International Olympic class wrestler on campus?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I try to not cross-pollinate from any pay site, but there was a nugget about a wrestling recruit with an already storied international career who defected to the US and is potentially on our wrestling team as a 19 year-old at 141 pounds. I'll try and regain my purity by NOT linking but I'm really intrigued by this kids back-story and if he IS going to join our program...

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I try to not cross-pollinate from any pay site, but there was a nugget about a wrestling recruit with an already storied international career who defected to the US and is potentially on our wrestling team as a 19 year-old at 141 pounds. I'll try and regain my purity by NOT linking but I'm really intrigued by this kids back-story and if he IS going to join our program...
Is he in the ISU student directory online?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Yeah they are talking about Echemendia. Took the SAT last Saturday before dominating Saunders at Flo's WNO. If he gets the score needed to get accepted into Iowa State, he will be enrolled for second semester. But he is on campus and working out with the team and looking pretty dang good from what I am hearing

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Yeah they are talking about Echemendia. Took the SAT last Saturday before dominating Saunders at Flo's WNO. If he gets the score needed to get accepted into Iowa State, he will be enrolled for second semester. But he is on campus and working out with the team and looking pretty dang good from what I am hearing
It’s been some time since I was in college, but is the SAT now needed to get into ISU? ACT was always the test of choice for the Iowa schools.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I just heard we have this kid on the team whose dad was a former champ for ISU. He’s supposed to be pretty good himself. Anyone know anything?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
It’s been some time since I was in college, but is the SAT now needed to get into ISU? ACT was always the test of choice for the Iowa schools.

I had to take the ACT to get into Iowa State as well and that was only a few years ago. Not sure if because of the language barrier they allowed him to take the SAT or if there was a translator available for the SAT that Iowa State said they would accept, but I know it was the SAT that he took.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Thought I heard he needed a 600 on SAT. No idea if that is true or how hard that is to get

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
On the West Coast, the SAT is the preferred college exam. ISU accepts both. I am from California and took the SAT. I took it long ago, but if you can write your name and add integers (maybe even subtract a few) you can get a 600.