RAGBRAI Organizers Split from Register

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The guys who resigned and ran it for 16 years.

And looking at their website it seems that they've been planning it for quite a while. At first glance it sure looks like the organizers have left the Register high and dry with not much time to recover and still get the 2020 ride put together.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It won’t be the same. No reason it should go down that way, but that’s how it goes.

It depends. Maybe having two rival rides thins the crowd out for both and makes the roads and ride a bit more navigable. Or maybe the Reg just shutters RAGBRAI and there's still one bike ride across Iowa, it's just called something different. Whatever the case, it's all on the Register. They're doing a fine job of digging their own grave.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It depends. Maybe having two rival rides thins the crowd out for both and makes the roads and ride a bit more navigable. Or maybe the Reg just shutters RAGBRAI and there's still one bike ride across Iowa, it's just called something different. Whatever the case, it's all on the Register. They're doing a fine job of digging their own grave.

I’m hoping the Register just gives up and leaves it as one ride

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I agree. Even if they didn't want to give up I'm not sure they can pull off the 2020 ride. I don't know what the timetable is for planning these things but it seems like mid October is fairly late in the game from a planning/logistics standpoint to find another organizer and get everything in line. The Iowa's Ride group has a huge head start.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I guess the way I read it is that RAGBRAI will still be a thing; there will just be a competing ride that occurs at the exact same time. Looking at the Iowa's ride website it looks like the 2020 route will go through northern Iowa.

http://iowasride.com/route/

edit: this is assuming that the Reg opts to find another RAGBRAI organizer. I suppose they could choose to just drop it if they don't want to compete.

im sure they will get a non-local PR firm/organizer to **** it all up even worse

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What could anyone sue for? The organizers of the new ride aren't doing anything to associate it with RAGBRAI. And they're not piggybacking on the RAGBRAI route since they'll announce their 2020 route first. It's just a competing ride.
No doubt. This message board community could start a ride the same week. RAGBRAI is dead. Nobody can organize it and they are already months behind the new ride.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Hard to imagine either one doing well. Iowa's Ride has the staff and expertise. RAGBRAI has the brand, rights, and register (no pun intended) of previous riders.

If the Register fights this, they are going to have to admit to muzzling the RAGBRAI people. Not a good image for a newspaper.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Hard to imagine either one doing well. Iowa's Ride has the staff and expertise. RAGBRAI has the brand, rights, and register (no pun intended) of previous riders.

If the Register fights this, they are going to have to admit to muzzling the RAGBRAI people. Not a good image for a newspaper.
I think they gave up on their image a few weeks ago.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
What could anyone sue for? The organizers of the new ride aren't doing anything to associate it with RAGBRAI. And they're not piggybacking on the RAGBRAI route since they'll announce their 2020 route first. It's just a competing ride.

Yeah, I don't see what they possibly could sue for or why they would waste their time and resources on a lawsuit. My guess is the DMR just chalks this up as a loss and moves on because they surely don't have the staff and expertise to get something put together in short time at this point. Will probably be some smear op-ed coming too trying to save face about how the organizers screwed them or something too.

I'm guessing anyone who participates in RAGBRAI will just participate in this new ride instead now. It's basically going to be the same event run by the same people but under a different name now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron