Horrible news out of Ireland

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This is how I've felt with the NFL. Sure, it's cool to have a game here and there, but your'e taking a home game away from a team with loyal fans who work their butts off all day 24/7 and just want to enjoy their team on Sundays.

Case in point: Tampa Bay this season. No true home games between Sept. 22 and Nov. 10, in part due to game in London ... two road games, "home" game in London, bye week, two road games.

Reactions: khardbored

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The OP should be given a mini-ban for the thread title, but also a nomination for Thread Title of the Month.

Reactions: Acylum

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I've already heard from about six friends here in Lincoln who are planning on going.

This is a tourism stunt.....there will be 15,000 or so bored Nebraskans go(or more. I am underestimating for sure). I also smell BTN junket. Hell, can you blame them if you had that slush fund that they have. Spend it or lose it. 10,000 or so drunk and curious Irishfolk to fill out the bottom ring of the futball stadium and it will look OK on tv. What I don't get is Illinois? Illinois? Is Nebraska paying them what they paid Troy last year? I hope sports betting opens up a line on the over/under number of confirmed Fighting Illini fans in the stands. I would take the under on 75 right now. They really need to adopt a new marking/branding effort with their mascot. Maybe adopt a shark and start wearing gray uni's.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Sweet! Rutgers/Northwestern just announced their game in 2021 in Caracas. Bringing peace to the world through sports.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Notre Dame playing in Dublin at least makes a little sense.

Illinois and Nebraska? Lol

I think the Notre Dame games are actually Navy home games. Still makes since for Notre Dame though. It's basically a bowl game for the rich portion of their fan base.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
This is a tourism stunt.....there will be 15,000 or so bored Nebraskans go(or more. I am underestimating for sure). I also smell BTN junket. Hell, can you blame them if you had that slush fund that they have. Spend it or lose it. 10,000 or so drunk and curious Irishfolk to fill out the bottom ring of the futball stadium and it will look OK on tv. What I don't get is Illinois? Illinois? Is Nebraska paying them what they paid Troy last year? I hope sports betting opens up a line on the over/under number of confirmed Fighting Illini fans in the stands. I would take the under on 75 right now. They really need to adopt a new marking/branding effort with their mascot. Maybe adopt a shark and start wearing gray uni's.
Somebody had to give up a home game. Might as well be Illinois! BTW, cannot drink in the seats at Aviva Stadium in Dublin. Quick pint in the concession area then back to your seat you go.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
To make the game more interesting, the B10 should stipulate the loser stays in Ireland.
Maybe make it a double header with Rutgers/Maryland and get rid of 2 bottom feeders?

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
It's not much of a story here in Belfast and won't be. Most people know the NFL teams (mainly Patriots Packers Cowboys) but very few any college teams outside of Ohio State, Alabama and Florida. They don't know what an Iowa, Nebraska or Illinois is. I assume they are betting on all the Irish in Chicago making the trip maybe?

The Northern Irish love travelling to Florida and Vegas for holiday and can tell you about every little corner at Disney World and Universal.

• Informative
Reactions: AlaCyclone

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Its like a destination wedding. Yeah I want to go there, but I dont want to waste time with your dumb wedding/b10 game while Im there.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
How is Nebraska going to have their annual 8 home games with this game in the schedule?
In 2021 Nebraska is scheduled to play Illinois on the road so they don't lose a home game. Illinois does.

Aer Lingus is sponsoring this so it is a way to boost tourism. Pick some teams that travel well and the Skers have a reputation for that.

• Winner
Reactions: Lineup

Help Support Us

Become a patron