Marathon Runners Thread

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If your son is 12 by November 23rd you guys should do the Living History Farms Cross Country race. It’s a 10k but you go through creeks and mud and fields.

At one point it was the largest cross country race in the United States. I like it because it’s a good mix of “off road” cross country without any of the wall climbing or boulder rolling stuff you see in those cross fit / spartan race things.
Is that always the Saturday before Thanksgiving or the 4th Saturday of November? We are generally in DSM for Thanksgiving...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Doesn't matter this year but FYI, LHF run involves a lot of standing and waiting for people so you really don't run the whole 10k unless you bolt out the front at the start. My son has ran it every year since he was 12 (he's 17 now) except one year when he was sick.
I'm not sure I will be running it if it is that crowded. I ran the Reindeer Run around Lake Harriet up here one year. It is mid December and we mercifully got 4-6 inches of snow the night before the race. Why was I glad we got snow? It is such a full field that you can't pass anyone on the road. The snow discouraged people from running out on the occasional parking lanes so I could run out there and pick off a hundred or so runners and then get back in the pack when the parking lane was gone. I'm not a big fan of races with so much traffic that you can't run.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Since I am old as dirt I now live my running life vicariously. My niece, who used to watch me run the Bix 7 in a previous lifetime, just logged a 3:28 marathon over the weekend which hits her Boston qualification goal. :)
This reminded me of:
far%20side%20chemistry.gif

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY
D

Deleted member 8507

First one: Don't do back-to-back weeks. Take a couple weeks to recover.
3 days complete rest, followed by short, slow easy runs for 3 days then no long/pace runs until 15 days after. General rule is one day of easy workouts for each mile of race ran hard. If you push the entire 26 miles you should take 3 weeks of easy afterward.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Question for those who have ran Des Moines:

how difficult are the hills miles 2-8?

I’ve done Des Moines Half so I’m familiar with the water works - grays lake part of the course and I’ve also done the drake relays half marathon. Are the hills at Des Moines similar to drake?
BB44682D-CF9A-46CD-B849-BBAFE95F0FE0.jpeg

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines

I’ve done Des Moines Half so I’m familiar with the water works - grays lake part of the course and I’ve also done the drake relays half marathon. Are the hills at Des Moines similar to drake?
View attachment 67314

I've never done the Des Moines full, but the Drake Relays Half as always been an underrated hard course IMO. The hills in the Drake half are brutal.

• Agree
Reactions: Ozclone and Messi

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

View attachment 67314
As you can see, there's the long gradual one early, then some short, steep ones. The good thing about DM is they are all in the first half. I love that course and have run my top 2 times there (out of 15).

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

View attachment 67314

Not very bad at all. A couple of them wind a little, so you hardly notice.
The year I ran it, someone was playing the original Rocky theme from their driveway at the top of the hill. That helps more than it probably should.

So, they really aren't bad. I was used to NW Iowa hills at that point, though.

• Funny
Reactions: Messi and Bigman38

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not a marathoner but regular runner...anyone have any useful tips on extensor tendinitis on the feet? Had some issues lately and it's not clearing up. Had a calf strain back in September that's still healing so I'm sure it's connected.

Should probably just get PT but it tends to go away for a bit so it's not totally chronic.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I'm not a marathoner but regular runner...anyone have any useful tips on extensor tendinitis on the feet? Had some issues lately and it's not clearing up. Had a calf strain back in September that's still healing so I'm sure it's connected.

Should probably just get PT but it tends to go away for a bit so it's not totally chronic.

Is that the tendon that’s in the arches of your feet?

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
It could be the onset of Plantar Fasciitis. I was a very capable runner and athlete until that entered my life 5 years ago. I tried to treat it on my own for a year, but finally went to a foot doctor for diagnosis and inserts. I was not a stretcher before, but Yoga has really helped along with ice treatment and rolling it on a lacrosse ball.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It could be the onset of Plantar Fasciitis. I was a very capable runner and athlete until that entered my life 5 years ago. I tried to treat it on my own for a year, but finally went to a foot doctor for diagnosis and inserts. I was not a stretcher before, but Yoga has really helped along with ice treatment and rolling it on a lacrosse ball.

Yeah I roll with a tennis ball under the foot (that actually affect the knees, hips etc.) but this is top of the foot. I've had it before but this is lingering.

Side note a tennis ball or lacrosse ball or similar is possibly the best thing for rolling out tight areas. I get way more from that than a foam roller.