2019-2020 Expectations

condor

Feb 2, 2018
I'm with Boxer here. Give Echemendia a year to acclimate to academics, the language, and folkstyle. Maybe he could be an AA this year, but what could he be next year? If Dresser had the self control to wait on World Champion David Carr, you have to think he'll do the same for Echemendia.

Also, who has better wins right now on this team than Ian? Defending national champion Dean Heil, current #1 Demas, 2 time AA Kaid Brock. Wasn't he up on Eierman last year before getting pinned? I think Ian's biggest obstacle is his own health, which he tends to sacrifice because he is such a grinder. He always loses some momentum when he has to sit out a couple of weeks each year.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I'm with Boxer here. Give Echemendia a year to acclimate to academics, the language, and folkstyle. Maybe he could be an AA this year, but what could he be next year? If Dresser had the self control to wait on World Champion David Carr, you have to think he'll do the same for Echemendia.

Also, who has better wins right now on this team than Ian? Defending national champion Dean Heil, current #1 Demas, 2 time AA Kaid Brock. Wasn't he up on Eierman last year before getting pinned? I think Ian's biggest obstacle is his own health, which he tends to sacrifice because he is such a grinder. He always loses some momentum when he has to sit out a couple of weeks each year.
As good of wins Ian has he also has some equally bad losses. Nice that we are starting to have conversations/debates around who will win a spot and contend for AA status at that spot. The way it should be.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I'm with Boxer here. Give Echemendia a year to acclimate to academics, the language, and folkstyle. Maybe he could be an AA this year, but what could he be next year?
He could not be on the team at all next year. Or he could not be able to maintain eligibility past the first semester. If he is better than Parker, and eligible, he needs to be in the lineup. Who knows what his future holds.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
He could not be on the team at all next year. Or he could not be able to maintain eligibility past the first semester. If he is better than Parker, and eligible, he needs to be in the lineup. Who knows what his future holds.
This x 1000

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
This exact same argument can be applied to any athlete in any sport. Why redshirt Gomez and Carr who were clearly the best man at each weight? Selfishly I’d love to see him wrestle this year but this is not a typical recruit.

We have a student that was in jail in Cuba and has been in the USA for less than 2 years. I’d like to give him every opportunity to 1) actually leave ISU with a degree and 2) win a crap ton of matches in an ISU singlet. I’ve read where if he doesn’t make it academically some feel he just slides into the RTC. It would be a lost opportunity for AE and ISU if we don’t maximize his time in college.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
This exact same argument can be applied to any athlete in any sport. Why redshirt Gomez and Carr who were clearly the best man at each weight? Selfishly I’d love to see him wrestle this year but this is not a typical recruit.

We have a student that was in jail in Cuba and has been in the USA for less than 2 years. I’d like to give him every opportunity to 1) actually leave ISU with a degree and 2) win a crap ton of matches in an ISU singlet. I’ve read where if he doesn’t make it academically some feel he just slides into the RTC. It would be a lost opportunity for AE and ISU if we don’t maximize his time in college.
I am generally opposed to redshirting if a guy is clearly the best guy at the weight. A bit of an outdated concept imo.

But Echemendia especially seems like someone who won’t be here for 5 years.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I am generally opposed to redshirting if a guy is clearly the best guy at the weight. A bit of an outdated concept imo.

But Echemendia especially seems like someone who won’t be here for 5 years.
I’m not trying to argue here at all and trying to seek some understanding. Yes he is Cuban defector or whatever the term is but what leads you to believe he won’t be here long term? Again not arguing just wondering if there’s more info about him I don’t know about it as a wanna be die heard clone wrestling fan. Regardless I am pumped for him to be on our team.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
If he only wanted to go the international route he had pathways. He could have simply gone the RTC as he first intended. Not sure why he would put himself through all the hoops of admissions and then classes if he didn’t want an education. Maybe you have some inside info Crablegs?

i too don’t agree with redshirting if they are the best man for the weight but I also think this is a very unique situation and also we would be foolish not to utilize redshirting to maximize our team chances (in the future) similar to what we’ve seen with PSU et al.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
It’s not as though we are completely devoid of talent at the weight class(es) he projects to. If we were in the hunt for a National Title, and we were decided whether or not to redshirt “the best man” at a weight, then sure...get him in the lineup. The program is definitely on the rise, but we aren’t there yet. Given the situation, I believe it best for the kid to RS, and that may ultimately be what’s best for the program going forward, as well. Seems a no brainer for me.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
If he only wanted to go the international route he had pathways. He could have simply gone the RTC as he first intended. Not sure why he would put himself through all the hoops of admissions and then classes if he didn’t want an education. Maybe you have some inside info Crablegs?

i too don’t agree with redshirting if they are the best man for the weight but I also think this is a very unique situation and also we would be foolish not to utilize redshirting to maximize our team chances (in the future) similar to what we’ve seen with PSU et al.
No inside info. I just think he is so new to all this. Does he even understand what college wrestling is all about? Definitely does not understand what the academics are about.

I just think there are a lot of reasons he might not be around for 5 years.
1. Can’t make it academically.
2. Decides folkstyle and the grind of the college season isn’t right for him.
3. Struggles to adjust to the culture, weather, whiteness of Ames Iowa.

I think every college recruit is a risk, and given his situation, even much more so.

PSU is able to use grayshirts with guys that are academically and financially very stable, that have been brought up with nothing but wrestling and support in their lives (Lee, Beard, Brooks, Nevills, etc.) But they also wrestle a ton of true freshman (Hall, RBY, Suriano, Zain).

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

Rather

Jul 21, 2014
Not redshirting a guy because collegiate wrestling might be too big adjustment is not really a logic I’m following. I can envision a scenario where he has a lot of collegiate success right away and a scenario where he’s not on the team in a couple of years, I don’t see much overlap in the two possibilities. FWIW, I generally do not agree with redshirting the best wrestler.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think AE will get some Open tournaments in the 1st semester and see where he is at.

I have heard talk of some Army program some time in the next few year, where he can do that for a couple years and maintain some eligibility. (Something like a Mormon mission). I didn't think that could happen after his D1 clock started, but I don't have a clue.

I assume Ian is our man this year and deal with the rest if AE gets into Iowa State and get a few Opens under his belt.

• Friendly
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think AE will get some Open tournaments in the 1st semester and see where he is at.

I have heard talk of some Army program some time in the next few year, where he can do that for a couple years and maintain some eligibility. (Something like a Mormon mission). I didn't think that could happen after his D1 clock started, but I don't have a clue.

I assume Ian is our man this year and deal with the rest if AE gets into Iowa State and get a few Opens under his belt.

Hey buf...I assume the Scuffle is a 2nd semester open (Jan 1). I know the SS isn’t what it used to be, but that could be a great opportunity to see him in action early, yeah?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Hey buf...I assume the Scuffle is a 2nd semester open (Jan 1). I know the SS isn’t what it used to be, but that could be a great opportunity to see him in action early, yeah?

I am not sure. 2nd semester wouldn’t have started yet, but is Scuffle considered an open?

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
IF the coaches promised him a chance to earn the starting spot and that sealed the decision for him to become a Cyclone then let him roll this year (assuming he can beat Parker). IF he and the coaches have discussed a "wait and see" approach like most recruits do then I'd think the coaches will do just that. IF he's adjusting fine, getting good grades, and open minded to red-shirting then I'd be in the "redshirt camp". I trust in the coaches. Either way I l'm excited for the competition and the future is bright.

btw - I think it's a big assumption that he can beat Parker in Folkstyle right away. I wouldn't be completely surprised, but it's a huge step up from beating HS guys to D1 college guys. Especially in a style that he doesn't have much experience in. IF I had to bet I wouldn't put a lot of money on it but I'd bet on Parker. That said... If he takes the spot then I'd support him 100%! No matter what we've now got a log jam at 141...bout time ;)

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron