STAFF PICKS: Iowa State vs. TCU

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
An abnormal number of our writers are on the Horned Frogs this week. What do you guys think?

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2019/10/staff-picks-tcu-horned-frogs/

i dunno, ISU has played what appear to be 2 good to very good teams and lost. And if not for what normally happens to ISU ( where a kicker who never made a field goal in college squeezes one through) ISU could be looking at 3-1

TCU the one good team they played they lost to as well. Purdue was and is decimated by injuries, so they are probably bottom 2 or 3 in the Big 10. KU is a slump buster.

If you look at Massey Purdue sits at 86 and KU at 96, SMU is at 19.
vs Iowa 11, Baylor 35, and Lousiana Monroe 102..

Both blew out the bad teams. Lost close ones to the good teams. Just happens that TCU has the luxury of playing more bad teams, thus getting the extra win.

ISU just needs to hang on the to the ball and finish some drives..

On the defensive side ISU is the best team TCU has faced thus far this year.

Normally I am conservative, but this has the makings of WV last year (all be it a lighter version)

ISU 24-TCU 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Bucklara

Jan 14, 2016
Love the outlook in this thread. Lots of sunshine will be spread on the boards tomorrow. ISU has proven they can respond over the last 2yrs. Hard to predict points being scored in the game given last 2 games in series and possible weather. However, ISU gets it rolling in October AGAIN. 31-20, lay the points.

Reactions: fsanford

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
i dunno, ISU has played what appear to be 2 good to very good teams and lost. And if not for what normally happens to ISU ( where a kicker who never made a field goal in college squeezes one through) ISU could be looking at 3-1

TCU the one good team they played they lost to as well. Purdue was and is decimated by injuries, so they are probably bottom 2 or 3 in the Big 10. KU is a slump buster.

If you look at Massey Purdue sits at 86 and KU at 96, SMU is at 19.
vs Iowa 11, Baylor 35, and Lousiana Monroe 102..

Both blew out the bad teams. Lost close ones to the good teams. Just happens that TCU has the luxury of playing more bad teams, thus getting the extra win.

ISU just needs to hang on the to the ball and finish some drives..

On the defensive side ISU is the best team TCU has faced thus far this year.

Normally I am conservative, but this has the makings of WV last year (all be it a lighter version)

ISU 24-TCU 13.

One could also talk about the UNI and Drake games where one key play in each saved this team from real doom in the last 12 months. I have seen nothing from this team to warrant believing they can beat a solid football team right now. Over the last 8 games they certainly have #ProvedIt to me (and unfortunately not in a positive fashion). TCU 24 ISU 14 and cracks start to surface within the team.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm expecting a loss here. We look like a 6 win low tier bowl type team, which is fine. We just aren't the next step prove it team relative to the 8 win teams the last few years. Two steps forward, one back, keep loving the process. We will get there.

hawkscj

Sep 12, 2019
I'm expecting a loss here. We look like a 6 win low tier bowl type team, which is fine. We just aren't the next step prove it team relative to the 8 win teams the last few years. Two steps forward, one back, keep loving the process. We will get there.

Where do you think this going? What are your thoughts about already being where you will end up? There are not many teams in the history of college football that can maintain an 8 win season year in and year out. Most of them have the location advantages that ISU will never have. Not sure what the expected ceiling is for MC and this staff, but this is what is going to happen most years. Win some you shouldn't win and lose some you shouldn't lose.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Love the outlook in this thread. Lots of sunshine will be spread on the boards tomorrow. ISU has proven they can respond over the last 2yrs. Hard to predict points being scored in the game given last 2 games in series and possible weather. However, ISU gets it rolling in October AGAIN. 31-20, lay the points.

But will it be pumped? If we had a sunshine pumper button...we'd know.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Where do you think this going? What are your thoughts about already being where you will end up? There are not many teams in the history of college football that can maintain an 8 win season year in and year out. Most of them have the location advantages that ISU will never have. Not sure what the expected ceiling is for MC and this staff, but this is what is going to happen most years. Win some you shouldn't win and lose some you shouldn't lose.
Where is it going? Winning games they should win like BU and Iowa. We’ve dropped several games in which they’ve led in the fourth quarter the last few years, yet 8 wins.

The next step is adding a 10+ win season to the rotation by winning most of the winnable games. It could/should have been this year, but perhaps it’s next year.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Not if their offense is atrocious as you suggested.

Their offense may not be one of the top offenses in the Big 12, but it’s likely effective and not the huge weakness you’re suggesting. Certainly effective enough that a win is unlikely if we continue to lose on ST (Reagor) and TOs, plus have an ineffective offense ourselves as we have outside of the ULM game.

We’re a good team that will have a chance to win nearly every game. But it’s hard to feel good about the odds of winning a lot of those close games when we consistently lose on STs and TOs, plus have inconsistent and ineffective offense that lacks a run game.

If you are ranked 80 or below in offensive efficiency you are pretty atrocious.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If you are ranked 80 or below in offensive efficiency you are pretty atrocious.
If the only options are atrocious and not atrocious, and offensive efficiency the only metric.

Don’t be a simpleton. TCU’s offense is effective enough to think picking TCU overall has merit. With our offense and ST, they don’t need to be good.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If the only options are atrocious and not atrocious, and offensive efficiency the only metric.

Don’t be a simpleton. TCU’s offense is effective enough to think picking TCU overall has merit. With our offense and ST, they don’t need to be good.

Wow! you must really love strawmen. And also, getting personal and calling names shows your maturity level is pretty damn low.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You'll get beat up for this but you're right. I was believing the finishing third hype and guzzling the kool-aid all summer. It's gonna be tough getting slammed back to earth.
The talk of 3rd was reasonable, but also contingent on winning toss-ups and close games.

Imo this team doesn’t really look any worse than expected imo. Two bad game plans and bad bounces.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Wow! you must really love strawmen. And also, getting personal and calling names shows your maturity level is pretty damn low.
It’s not a straw man, it’s the logic your statement depends on. I agree that they’re atrocious if we’re limited to using such simpleton criteria. By the way, you’re already moving the bar with “pretty” atrocious? Next you’ll backtrack to a little atrocious?

It’s a message board. It’s not possible to be personal, and if you take it otherwise you need log off for awhile.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It’s not a straw man, it’s the logic your statement depends on. I agree that they’re atrocious if we’re limited to using such simpleton criteria. By the way, you’re already moving the bar with “pretty” atrocious? Next you’ll backtrack to a little atrocious?

It’s a message board. It’s not possible to be personal, and if you take it otherwise you need log off for awhile.

It is the very definition of strawman. Making an argument that I never made. Ok, I guess if you think pretty atrocious is any better than atrocious?

Can't even admit it. Sad and very low energy post.

• Dislike
Reactions: SerenityNow

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I give up predicting these games.

Every game we play will come down to 3-5 key plays. A stop on 3rd down, a conversion on 3rd and long, a field goal, etc. We'll win or lose by 3 or less.