Tennessee coach is unhinged

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
^^ Dumbest Post of the Year candidate here.

Which was the point... Obviously being sarcastic. My point was that Sage's comment was dumb. What is a penalty during gameplay has no bearing on appropriate coach/player communication.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Which was the point... Obviously being sarcastic. My point was that Sage's comment was dumb. What is a penalty during gameplay has no bearing on appropriate coach/player communication.
No. It’s still idiotic. A holding penalty has to do with fairness of play, while the face mask penalty is a player safety issue. Try again, genius.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I don't know you, but I refuse to believe you are this obtuse.
Er. Ok?

You “sarcastically” tried to defuse the argument that because pulling a face mask is a penalty, a coach shouldn’t be able to do it. Your example was the holding penalty. Therefore, since a penalty is assessed, coaches can’t hold/hug their players.

Sorry, but sarcasm or not, your example still needs to be logical or you don’t have a point. And last I checked, false equivalency is still a logical fallacy. And without a point, your post is meaningless.

Did I miss anything or was I too obtuse again?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Er. Ok?

You “sarcastically” tried to defuse the argument that because pulling a face mask is a penalty, a coach shouldn’t be able to do it. Your example was the holding penalty. Therefore, since a penalty is assessed, coaches can’t hold/hug their players.

Sorry, but sarcasm or not, your example still needs to be logical or you don’t have a point. And last I checked, false equivalency is still a logical fallacy. And without a point, your post is meaningless.

Give it up.... some people just believe that a head coach acting like a 7 year old is tough and macho. And some think it's embarrassing and immature, and not very effective.

Neither side will likely influence the other in this debate.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Er. Ok?

Yes. You missed the whole point.

I understand the difference in penalty. That has nothing to do with it, but thanks for the write up. Sage stated that if something is illegal to do to an opposing player, then a coach shouldn't do it to his player. The false equivalence being that during gameplay, it can be extremely dangerous. On the sideline, between player and coach, it is not.

You are getting hung up on the penalty that I sarcastically chose to use as an example. Had I used a horse collar as an example, maybe we wouldn't be having this argument??

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Coach may be a d-bag but everyone up in arms over him grabbing the QB's facemask and yelling at him after fumbling like that on a play where the QB likely audibled to himself instead of running the play from the sidelines needs to get bent. This is big time football. If you can't handle it you shouldn't be out there in the first place. This isn't pee-wee football where even losers get trophies.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Did he "grab" the player's face mask? Not really. Sage's tweet was a little bit of an overreaction. Some people are trying to make it seem like he tried to rip the kid's helmet off or something. He did a quick tug with one finger. Sorry, not that big of a deal. The constant yelling and screaming was a bit much though. Not going to defend that.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't have a huge problem with this particular instance, but I don't think it's effective coaching. Doesn't seem much different than McCaffrey trying to intimidate talent out of his limited players.

• Agree
Reactions: Blandboy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think the announcers said something about how it looked like the quarterback went 'rogue' and changed the play trying to be the hero. If so, he deserved the ass-chewing, but I agree there's a point where it starts doing more harm than good.

It can get really bad when players just tune out the coach.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron