Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Wonder what you ran into, some mass of migrating insects or something? It's unusual these days with the "windshield phenomenon" as observed by people who see fewer insects smashed on their screens. Drove to Iowa in September and hardly had to clean the windshield at all after 600 miles. Anecdotal evidence of declining insect populations although some scientists in Europe are actually measuring it via this method. Seems WAY less than me driving that same route 30 years ago. And another thing I notice, scarcity of fireflies in rural Iowa compared to what I used to see.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/magazine/insect-apocalypse.html

@NWICY should weigh in on his observations since it seems he lives in his car and drives a couple thousand miles a week through rural Midwest.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cyrevkah and wxman1

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
They changed our security system while I was gone. Finally moved into the 21st century and no longer have to swipe my badge, just wave it by the sensor.
On the bad side you are expected to also wave it by the sensor when you exit the building.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wonder what you ran into, some mass of migrating insects or something? It's unusual these days with the "windshield phenomenon" as observed by people who see fewer insects smashed on their screens. Drove to Iowa in September and hardly had to clean the windshield at all after 600 miles. Anecdotal evidence of declining insect populations although some scientists in Europe are actually measuring it via this method. Seems WAY less than me driving that same route 30 years ago. And another thing I notice, scarcity of fireflies in rural Iowa compared to what I used to see.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/magazine/insect-apocalypse.html

@NWICY should weigh in on his observations since it seems he lives in his car and drives a couple thousand miles a week through rural Midwest.

Aphids in beans have increased and became a serious problem and most bean fields get sprayed with insecticides. Couple that with BT corn for corn borers (these are the moths that used to plaster your windshield) and you have less fall insects.

Now what is causing the decrease in incest that you mentioned???? I have no idea and am avoiding that situation all together.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Got to the middle of Benton county when we found out the game was pushed back. Decided it was a good excuse to go to Welch Ave Station. I wouldn't be surprised if the flooding in the areas you drove through has caused an increase in the number of bugs in those areas.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Emma has had super watery diarrhea since yesterday morning. Puked twice last night, got chills and started shaking most of the night. Sadie had diarrhea last night in Clear Lake. Probably being overly cautious, but dont want to mess around with it coming out of both ends.
Sounds like a couple of somebodies chowed down on something they shouldn't have...one, more than the other. Hopefully it's just that - a little temporary gastric distress.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and NWICY

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Sounds like a couple of somebodies chowed down on something they shouldn't have...one, more than the other. Hopefully it's just that - a little temporary gastric distress.

Yeah, vet wasnt sure. Have anti-nausea for Emma, some other meds for both, and special dog food for the next few days. Sounds like Emma puked in the truck a few miles from home. :mad:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Went "up nort" end of last week fishing. Thought of @cowgirl836 when cleaning perch, crappie and walleye with - you know - a fish knife. Fishing wasn't great but a bad day on the lake is still better than a good day at work. Drove back to TC's and then down to Ames all on Friday. Son enjoyed the game and tailgating. Mrs. Velo worried that she has lost her ticket permanently to him. Too much driving, had to take a little nap after church on Sunday.

This post is CG approved.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Still pumped this afternoon from watching my Packers beat Dallas in JerryWorld yesterday. I know better than to rub the opposition's face in it, cuz those things can change in a heartbeat. But always fun to win on the road, and especially there. Aaron Rodgers is 4-0 in that building.

Reactions: NWICY

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Taking the vixen to the Well tonight to hear Ann and Nancy Wilson, AKA Heart. When I last heard them on the tube Ann was still belting 'em out. Crazy on You is still one of my all-time favorites.

Maybe I should do an actual review, start a thread with @MeanDean, @cyclones500, and @CycloneRulzzz's approval(s).

You don't need our approval. Would love to hear how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.