***WBB: 2020 Recruiting Thread***

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Given her obvious talent (proven time and time again with Team USA and AAU along with high school), these are what the numbers mean to me:
  • Last season, she made 271 of her team's 581 FG (46.6%). She assisted on 84 of the remaining 310, meaning she scored on or assisted 61.1% of her team's FG. She had the ball in her hands a LOT and handled a ton of the scoring, so a mediocre a/to ratio shouldn't be too concerning.
  • Only one other player on the team had more than 4.4 ppg: Grace Gaber, who got most of her 8.6 ppg beyond the arc. I'm guessing Clark was basically the only real threat to drive.
  • Since there wasn't a lot of offensive ability among her teammates, I'm sure Clark received a ton of defensive attention.

I agree. It shows that the team is leaning on her way too much. I'd think that with the supporting cast she would have at ISU she could be a real star. Sometimes turnovers are credited to a player, but mistakes by other players cause them. Add to it the pressure to "be the team" and some can be explained away.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Ashley Joens' senior season, 25-1 including an upset loss (to arch-rival IC West High) in the State Championship Game, with an inexperienced supporting cast consisting of 4 sophomores and 2 freshman; team shot 709 of 1426 (49.7%) from the floor and 178 of 462 (38.6% from three point land); team scored 1964 points and averaged 75.5 points / game:

Ashley Joens - Individual:
Scored 798 Points, averaging 30.7 Points / Game;
275 of 445 from floor (61.8%);
44 of 74 from three (59.5%);
204 of 254 on FT (80.3%);
79 Assists to 48 Turnovers;

Only took 445 of 1426 shots (31.2%), meaning the rest of the team was involved, despite their lack of experience; scored 40.6% of team's points.

This is the kind of player I want to see on the Cyclone roster, hard-working, smart and unselfish, willing to do the dirty work while playing within the framework of the team.

Postscript: No, I'm not her dad or even a relative, just a City High and ISU fan!!!

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and StClone

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
  • Since there wasn't a lot of offensive ability among her teammates...

I'm going to take issue with your comment in bold; Dowling has plenty of "ability" and has been a powerhouse for years! It's not like their girls don't play AAU as well as HS...

If you replaced "ability" with "opportunity", the statement might be more accurate:
Dowling Team - 581 of 1414 from the floor (.411);
CC Individual - 271 of 662 from the floor (.409);
Remainder of Team - 310 of 752 from the floor (.412);

Other than CC, only two girls on the Dowling roster took more than 100 shots:
Grace Gaber - 139 Shots, of which 107 were threes;
Ella McVey - 112 Shots, of which 74 were threes;

It appears to me that the floor general didn't properly involve the rest of the team, plus a truly great player makes those around her better.

Conclusion: I'm going to stop now as I don't like being negative about a HS girl; I'm very happy with the four commits we have and am attempting to illustrate why I think the potential fifth (highly rated as she is!) could be a square peg in a round hole. Just sharing my opinion on a lazy Friday afternoon...

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Ashley Joens' senior season, 25-1 including an upset loss (to arch-rival IC West High) in the State Championship Game...

This is the kind of player I want to see on the Cyclone roster, hard-working, smart and unselfish, willing to do the dirty work while playing within the framework of the team.

Ashley Joens could quite possibly end up as one of the best players in ISU history. At the U19 World Championships (sample size: 7 games) Clark and Joens were both on the Team USA roster, where Clark outperformed Joens by pretty much any measurement you can come up with.

Small sample size, but you can't possibly watch those games and come to the conclusion that Clark isn't all she's been hyped up to be. I did watch much of it (primarily to see Joens) and Clark definitely passed the eye test. Just like Joens did the previous year on the U18 team.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Sometimes the way a player plays is due to coaching. A couple of years ago everything at ISU ran through Bridget to the exclusion of other players in a negative way. It’s entirely possible the same thing is happening at Dowling.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
It's really good Ines has one more season since Lindsey has to redshirt this year. Next season, Lindsey will have a huge opportunity to contribute.
I think there is a lot of potential with Lindsey. She will need to get up and down the floor much faster than she was during the open practice, but I liked what I saw when she was under the hoop. Seems like she has a good foundation to build upon during this redshirt year.

Reactions: StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Kinda bored today. Checked in for the Clark Watch. Surfed it, nothing out there much at all that I see other than some goof on a Hawk site insisting that ND has withdrawn it's offer. :rolleyes: That was worth a laugh or two.

Did look at Prospects Nation and see that half of their Top 10 are uncommitted. Wonder if the other four are as up in the air news wise or lean wise as the Clark recruitment seems to be?

Only a month out till start of signing.

wbb top ten capture.PNG

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Based on some circumstantial evidence, I suspect Clark will be announcing her choice soon and Iowa State will not be it.

Of course, given the proximity to the start of the signing period and the competition for her services, I could be completely wrong and still be right (blind squirrel, etc.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron