Tennessee coach is unhinged

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Over the last forty years, that’s one of how many good Tennessee coaches? Two? 50% seems significant.

Oh, and the other one worked for him.

They hired one of their good coaches from ISU. Back in the 70s. How does that have any bearing on today?

Also, Majors went to Pitt before TN. I'm guessing the NC he won at Pitt had more bearing on Tennessee's decision than what he did at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney and weR138

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Huh! Wow! I must be REALLY old. That's NOT unhinged. That's not even a good 'ol "Hey are you listening to me?" facemask pull. That wonderful distinction still belongs to the great Woody Hayes. And, as has been pointed out, CMC has already been caught several times on camera more 'forceful' (for not finding a better or more politically correct word). Wow! Have we, as a society, become soft.

Once you throw a punch at an opposing player you lose "the great" in front of your name.

**** Woody Hayes

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
They hired one of their good coaches from ISU. Back in the 70s. How does that have any bearing on today?
Majors is one of only two good coaches they’ve had since then.

The other “good coach” is now their current AD. Who was a long time assistant under Majors. They have tons of money and a 100K seat stadium. We may have our best coach since Majors.

I was being facetious, but since you wanted it spelled out...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I thought the Tennessee coach went quite a bit over the line.

First, you don't ever need to grab a kid's facemask and yank their head IMO. Yelling should be sufficient.

But even the yelling in this case was over the top. He wouldn't let up. I think they took a commercial break and when they came back he was still screaming his head off at him. That's out of control IMO.

I can understand ripping him a new one for a minute or two, but then you usually cool off. UT's coach just kept going and going for quite a long time.

And what makes it worse IMO... is that this is still supposed to be COLLEGE football. These kids are still supposed to be at their given school as a student first, and as an athlete second. I'm not naive enough to believe that is still the case for many of these kids, but still, these are just kids and they are going to school full time as well. These coaches only have to worry about football 24/7, and get paid well for that, but these kids have exams to worry about, projects that have to get done, papers that need written, etc, etc.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Majors is one of only two good coaches they’ve had since then.

The other “good coach” is now their current AD. Who was a long time assistant under Majors. They have tons of money and a 100K seat stadium. We may have our best coach since Majors.

I was being facetious, but since you wanted it spelled out...

Get ******.

Not sure what the point of arguing this was in the first place.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I thought the Tennessee coach went quite a bit over the line.

First, you don't ever need to grab a kid's facemask and yank their head IMO. Yelling should be sufficient.

But even the yelling in this case was over the top. He wouldn't let up. I think they took a commercial break and when they came back he was still screaming his head off at him. That's out of control IMO.

I can understand ripping him a new one for a minute or two, but then you usually cool off. UT's coach just kept going and going for quite a long time.

And what makes it worse IMO... is that this is still supposed to be COLLEGE football. These kids are still supposed to be at their given school as a student first, and as an athlete second. I'm not naive enough to believe that is still the case for many of these kids, but still, these are just kids and they are going to school full time as well. These coaches only have to worry about football 24/7, and get paid well for that, but these kids have exams to worry about, projects that have to get done, papers that need written, etc, etc.

I think the announcers said something about how it looked like the quarterback went 'rogue' and changed the play trying to be the hero. If so, he deserved the ass-chewing, but I agree there's a point where it starts doing more harm than good.

Reactions: Scott34

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I understand that the heat of the moment is hard for some people to hold their tempers, but the last thing that kid needed after fumbling in the end zone and giving up the TD was for his coach to publicly tear him down in front of millions of viewers.

I think the reason he yelled at him is because he didn't run the play that was called. A handoff to the RB was called. Instead, he tried a keeper and fumbled.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think the reason he yelled at him is because he didn't run the play that was called. A handoff to the RB was called. Instead, he tried a keeper and fumbled.
I didn't feel like it was that egregious, at least not the face mask tug. If he was yelling at him for 3 minutes straight ya it's too much.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Get ******.

Not sure what the point of arguing this was in the first place.
Then why in the world did you start it?

I was just making a joke in reference to the people who keep panicking over Campbell leaving. Why you fail to grasp that is beyond my understanding, because I keep trying to explain that to you—when you keep asking.

I’m assuming it’s too early for someone to be drunk posting, of course. I have been wrong before.

• Creative
Reactions: Cyched

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Then why in the world did you start it?

I was just making a joke in reference to the people who keep panicking over Campbell leaving. Why you fail to grasp that is beyond my understanding, because I keep trying to explain that to you—when you keep asking.

I’m assuming it’s too early for someone to be drunk posting, of course. I have been wrong before.

If you have to explain that you were joking, you did a poor job of executing it.

And no, not drunk. Telling that you tried to pull that.

Don't bother responding.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
This will be unpopular, but so be it. Things were different "back then," but the year today is 2019. That was uncalled for. If the coach was a player, that's a 15 yard penalty and none of you would even question it. You don't yank a player by his facemask. I don't care that he could have pulled even harder. It moved his head involuntarily, and that's enough for me.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This will be unpopular, but so be it. Things were different "back then," but the year today is 2019. That was uncalled for. If the coach was a player, that's a 15 yard penalty and none of you would even question it. You don't yank a player by his facemask. I don't care that he could have pulled even harder. It moved his head involuntarily, and that's enough for me.
It’s unpopular because it’s crap.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That was far from unhinged. I fear for some people the next 10 years. We will see what unhinged really means.

• Agree

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

What years are "back then"?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron