Could someone update the uninitiated on injuries?

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Injuries I know of...

JaQuan Bailey - Had surgery, possibly out for season?
Kene Nwangwu - Nagging issue, who knows?
Greg Eisworth - Sat for WVU, but hopefully back for TT?
O'Rien Vance - Knocked out of game for WVU, but back for TT?

Injuries I'm possibly making up in my head...

Deshaunte Jones - DIdn't hear anything about him being injured, but saw he didn't have any catches against WVU. Seems weird for a guy that usually has 10 in a game. If injured, could explain to me why Purdy struggled slightly more than usual.

Glad we have a bye week before the OU and Texas games.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
kene is fine just wasnt his day per hc
greg and vance are fine; day to day and should/will play for ttu

bailey probably out for the year

jones must have been taken away but is fine

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I don't think Deshaunte is hurt. But he was only targeted twice, both incomplete. My super amateur observation would say WVU focused on him as the priority to shut down, and they did quite well.

Perhaps someone who can re-watch and/or w/ more insight of coverages can confirm or explain?

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I don't think Deshaunte is hurt. But he was only targeted twice, both incomplete. My super amateur observation would say WVU focused on him as the priority to shut down, and they did quite well.

Perhaps someone who can re-watch and/or w/ more insight of coverages can confirm or explain?

Your amateur observation was better than mine, I didn't notice he was targeted.

I'd love to hear more on if WVU was focusing on him. Perhaps he was Purdy's first read and constantly covered. It would explain both their abnormal performances. I vote for someone smart to re-watch and determine if that's what was going on.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
kene is fine just wasnt his day per hc
greg and vance are fine; day to day and should/will play for ttu

bailey probably out for the year

jones must have been taken away but is fine

Hall showed he will be fantastic as our every down back! Kene showed us earlier in the season that he has a particular set of skills that I'd love to see more of. A few times a game when we catch other teams off guard.

Reactions: iowastatefan1929

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Jones had bracket coverage or over under double coverage all game. They made us use other options. Pettway was great, the TE's all looked good. Scates got a TD, Milton dropped a TD but still looked good. Overall was a good performance especially with Hall getting over 100 yards.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Found this quote on 247. I'll rest easier now. Thanks everyone for the updates!

CAMPBELL ON THE HEALTH OF GREG EISWORTH, O'RIEN VANCE

"I think both will be fine, I really do. O’Rien tried to go out there and he’ll be ready to roll. Greg I would say literally is day-to-day. He was able to practice a little bit toward the end of the week, we just didn’t feel comfortable he was ready to go play in a game right now."

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Found this quote on 247. I'll rest easier now. Thanks everyone for the updates!

CAMPBELL ON THE HEALTH OF GREG EISWORTH, O'RIEN VANCE

"I think both will be fine, I really do. O’Rien tried to go out there and he’ll be ready to roll. Greg I would say literally is day-to-day. He was able to practice a little bit toward the end of the week, we just didn’t feel comfortable he was ready to go play in a game right now."
It’s like you’re not even worried about my toe...

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Injuries I know of...

JaQuan Bailey - Had surgery, possibly out for season?
Kene Nwangwu - Nagging issue, who knows?
Greg Eisworth - Sat for WVU, but hopefully back for TT?
O'Rien Vance - Knocked out of game for WVU, but back for TT?

Injuries I'm possibly making up in my head...

Deshaunte Jones - DIdn't hear anything about him being injured, but saw he didn't have any catches against WVU. Seems weird for a guy that usually has 10 in a game. If injured, could explain to me why Purdy struggled slightly more than usual.

Glad we have a bye week before the OU and Texas games.
An announcer yesterday said that Bailey actually broke his leg - if so he should use his red-shirt this year and come back stronger next season!

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Jones had bracket coverage or over under double coverage all game. They made us use other options. Pettway was great, the TE's all looked good. Scates got a TD, Milton dropped a TD but still looked good. Overall was a good performance especially with Hall getting over 100 yards.
It seemed like LP was running the routes that DJ usually runs. Alot of short and underneath stuff. Wonder if the coaches knowing that DJ was double covered used him as a decoy.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Kene has a severe case of butterfingers.

Yeah, he was the guy that dropped the pass and then tipped it up in the air high enough that someone 5 yards away had a chance to catch it. He has shown really good hands in the past, so I will brush it off as an anomaly. He is still a guy that can do a lot of damage on the outside run. Just not tuned in yesterday for some reason.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It seemed like LP was running the routes that DJ usually runs. Alot of short and underneath stuff. Wonder if the coaches knowing that DJ was double covered used him as a decoy.
Pretty much what you have to do if you want to win. They are giving you an extra blocker or an open receiver depending on how you want to play it as an Offensive Coordinator.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, he was the guy that dropped the pass and then tipped it up in the air high enough that someone 5 yards away had a chance to catch it. He has shown really good hands in the past, so I will brush it off as an anomaly. He is still a guy that can do a lot of damage on the outside run. Just not tuned in yesterday for some reason.

The whole offense was not tuned in either...he just happened to have the ball thrown at him during that time while WV was flying around a bit.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Your amateur observation was better than mine, I didn't notice he was targeted.

I'd love to hear more on if WVU was focusing on him. Perhaps he was Purdy's first read and constantly covered. It would explain both their abnormal performances. I vote for someone smart to re-watch and determine if that's what was going on.

I cheated and looked through the game notes on cyclones.com.