BYU to start a black QB for the first time ever

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
this reminds me of my first serious girlfriend in high school (which is when this occurred). her dad was a pastor in the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church. she told me that she was studying in the front room one day when a pair of Mormon gentlemen knocked on the door [one black, one white]. she was about to answer when her dad pushed her out of the way and said he'd handle it. the guys give him their spiel, and the old man sat and thought about it for a minute, then asked the black Mormon how exactly he felt about the century+ of church discrimination against people of his color. needless to say, they were onto the next house before you could say "the church of jesus christ of latter day saints."

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
An XGF confessed to me that while attending Washington University in the 1970's that her Little Rock, Arkansas born self's first reaction at a Huskies football game was "Oh my god, the quarterback is black!". o_O Warren Moon. :rolleyes: Arkansas didn't even have their first black player at any position until 1965 so I kinda understood her reaction considering her background and all. I mean, Little Rock of all places. :oops:

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Lots of tolerance in this thread
...tolerance of banning black people?

There aren’t a lot of black Mormons because black people weren’t allowed in the mormon church until 1978. So the odds of there being a D1 QB that’s a black Mormon are pretty low.
I'm even surprised they hadn't found a black QB at any time between '78 and now -- that's still a long window by itself.

• Winner
Reactions: diaclone