Line Changes when Newell Returns

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
When Colin Newell is healthy, how does this change our starting offensive line? I am almost tempted to leave it as it is since this group is starting to play well. I hate it when players loose their spot due to injury, but i almost feel this should be the case. I think Trevor Downing is playing well and should stay in the lineup. If someone does need to come out I think it should be Colin Olson since I am not sure if anyone from the inside can play tackle effectively.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Center isn't the position you'd want to rotate a lot - but a platoon of Newell and Olsen there wouldn't be horrible. I agree - I don't think you can bench Downing at this point.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Sometimes when you get injured you lose out on your spot and this is what happened in this situation.

He's healthy. Downing is playing well and the line in general is playing well.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The line, particularly the interior has played well all year. Baylor was perhaps an exception, but largely at OT.

Newell, if fully healthy, adds to the ability to get to the second level, run to the outside, and passing to the RBs in the screen game imo.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Did Newell play against WVU? If not, I would guess he is not ready to go. ISU was in complete control of that game, and even if he was demoted to second string, he would have played.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Did Newell play against WVU? If not, I would guess he is not ready to go. ISU was in complete control of that game, and even if he was demoted to second string, he would have played.
Not on the participation report.

When he’s ready, I think he’ll be slowly worked in at a rotation, perhaps at more than just center.

• Agree
Reactions: CySmurf

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not on the participation report.

When he’s ready, I think he’ll be slowly worked in at a rotation, perhaps at more than just center.

I still think that Olsen is the guy that plays well, but is not all that physical. He has been okay at snapping, but Purdy has also done a great job of corralling some not so great snaps.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He was dressed and available vs. WVU, but I don't think that means he's 100%. I'd be pretty wary of changing the OL right now. Having a decisive one-cut, physical runner like Hall helps as well.

Related to that, Chase Allen has been off the charts good in run blocking.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Campbell has always been tight lipped on injuries in my view more so than other past coaches to perhaps make it more difficult to scout us. Heck, we here on Fanatic can't even get definitive answers! LOL

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Related to that, Chase Allen has been off the charts good in run blocking.

Yes he has. I think his improvement in that area has cut into Soehner's playing time a bit.

As was mentioned after the game, Hall was really really good at blitz pickup as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Newell is probably our best Offensive Linemen other than Knipfel. He will be in there when healthy.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I haven't watched close enough, but has Ramos been getting any reps? They were high on him similar to Downing, and with Downing playing well, I thought they might work him in the RT spot.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I haven't watched close enough, but has Ramos been getting any reps? They were high on him similar to Downing, and with Downing playing well, I thought they might work him in the RT spot.

Ramos has played some, but I am not sure how much. I would like to know about the playing time for all the reserve OL. There are a lot of seniors to replace.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Ramos has played some, but I am not sure how much. I would like to know about the playing time for all the reserve OL. There are a lot of seniors to replace.

im beginning to be less worried about that
september next year will be rough
but after that i think we will be fine
clearly developing oline doesnt seem to be a problem for this staff