Should ISU start overselling student tickets?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Tickets should be on an app and easily allow people to sell of even give away for free.

Given the fact that I can’t even send and receive texts around the stadium there’s no way I’m trusting an app to get me in. Paper tix in hand only for me.

I do like your idea though

• Winner
Reactions: MNCYWX

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Let’s have a gain where it’s not going to rain and/or delay it the whole time. Son, a freshman, sat with us because we had an open seat. He said it would be lighter attendance because the last two losses took some fire out of the students with the high expectations we have. Plus it raining and we would be lucky to fill half the student sections. They probably are 20-25% above row capacity on many.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
They don't sell out games after September anyways so why bother? Supply already exceeds demand.
But they sell out student tix in July so students cant get any more. So if more students want to come even though the game isnt sold out they cant unless they want to pay general public prices. Which is my point.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think the weather affects student attendance more than the rest of the stadium. Their tickets don’t cost that much and most of them likely didn’t buy them anyway. If the forecast is bad they probably just sleep until 3pm instead.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Given the fact that I can’t even send and receive texts around the stadium there’s no way I’m trusting an app to get me in. Paper tix in hand only for me.

I dont think student tix are paper anymore though, I think they are on their IDs so they would use the app before the game to transfer etc to get them to each other, and then just use the ID

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
But they sell out student tix in July so students cant get any more. So if more students want to come even though the game isnt sold out they cant unless they want to pay general public prices. Which is my point.

Students can easily transfer or sell their tickets to other students. I also think they have a location where they can post them for sale. Bigger issue has been the weather and a couple close loses.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Let’s have a gain where it’s not going to rain and/or delay it the whole time. Son, a freshman, sat with us because we had an open seat. He said it would be lighter attendance because the last two losses took some fire out of the students with the high expectations we have. Plus it raining and we would be lucky to fill half the student sections. They probably are 20-25% above row capacity on many.
I agree, but overselling would mean that even if 20% decided not to come there is still a larger pool of students to fill those seats.
Might not be a great Idea, Making it so you can throw your student tickets up on an app for any other student to get or trade etc might be a better idea.
I can admit when I am wrong. But a student transfer app for tix, set up through the University, so anyone can sell, trade or give away student tix just like they do for general public, just easily transfer to another student ID is probably a better Idea, it would allow other people to go when someone cant or dont want to.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Students can easily transfer or sell their tickets to other students. I also think they have a location where they can post them for sale. Bigger issue has been the weather and a couple close loses.
I just posted about that, I was not sure if they had that option, If that is the case then that is probably a better option, just make it as easy as possible to transfer them etc. App, website, whatever works best.
I can admit when I am wrong, it was just an Idea.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I agree, but overselling would mean that even if 20% decided not to come there is still a larger pool of students to fill those seats.
Might not be a great Idea, Making it so you can throw your student tickets up on an app for any other student to get or trade etc might be a better idea.
I can admit when I am wrong. But a student transfer app for tix, set up through the University, so anyone can sell, trade or give away student tix just like they do for general public, just easily transfer to another student ID is probably a better Idea, it would allow other people to go when someone cant or dont want to.

Their tickets are like mobile ticket my son said. There is a site they go to to buy or sell tickets I was told. Never asked what it was since my kid goes to all of them.

Reactions: 2speedy1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Agree, transferred a ticket to my niece she went ahead and printed it off before the game. She says the only way it works on the phone is to have it pulled up and saved before coming anywhere near the stadium.

For everyone else talking about ticket transferring isn't the e transfer available to anyone that has a ticket? I only buy singles for FB but I could transfer them, is that option available to me because have season BB tickets I really don't know.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
To the OP, the students pack in the bottom section of their section. There are more students I a single row then numbered seats. This is part of the problem. I remember having to stand with my shoulders Pointing to the field because there were so many people sitting in that lower section. Even in big games, you'll see the upper corner a little empty because the lower sections are packed with students.

With the this week's weather, I would assume a large portion decided to watch in their apartment or form due to the weather. Additionally, losing to Baylor was tough considering the potentially of our team.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If a student really wants to go to a game, there is always a ticket available for cheap. Especially for the non-premiere games (say, unranked TCU on a wet Saturday) where there may be extra seats anyway.

The thing with basketball is there were a chunk of students buying the All Sports Pass and then only going to Kansas and Iowa. I don't think that happens nearly as much with football, it's more of an all-day social event and students with season tickets are generally going to most of the games. It's not close to 100% at every game like the Iowa game was but it's also not like a Tuesday 5:00 PM tip against Grand Valley State in December in a snowstorm.

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
I’m a student currently and I’m pretty sure they do sell more tickets than there are student section seats. For Iowa and UNI students were watching from the stairs and we were packed like sardines. I could barely move my arms around which gets really depressing when juicy wiggle comes on.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
It's really easy to sell student tickets and usually they get pretty cheap after the September games. I think having grass lots closed for tailgating has hurt student attendance quite a bit. I would imagine the OSU game will be packed as long as the team plays well the next two weekends.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
To the OP, the students pack in the bottom section of their section. There are more students I a single row then numbered seats. This is part of the problem. I remember having to stand with my shoulders Pointing to the field because there were so many people sitting in that lower section.
Yes I realize this.

I’m a student currently and I’m pretty sure they do sell more tickets than there are student section seats. For Iowa and UNI students were watching from the stairs and we were packed like sardines. I could barely move my arms around which gets really depressing when juicy wiggle comes on.

Supposedly no, if they did this it would put us over the 61,500 max capacity number.

Which is also one of my big questions, how is that area so packed for those games all the way to the top, even when they over pack the rows? If they are selling more tickets than row/section capacity, then those games numbers should be higher than the 61,500 number because of the so called "standing room" tickets.