Iowa's love affair with gas station pizza

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Article claims that Casey's is the 5th largest pizza chain in the country. That's kind of insane.

I think something was mentioned when the Canadian company tried to buy Casey's a few years ago. Pretty crazy indeed.

Reactions: isutrevman

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I like Casey's pizza but can't stand the breakfast pizza from Quicktrip. It very well could be higher quality, but I like Casey's better. I never go to Kum&Go anyways, so I wouldn't know about that.

Fong's has the best breakfast pizza I've had. But mainly because they smother it in sausage gravy.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
This right here. Casey's is solid pizza and for a lot of small towns it is the only pizza they can get. I love it.

Yeah, their pizza is pretty good...especially when you don't have a lot of other options. Now, the breakfast pizza with bacon? That is great no matter what the competition is.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Correlation, causation, coincidence? ;)

Study: Iowa is 4th most obese state in the U.S.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Study-Iowa-is-4th-most-obese-state-in-the-US-512826141.html

22057442-iowa-a-place-to-grow.jpg

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, I don't get the Casey's pizza love. It's good gas station pizza for sure, but at the end of the day it is still gas station pizza. It reminds me of Californians and In-n-Out. It's perfectly okay pizza, but not an amazing dish worth raving about and telling visitors to try out.
Insulting Casey's pizza and In-N-Out? I nominate this for worst post of the year.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So there's some of the nostalgia to it, but if they had delivery they'd still be the go to pizza for pizza night.

There are Casey's in Ames and Nevada that deliver. I assume other towns have that option also.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
That describes me pretty well. It was the only option we had for take out pizza growing up. You had to go another 10-15 mins to find any competition and it was a poorly managed Breadeaux and a Pizza Hut that could take 45 mins to get your food.

So there's some of the nostalgia to it, but if they had delivery they'd still be the go to pizza for pizza night. I like Pizza Hut for cheap pizza too, but Casey's is way more consistent.

We have Casey's that deliver in SW Iowa... even in Council Bluffs....

Off topic a little bit but my local Caseys now opens and shows you your pizza at pick up. Is this just a here thing? Has it been going on for years other locations?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Off topic a little bit but my local Caseys now opens and shows you your pizza at pick up. Is this just a here thing? Has it been going on for years other locations?

I know there’s some on the west side that do, but last I checked the east side stores of CB still didn’t.

Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I know there’s some on the west side that do, but last I checked the east side stores of CB still didn’t.

Bummer the one out by IWCC is missing out then, they could make a killing, so could the one on 92 honestly, kind of far from everything and a lot of developments on that side of town.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I love Centro, but aren't you talking completely different price categories? Doesn't seem like a relevant comparison .

Centro is not even close to being the best Pizza in Des Moines. Just go to the southside and you will find 3 better pizza places that are family owned that are better then Centro. Way cheaper also.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Might be good timing for Casey's to become an official sponsor of the "Iowa Ride". I swear every one I ever saw on RAGBRAI made more money in a day than they normally do in a month.

Disclosure: I am a stockholder in Casey's General Store

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Our Pizza Hut does that (but they at least ask if you want to see it). It actually annoys me for some reason. I always say "no thanks" as I want keep the lid on and keep it as hot as possible until it gets home. File under: First World problems.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Article claims that Casey's is the 5th largest pizza chain in the country. That's kind of insane.

That's part of the reason it's so loved. You know more than likely you are going to get a fresh product as thru move so much volume (I normally do by the slice).

Sperm and split will have less variety and old pizza.

My hometown of 6k had delivery but it was only offered at peak hours.

Reactions: isutrevman

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO
The thing about caseys is its got great breakfast pizza. There is nothing else like it. I wouldn't go there for anything else. Well maybe taco but nothing else.