patient. It does take time to cultivate relationships. I thought we would get a bump from Carr and his international exposure.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I agree that this staff seems to be able to get the most out of guys. But it would be a hell of a lot easier to develop someone whose ceiling is exponentially higher!!

I know we have a lot of money tied up right now but I guarantee Henson didn’t get a ton of money to go to Iowa. I don’t even know where he thinks he fits into their long term plans. That’s part of the frustration; watching PSU, OSU, tOSU, Rutgers, Iowa etc getting some top end talent to rosters that already have top end talent!

I know we have to remain patient. It does take time to cultivate relationships. I thought we would get a bump from Carr and his international exposure.
Henson is a likely 41 pounder. Where does he fit at ISU with Echemendia here?

Facundo is the guy. He has a great relationship with Carr and Metcalf. If ISU gets him, none of the other guys even matter. If they miss on him it could be a bad class.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Henson is a likely 41 pounder. Where does he fit at ISU with Echemendia here?

Facundo is the guy. He has a great relationship with Carr and Metcalf. If ISU gets him, none of the other guys even matter. If they miss on him it could be a bad class.

Aren’t we talking about 2 different classes? Plus as you have pointed out we don’t know how or if AE is going to be at ISU. Let’s not act like we didn’t want or need Hensen.

ISUWR5

Nov 7, 2018
We need to land Facundo and Ayala. Hope we can start to land some of these top 30 recruits.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Aren’t we talking about 2 different classes? Plus as you have pointed out we don’t know how or if AE is going to be at ISU. Let’s not act like we didn’t want or need Hensen.
Not acting at all like we don’t need him. Although, you made the case about fit at Iowa. The same case, if not a stronger one, can be made about that weight class at ISU.

Would have been great to get Henson. My point is that any talk about how well recruiting is going is moot until we know about Facundo. Facundo is the exact same class as Henson (2021). If ISU lands Facundo, that would be 3 out of the last 4 years with a top 5 guy (I’m counting AE because he’s that good but just wasn’t here long enough to be ranked). That to me doesn’t sound like the absolute whiff on top recruits many are saying.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Not acting at all like we don’t need him. Although, you made the case about fit at Iowa. The same case, if not a stronger one, can be made about that weight class at ISU.

Would have been great to get Henson. My point is that any talk about how well recruiting is going is moot until we know about Facundo. Facundo is the exact same class as Henson (2021). If ISU lands Facundo, that would be 3 out of the last 4 years with a top 5 guy (I’m counting AE because he’s that good but just wasn’t here long enough to be ranked). That to me doesn’t sound like the absolute whiff on top recruits many are saying.

I get frustrated just missing these guys too, but i would rather take 1 top 5 guy/yr. Its risky because if we miss Facundo it will hurt, bad. But if we do land him, ISU has a GREAT shot a NCAA champs and future world team members with AE, Carr, Facundo. If that happens, the 20-50 P4P kids will come.

Carr was the recruit to jumpstart it. Facundo would be the recruit to take it to the next level.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Is there a timeline for when Facundo might announce his commitment? My guess is he comes here but the longer he waits, the more concerned I get.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Thanks for the clarification of Henson’s class. I was thinking he was 2020.

AE fell into our lap like manna from heaven. Maybe I’d feel better if I actually thought was part of a larger plan... maybe they have been on him from the beginning. Not sure.

I agree that everything looks a lot better if we get Facundo. Fingers crossed.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Thanks for the clarification of Henson’s class. I was thinking he was 2020.

AE fell into our lap like manna from heaven. Maybe I’d feel better if I actually thought was part of a larger plan... maybe they have been on him from the beginning. Not sure.

I agree that everything looks a lot better if we get Facundo. Fingers crossed.
I’m with you, and also don’t want to make it sound like recruiting has been great. It has not been as good as I would have expected considering how well this staff is doing with every other aspect of the sport.

However, getting those top 5 P4P type talents goes a long way. 3 top 5 P4P recruits in a lineup, sprinkled with a couple guys who were 40-100 ranked, and you have a really salty team that can compete for a trophy.

Let’s face it, ISU does not have much to offer these guys for us to be expecting amazing recruiting classes. The wrestling facilities are not great, the NCAA team has been terrible over the recent past, and ISU doesn’t have a club team/RTC that has accomplished hardly anything at the senior level.

Most of that stuff is changing with the new regime, but it’s unrealistic to think ISU can compete for recruits with Iowa, PSU, both OSUs, and several others right now.

• Agree
Reactions: DantheFan

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
The wrestling facilities are not great, the NCAA team has been terrible over the recent past, and ISU doesn’t have a club team/RTC that has accomplished hardly anything at the senior level.

Most of that stuff is changing with the new regime, but it’s unrealistic to think ISU can compete for recruits with Iowa, PSU, both OSUs, and several others right now.

I agree, these things are coming along and will continue to grow, maintain/gain momentum, and become great.

I hope the CRTC, in particular, can get rolling. Gadsen has been great stateside, cruising to US Open titles, but I feel like he needs to get out and compete overseas more. The future looks bright with Gomez, Reeves, Carr, Echemendia, hopefully Facundo, etc. as potential future freestylers. Here's to hoping our top guys stick around to train and find success.

I feel Reece and the NJRTC have shown how valuable a strong RTC can be to recruiting and building up the partner college program(s).

• Agree
Reactions: crablegs

CyAGR

Nov 21, 2014
Iowa
The addition of AE is bigger than most people think. At the Ankeny fundraiser, Metcalf thought his ceiling was as high as anyone's on the team. I realize coaches are there to pump you up to give money, but the hype on AE was good. I get our recruiting needs to continue to pick up but this is still early in Dresser's tenure. Can't wait for the season to get here.