Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Aaron has been in the TV install/home entertainment business for 35-years. He wired our house and installed our first HD in 2004. He's a good guy. Competent. And trustworthy.
What the heck took him an hour and a half. Did he log you into every service?

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
i just finished paying out local tv guy $110 to install roku. when the picture came up for espn+, i was unimpressed. reminded me of pre-hd days. but getting a modem upgrade next week, so we'll see.

Holy ****, you’re dumb

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
LOL. Would you like to compare resumes? It's pretty clear that you guys have never set up a Roku system. It takes 30-mins or so just to download the software.

I have many roku devices on my TVs. Downloading software? How slow is your internet? I can have a brand new roku plugged in and set up within 10-15 minutes taking my time. If it takes you 30 minutes to update the software, your internet connection is the issue, not the roku or espn+. (granted espn+ does have flaws but your internet is the biggest one if this is the case.)

Plug in, power on (1 minute)
Sign into roku account (2 minutes)
Update (3-5 minutes)
Download channels and re-orgnize (5 minutes)
Scan for tv channels (if roku tv) (3 minutes)
Done

Last edited:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
LOL. Would you like to compare resumes? It's pretty clear that you guys have never set up a Roku system. It takes 30-mins or so just to download the software.

Not a fan of the name-callling...but I have 4 in my home...and each was set up in well less than 10 minutes. We have decent internet...but still. I would argue it took me as long to remove the bloatware channels that came preinstalled (which wasn't very long) than it did to set the rest of it up!

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
The point here is not that I'm stupid, I'll give you that, the point is that the ESPN strategy is in full play and working.
ESPN has a rough road ahead. Disney with the introduction of Disney+ and acquisition of Hulu has forced ESPN to spend money on ESPN+ without premium content as part of their goal to challenge Netflix with the Disney+/ Hulu / ESPN+ bundle.

ESPN / ESPN2 have 80+ million cable subscribers at $9/month ($8.64B/yr) and losing 3+ million subscribers per yr to cord cutting. ESPN+ has only 2+ million subscribers at $5/mo ($0.12B/yr) and higher churn since it is a month to month service.

If they put their premium content from ESPN / ESPN2 on ESPN+ they would need to raise the price to $25-30/month to recoup the loss of cable subscribers as every cable operator would drop them off the base tier in order to lower their cost / prices. Right now their current contracts prevent them from moving the premium content over to a direct to consumer offering. Evidently the BigXII must have offered some better content in order to get more money from ESPN when they announced the start of the BigXII streaming channel.

Only the true die-hard sports fans will pick it up for that price and most would only keep if for the minimum time necessary to watch the teams / leagues that we are interested in.

They are up to renew their MNF / highlight video package with the NFL within the next yr+. They currently pay $1.9B/yr for those rights. Don't see how they can even extend at current cost let alone pay more like the NFL is going to want / demand. This will be the 1st domino to fall in the next round of sports broadcast rights fees for all the different leagues. Sports leagues have gotten bloated on excessive TV contracts on the average cable subscriber when most don't even watch. The only hope for the sports leagues is that internet companies like Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc... step up to the plate and keep the gravy train going...