New overtime rule

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
The debut of the new overtime rule happened today. Virginia tech and unc went to 6 OT. Starting in OT5 teams take turns attempting 2 point conversions.

What does everyone think of this change? It's something that wont happen much, but in the rare instance it does, is it a good thing?

Probably shaved well over half an hour off this game.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Wasn't needed. How many went over 5 OT's anyway? And how long (in literal time) did that 5-7 OTs take in that game to make this happen? I like the normal rules better.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The debut of the new overtime rule happened today. Virginia tech and unc went to 6 OT. Starting in OT5 teams take turns attempting 2 point conversions.

What does everyone think of this change? It's something that wont happen much, but in the rare instance it does, is it a good thing?

Probably shaved well over half an hour off this game.
My sister was at that game.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
If a violent game like football requires a limiting of the length of the game for the safety of its players--and I believe it does--then maybe after three OTs the game simply ends in a tie. The teams played an even game, and that is that.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I like the NFL rule. I'm fine with the occasional tie. Bloated stats with the current OT rules really make some teams/players look much better than they are statistically. Especially if the game is a physical low scoring contest that turns into a shootout in the OT periods.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I like the NFL rule. I'm fine with the occasional tie. Bloated stats with the current OT rules really make some teams/players look much better than they are statistically. Especially if the game is a physical low scoring contest that turns into a shootout in the OT periods.
NFL overtime is so horrendously bad compared to college.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
One word - Quizbowl. Hear me out:

After three OTs, go to a lightening round style trivia contest between one member of each team. Most right answers in 2 minutes wins. Fast, entertaining (even if unintentionally) and at least pays lip service to "student athlete."