O-Line Complimented

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Joe Yeager writes for Tech on 247 Sports, wrote this after yesterday's game:
"Outside of Oklahoma, this was the best offensive line Tech has seen this season."
So that would include Arizona, Okie State and Baylor that they have played previously. He was frustrated that they didn't sack Purdy at all yesterday.

I don't know, maybe our line is better this year than what we amateurs think we see. I did notice some times yesterday when Hall would go out around the edge and there was no one there. It looked like the blocking did that on purpose.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
"Outside of Oklahoma, this was the best offensive line Tech has seen this season."
So that would include Arizona, Okie State and Baylor that they have played previously. He was frustrated that they didn't sack Purdy at all yesterday.

I don't know, maybe our line is better this year than what we amateurs think we see. I did notice some times yesterday when Hall would go out around the edge and there was no one there. It looked like the blocking did that on purpose.
@JJIII has been very complimentary of that unit in most of his post game breakdowns this season.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Our line has been playing well. That is very clear to anyone paying attention.

It's interesting seeing varying opinions on the OL each week from our fans. Probably not so much this week.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cyman42

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I have no coaching experience but I see the defensive line playing 7-8 different guys a lot to get them experience for future years and develop depth. They do none of that with the offensive line that I can see. Our prospects for 2020 with all of our young skill players coming back is going to be dependent on replacing 4 seniors in this year's O-line. Is this normal?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

I appreciate the compliment, but in the case of Arizona and Okie State, it's not saying much. I think they played the Bears after they lost a starter, too.

Still, the lines we had the last few years wouldn't even have gotten that compliment.

Reactions: Cyclonic1

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I appreciate the compliment, but in the case of Arizona and Okie State, it's not saying much. I think they played the Bears after they lost a starter, too.

Still, the lines we had the last few years wouldn't even have gotten that compliment.

Aren't we without a starter?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I thought Brock got hurried a LOT yesterday. I'll take that little bit of a tradeoff for the better run blocking we've seen though.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I have no coaching experience but I see the defensive line playing 7-8 different guys a lot to get them experience for future years and develop depth. They do none of that with the offensive line that I can see. Our prospects for 2020 with all of our young skill players coming back is going to be dependent on replacing 4 seniors in this year's O-line. Is this normal?

No expert, but I do believe it is rather typical to let the OL play most of the game together. Chemistry being that important.

On the DL, best to keep fresh players coming in as long as the talent drop is not material. Great that we are in a spot to rotate 7-8.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
It was very good to get Ramos in the game yesterday...he did fine at LT...we will have him, Newell, and Downing starting next year and all have experience..I’m guessing they will go after a grad transfer and possibly even a judo OG yet in this class to help fill gaps.

Remember CMC did say in camp this was by far the best freshman OL class he has seen..those guys will develop on off season and I’m betting we still see 1-2 true frosh yet play some this year..albeit for just a series or few plays..

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Phil Steele and Athlon predicted we would have a great OL this year. No one believed them. We have waited a long time for this to happen!

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

Yes, you want continuity in your O-line. Chemistry and communication between players is a much bigger deal than on the D-line. You don't want to sub many players on the O-line.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
3 starters (RT, LT, RG) are seniors. Olson is only starting because Newell is injured. The fact that we have a reserve center that can step in is a significant step forward from past years.

Your OL and DL are going to be dominated by Juniors/Seniors if your program is in a good place. It takes time for those guys to get good weight on their frames and OL is the most technique intense position group on the field. If you watch participation charts we have somewhere around 3 reserves seeing action.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I thought Brock got hurried a LOT yesterday. I'll take that little bit of a tradeoff for the better run blocking we've seen though.

I think that the blitzing got to him a little in the second half. Everyone did a decent job of blocking, including Hall, but Tech was sending 6 and 7 guys at times, and then the next play they would drop 8. Probably had some opportunities for a few more big plays, but Purdy didn't see the throw or the coaches did not send in a play that allowed for a quick pass. On the other side both of Hall's biggest plays were explosive because Tech had so many guys at the line.