NBA in China

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Is the NBA not allowing players/coaches to voice their opinions on China? The NBA has already come out and said the Rockets’ media relations person should not have shut down the question to Harden and Westbrook this morning.

Are you naive? That statement by the NBA was a cover your ass after the fact.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Are you naive? That statement by the NBA was a cover your ass after the fact.

Maybe I am, but do you think that media relations person with the Rockets is more afraid of what the NBA would do to her or what Tilman Fertitta (Rockets owner who denounced Morey’s tweet AND also started liking IG comments calling for Morey’s firing) would do to her?

Now that I think about it, there’s a decent chance the NBA is the reason Morey is still employed by the Rockets. I’m starting to question who is being naive here.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think they should have definitely left out the regrettable part. Also, that first statement just got butchered in translation which made things quite a bit worse. The first statement was not good, and maybe it is the best representation of their true thoughts on the matter.

Can't imagine managing world-wide instantaneous messaging is that easy...

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Is the NBA not allowing players/coaches to voice their opinions on China? The NBA has already come out and said the Rockets’ media relations person should not have shut down the question to Harden and Westbrook this morning.
I guess they haven't publicly stated they are not allowing them to voice their opinions, but it sure seems that way.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I guess they haven't publicly stated they are not allowing them to voice their opinions, but it sure seems that way.

I imagine there is a lot going on that isn’t public. I think the some headlines have been misleading/excessive as they tend to be.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
38422E60-2762-439A-A61E-D6D2C129C62C-1024x662.png

Thought this was appropriate. Where u at Nike?

https://genesiustimes.com/nike-upda...hing-unless-it-upsets-the-chinese-government/

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I haven't seen this show before but I got to say I really like what this Jason Whitlock had to say.

An anti-American Wokie Doke.:D

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Where was the outrage over China's humanitarian crisis 2 weeks ago? Are you all going to get rid of your IPhones and Chinese shoes or just bash liberals until the next distraction?

• Funny
Reactions: 2forISU

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I am disappointed in Kerr and Pop being silent. They are 2 guys who have always spoken their stance and they are big enough names that the NBA isn't going to mess with them.
How's that working out for you?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Kerr gave an angry rant in an interview suggesting that we are in no place to judge China because there are mass shootings here, and people have rights like the right to bear arms, and occasionally do bad things. It was a cringey strawman of a response that is getting blasted all over Twitter today.

Sorry I missed that been busy getting ready for upcoming races.

If that's the case he's discrediting himself and proving he's a sellout.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Sorry I missed that been busy getting ready for upcoming races.

If that's the case he's discrediting himself and proving he's a sellout.
I am not going to bag too much on Kerr. It just makes previous comments throwaways to me. Its really hard to cause yourself financial ruin based on personal ethics. People do it, but they are great stories because its so rare.