Should ISU start overselling student tickets?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Supposedly no, if they did this it would put us over the 61,500 max capacity number.

Which is also one of my big questions, how is that area so packed for those games all the way to the top, even when they over pack the rows? If they are selling more tickets than row/section capacity, then those games numbers should be higher than the 61,500 number because of the so called "standing room" tickets.[/QUOTE]
Student here. My experience is that there's a lot of non-students in the student sections for those games. Siblings and friends who have tickets elsewhere but want to sit with their ISU student friends.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Oversell by 10% and once the section is full, send them to the hillsides or SRO. Not going to hurt.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
People in the student section without student section tickets.
I get that, but the entire stadium was packed so if the student section was 25 percent above cap. You would have thought there would be other areas had open areas, but I guess if you spread it out over the entire stadium it might not look that way.

Like I said, I admit this was just a random thought, and probably not a good one. It wasnt a so called bash the students post either. It was just an observation, and an idea. There is always reasons for people to not make a game, it sounds like they have a pretty decent system now to address students transferring tickets to other students. Something that was not as easy in my day. This type of system making it as easy as possible for students to buy sell and trade tickets between them is a better option and is a must, for a great student section, I think.

There are a number of factors that work against us in a game like Saturday as far as the crowd goes and I still think we did a pretty great job of filling the stands. I didn't want this to sound like a negative post. But it probably came off that way.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Yes I realize this.

Supposedly no, if they did this it would put us over the 61,500 max capacity number.

Which is also one of my big questions, how is that area so packed for those games all the way to the top, even when they over pack the rows? If they are selling more tickets than row/section capacity, then those games numbers should be higher than the 61,500 number because of the so called "standing room" tickets.

You also have people who buy hillside tickets, but sit in the students section. I did this my first year after graduating. I got a job in Ames, but had a couple of friends in graduate school. So I bought hillside tickets but sat with my friends in the student section.

But, from my view, the upper decks of the student section. Usually has a lot of room. Between the students, you probably have more numbered seats then students. It's very comfortable up there. My senior season in undergrad, we sat in the upper deck (2009), and it was never packed shoulder to shoulder up there.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You also have people who buy hillside tickets, but sit in the students section. I did this my first year after graduating. I got a job in Ames, but had a couple of friends in graduate school. So I bought hillside tickets but sat with my friends in the student section.

But, from my view, the upper decks of the student section. Usually has a lot of room. Between the students, you probably have more numbered seats then students. It's very comfortable up there. My senior season in undergrad, we sat in the upper deck (2009), and it was never packed shoulder to shoulder up there.
I dont think that is an option anymore though, I thought hill side tickets were only for Little cyclone club members and families. Yet I guess they could be buying extra and selling them to others.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I just posted about that, I was not sure if they had that option, If that is the case then that is probably a better option, just make it as easy as possible to transfer them etc. App, website, whatever works best.
I can admit when I am wrong, it was just an Idea.

I only know because both of my kids are students. ISU has made it really easy for students to transfer tickets.

Reactions: 2speedy1

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
That is the definition of overselling.
No, because you'd still only be selling one ticket per seat. If the rows currently have 30 seats, each 18" wide, you could make each seat 16" wide and fit another 4 seats on the same length of bleacher. Only do it in the student sections - us old folks are fat and squished enough as it is.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
No, because you'd still only be selling one ticket per seat. If the rows currently have 30 seats, each 18" wide, you could make each seat 16" wide and fit another 4 seats on the same length of bleacher. Only do it in the student sections - us old folks are fat and squished enough as it is.

I'm guessing there is some sort of rule or regulation on this. If not why not just get rid of "seats" and just call it a general admission section and let it be a free for all since that's what it is anyways.

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
Watching basketball games and seeing the student section the past few years got me thinking. I wonder if it's an option to have the students "check in" 12-24 hours before the game. If you're not checked in, your ticket goes into a general admission bucket where they charge some reasonable price ($10 for basketball games, $25 for football games, or whatever they want to charge). Designate a certain section for these seats such as the top rows at Hilton and NE section (can't remember the letter) at JTS.

This would allow the stadium to not look as empty and have the athletics department generate a new line of revenue. Seems like with all the technology we have access to, this would be attainable.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Given the fact that I can’t even send and receive texts around the stadium there’s no way I’m trusting an app to get me in. Paper tix in hand only for me.

I do like your idea though

When I have an eticket or use to do the mobile pass, I just screen shot the ticket. Never had an issue with the screen shots.