Pettway compared to Martin

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
It about halfway through the season and I just wanted to see if anyone else thought Pettway was having a much better season than Martin. Earlier this year many hok fans were certain that Oliver would be so much better because he was a "starter" at Michigan. Lmao

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’m not going to take a dump on a team when they’re down. Iowa’s receivers definitely aren’t the problem of that offense and I can see why he is buried because a lot of their stuff is timing routes and he doesn’t appear to be a physical blocker.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It about halfway through the season and I just wanted to see if anyone else thought Pettway was having a much better season than Martin. Earlier this year many hok fans were certain that Oliver would be so much better because he was a "starter" at Michigan. Lmao
This question shouldn't even have to be asked. It's so apparent who is better this year and frankly, it's not even close.

Pettway: 21 catches, 254 yards, averaging 12.1 ypc and 3 TD's.

Martin: 5 catches, 28 yards, averaging 5.6 ypc and 1 TD. Hasn't caught a pass since the MTSU game.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
This question shouldn't even have to be asked. It's so apparent who is better this year and frankly, it's not even close.

Martin: 5 catches, 28 yards, averaging 5.6 ypc and 1 TD. Hasn't caught a pass since the MTSU game.

They hyped up Martin like he was the second coming of Christ

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They hyped up Martin like he was the second coming of Christ
They got really ahead of themselves. When Harbaugh used "coach speak" to say Martin was probably going to be a starter, they bought into that hook line and sinker. Martin could be a solid receiver by the time he's done but right now he's buried on Iowa's depth chart and has rarely stepped on the field against a respectable opponent.

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
They got really ahead of themselves. When Harbaugh used "coach speak" to say Martin was probably going to be a starter, they bought into that hook line and sinker. Martin could be a solid receiver by the time he's done but right now he's buried on Iowa's depth chart and has rarely stepped on the field against a respectable opponent.
Even if he was going to be a starter for Michigan. So what? Their offense is horrible.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Thought this was going to be the topic:
upload_2019-10-15_8-32-6.jpeg

• Funny

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

So, depending on metric used, we are talking:
- Over 4 times better catching the ball
- Over 9 times better gaining yards
- Over 2 times better gaining yards when catching a pass
- Exactly 3 times better catching touchdowns

Obviously with some tongue-in-cheek, but does over exaggerate the large difference in production so far that isn't even comparable.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
When talking about the Hawks the only thing that matters right now is 18-17...and in the grand scheme of things that really doesn't matter, because the goal is Dallas and Iowa has no bearing on that.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I think Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith are both good receivers and would play on a lot of Power 5 teams. People tend to forget that Kirk rarely utilizes first year players very often.

Living in CR I laugh at how Iowa fans put so much credibility on Harbaugh's claim that Oliver Martin was their best receiver. IMO, he covered all the bases on that one.

If Martin succeeds at Iowa,: he can say " I told you he was good"
If Martin doesn't succeed at Iowa, He can say " They took our best receiver and ruined him."
If Michigan's WR room flounders he can say, "We lost our best receiver."

Brilliant statement on his end.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Who are "they?" I didn't hear many Hok fans getting all that excited about Martin. Mostly I heard suspicion about what Harbaugh said, as if he was trying somehow to muck up the transfer.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I, for one, am shocked, SHOCKED, that Jim Harbaugh, of all people, would over-hype and over-value the talent of a player he recruited.

Also, outside of linemen and linebackers, Ferentz has never been particularly good at utilizing the talent of his players, especially the skill positions on offense.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So, depending on metric used, we are talking:
- Over 4 times better catching the ball
- Over 9 times better gaining yards
- Over 2 times better gaining yards when catching a pass
- Exactly 3 times better catching touchdowns

Obviously with some tongue-in-cheek, but does over exaggerate the large difference in production so far that isn't even comparable.
Pettway is a legit threat in our offense, which is a top 25 offense in the nation. Oliver Martin doesn't see the field on an offense that right now doesn't crack the top 50.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Am I the only one who saw the thread title and thought it was Pettway compared to Jalen Martin and then realized this was in the ISR forum?

Exactly the same for me. Speaking of, is it time to write off said Martin? I had been waiting for him to show up and out but it seems he’s been passed over by Shaw, Scates etc.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Who are "they?" I didn't hear many Hok fans getting all that excited about Martin. Mostly I heard suspicion about what Harbaugh said, as if he was trying somehow to muck up the transfer.
There were a couple of folks on here that were ecstatic about getting Martin and that Iowa was adding another weapon to their offense this year.. However when the news dropped that Martin was coming back to Iowa City there were articles coming out saying things like "Martin was going to change the landscape of the offense" and stuff like that. Comments on those articles were filled with fans who were getting way to ahead of themselves.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been excited, and Martin still has time at Iowa to prove himself, but right now it's sort of an "I told you so" moment.

• Agree

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There were a couple of folks on here that were ecstatic about getting Martin and that Iowa was adding another weapon to their offense this year.. However when the news dropped that Martin was coming back to Iowa City there were articles coming out saying things like "Martin was going to change the landscape of the offense" and stuff like that. Comments on those articles were filled with fans who were getting way to ahead of themselves.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been excited, and Martin still has time at Iowa to prove himself, but right now it's sort of an "I told you so" moment.

I have always been a big fan of Oliver Martin (hoped he would become a Cyclone as he had his breakout camp in Ames), but I only considered him a game-changer in the most Iowa State nut-cup way. Realistically, I didn't think he would start.

It might be interesting to reflect on the pre-season comments on this site about Pettway. Many were too distraught about losing Butler to get excited about Pettway.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Pettway is a legit threat in our offense, which is a top 25 offense in the nation. Oliver Martin doesn't see the field on an offense that right now doesn't crack the top 50.

I agree with you. The fourth option on a more explosive offense isn't comparable to the 9th most productive guy on a worse offense. I was just running the numbers comparison as a joke since production hasn't been close. The tongue-in-cheek part is just making light of the numbers and that Pettway isn't nine times better than Martin just because of the yardage ratio between the two.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10