2019-2020 Expectations

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Well, with the football disappointment from Saturday, and the Vikings continuing to find ways to let me down, I am ready for wrestling season to begin. Below are my weight by weight expectations for the upcoming season!

125- I like how hard Mackall wrestles, and think he improved as the year went on last year. His ceiling is probably 7-8th place at NCAA, but with some of the studs coming off redshirt at 125, I am expecting similar results to last year where he is a R12 or just missing the R12 season. He is the type of guy that can get some points on the back side as he is pretty good at getting majors or going for pins against lesser competition. Prediction for NCAA's: R12. Side note: real excited to see what Aden Reeves can do this year as a redshirt. I think he is the real deal and will push Mackall for the spot next season.

133- First off, Gomez needs to work on weight management in order to achieve his true potential this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Todd Small is the guy to start the season at 133. However, if Gomez can manage his weight and work on being solid in all positions, I think he can get to the 3/4th place match. If he struggles with weight management, probably looking at another R12 type season from Austin. I'll go somewhere in the middle. Prediction for NCAA's: 6th place. Also, it is nice to have depth here as I believe Todd would be a top 20 wrestler if forced into action.

141- Ian seems to sneak in one or two big upsets in the month of January that always gives us hope for NCAAs, but then falters as the season goes on. I think a lot of this is due to guys struggling with his pace when they first wrestle him, and then he also has been dinged up at the end of the year the last couple seasons. I think he can be a R12 type wrestler, but not sure he will reach R12 this year. Prediction: 2-2 at NCAAs. Hot take for the season- If Echemendia qualifies and enrolls sometime this semester, I think he could be the guy at 141 come big 12s.

149- I really like Jarrett, and he always peaks at the end of the season. However, I think he is a little overrated in Flo's preseason rankings at 3. That being said, if he doesn't wrestle some of the guys like Sasso, Lee, or O'Connor until NCAAs, he could very well beat them as it takes a match or two to adjust to Jarrett's style. I am guessing he takes another step up from last year though and reaches the 5th/6th place match. Prediction: 5th place.

157- It's been a while since there has been this much hype for an Iowa State redshirt, and I think Carr is legit. He has some tough matches right off the bat, and while he might lose some of them, by the time NCAAs roll around I think David will be one of the top title contenders. May have some cardinal glasses on for this prediction, but we haven't had a champ since Kyven and we are due. Prediction: NCAA Champ

165- I am assuming Chase will win this spot in the lineup. Chase came on at the end of the year last year and really bought into the coaching staff. I am curious to see if he will be big enough to compete at 165 as I still believe 157 is his better weight, but he will have a motor and be able to wear some guys out at 165. I am expecting similar results to what he had last year. Prediction: 1-2 at NCAAs.

174- I think the length of the season took its toll on Marcus. He looked really good at the beginning of the year, but just looked tired in every match at the end of the year. He still had what I would consider a successful freshman season, and think he has a chance to take another step this year. He has the talent to be an AA at 174 if he can handle the full season. I am hoping he hit the weights hard this off season. I am expecting him to take a step forward. Prediction: R12.

184- Man, what could've been last year. I don't think anyone has improved as much as Sammy has the last couple years. Like Austin, weight control will be big for him, but I think he is taking the right steps and has a chance to continue to grow and start to dominate opponents. Zahid moving up to 184 hurts his title chances, but Colbray has the talent to still challenge this year. I don't think he gets to the title match, but do think he will AA. Prediction: 6th place.

197- I think either Shapiro or Duggan will be solid at this weight. I am curious to see how they handle a full season, and how either Shapiro handles wrestling up a weight or how Duggan handles the cut down to 197. Either way, I am expecting they qualify for nationals and maybe sneak a win, but qualifying will be a good season. Prediction: NCAA Qualifier, but 0-2.

Hwt- Gannon has beat a few of the guys ranked ahead of him preseason, and I am hoping another off season in the weight room will have him stronger than ever. I am expecting Gremmel to take another step this year and get close to AA honors, but fall just short. Prediction: R12

4 AAs and 10 qualifiers would have me ecstatic at the end of the year, so I am probably being rather optimistic with my picks, but I really believe this staff will have the team ready to take another step and get into the top 10 in Minneapolis. Excited for the season to start and watch this team continue to grow!

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Well, Austin Gomez insta handle is now 141 lbs and not 133. That certainly changes things. I think Todd Small can be a top 20 wrestler at 133, but certainly doesn't have the ceiling that Gomez does. Also not sure if Gomez has the ceiling at 141 that he did at 133, but maybe he will be more active with less weight to cut. Will be interesting for sure.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
If Gomez is at 141, that does have to change the outlook a bit. It doesn’t change much from a dual perspective, but NCAAs it does.

I see Gomez as a solid bet to AA at 33, but not as confident at 41. But, I do think he probably is better than Parker.

With this weight change, I feel good about 3 AAs for ISU (49, 57, 84). A couple more are on the cusp and could breakthrough (25 and 41).

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Does Gomez to 141 have any ripple effect in our lineup bumping everyone up a weight? I have a hard time leaving Parker out of the lineup knowing the potential he has... think of wins in his career (Demas, Heil, Desanto, Murin, Brock), but not sure if he could compete at 149 effectively. I've always been curious if Degen is pulling a lot of weight for 149 and of course Carr was Junior world champ at 74kg (163lbs) so he wouldn't be massively undersized at what is probably his long term weight.

Also, is Gomez eligible for and Olympic redshirt? I know there was rumors about him going for Mexico and if so I would assume he'd go 65kg and 141lb would make a lot of sense in that situation.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Does Gomez to 141 have any ripple effect in our lineup bumping everyone up a weight? I have a hard time leaving Parker out of the lineup knowing the potential he has... think of wins in his career (Demas, Heil, Desanto, Murin, Brock), but not sure if he could compete at 149 effectively. I've always been curious if Degen is pulling a lot of weight for 149 and of course Carr was Junior world champ at 74kg (163lbs) so he wouldn't be massively undersized at what is probably his long term weight.

Also, is Gomez eligible for and Olympic redshirt? I know there was rumors about him going for Mexico and if so I would assume he'd go 65kg and 141lb would make a lot of sense in that situation.

I don’t think it will change the plan for 149 & up if true.

Parker & Gomez will battle for 141 & Small & Ramazan will battle for 133

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
There's no chance Parker goes back down to 133, is there? He was there until Storr transferred out.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I’m not liking that if true. He should have been adding muscle all summer if he was going to move up. The video interviews were him talking about weight management and staying under control for a full season. Didn’t sound like someone that was moving up.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I believe Gomez is still planning to go 133 but may not be there at the start of the season.
Good Cyclones need him at 133. I agree with @Boxer007 that if he plans to move up to 141 at some point he needs to be adding muscle and not just moving up because he can't manage the cut.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
Sounds like Echemendia was impressive in Iowa City. Willie thinks he’s AA good.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Sounds like Echemendia was impressive in Iowa City. Willie thinks he’s AA good.
He thinks he could be an AA this year at 141 if he wrestles second semester, which he thinks will happen. Not sure if I want that to happen, would rather get 4 full years if possible.

Reactions: Doc

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Don't get me wrong, I really like watching Ian wrestle and he is a hard nosed guy, but his ceiling is probably R12. More likely (as stated in my expectations above) a 1-2 win guy at NCAAs. If Echemendia is a very good AA candidate, and he is eligible I think you let the best man wrestle. I will stick with my hot take and say Echemendia will be the guy at 141 if he is eligible by the end of the year

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Don't get me wrong, I really like watching Ian wrestle and he is a hard nosed guy, but his ceiling is probably R12. More likely (as stated in my expectations above) a 1-2 win guy at NCAAs. If Echemendia is a very good AA candidate, and he is eligible I think you let the best man wrestle. I will stick with my hot take and say Echemendia will be the guy at 141 if he is eligible by the end of the year
Agreed, and his points could put ISU into position to be a top 10 team.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I’m an ideal world I’d prefer they allow AE the second semester to get acclimated to college, folk style etc. I too think he can be an AA probably as early as this year. That said, he’s come a long way in such a short time. Let’s let him get his bearings a bit and start fresh next year with Reeves potentially I’m the lineup.

We are years away from competing for a trophy so let’s maximize the situation as best we can.