MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
How about Heyward retires and becomes manager? Solves multiple problems, his contract can come off the books but we can just pay him the same amount but without it applying to the salary cap. And he can just give pregame speeches every game.

• Funny
Reactions: GT25Ump

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Also I’m not blasting Maddon for that - one of the most admirable things I think about him is that he really never gave up on any of his guys. It just seemed like this year it didn’t always work out for him.

It's ideal for a young team, especially one facing the kind of pressure the Cubs were until the end of the World Series. It's less productive once the team is more veteran-laden and has already been to the mountaintop.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Kaplan on 1460 just said he doesn’t think the below are back.

Russell
Almora
Bryant
Castellanos
Hamels
Quintana
Cishek
Strop
Morrow

He also said he thinks if the right offer came, they would move Javy.

• Funny
Reactions: CyPunch

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Moving Javy would be an absolute PR nightmare. I don't see anyway that happens.

The rest of the list, I completely agree though they're going to have to get one hell of a deal to move Bryant. (cough, Angels, cough)

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Russell
Almora
Bryant
Castellanos
Hamels
Quintana
Cishek
Strop
Morrow

Have to take Kaplan with a grain of salt sometimes. He will exaggerate for the sake of stirring the pot and making headlines. I heard part of his interview and he pretty much said the Cubs would be stupid to hire anyone but Girardi. He's not my first choice for manager but I'd probably be OK with it. As for that list I still don't see how they turn down Quintana's reasonably priced club option with already losing Hamels and Lester starting to show his age. That would be 2 big spots in the rotation to fill with a 3rd on the decline. Not sure you fill his spot with an upgrade without paying significantly more in salary and years. The others are all obvious guys that have a possibility of not being back. There are already rumors about shopping Bryant and Castellanos will likely be too expensive to resign, especially if you keep Schwarber as the OF defense would be horrible.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
No way Javy goes anywhere. Bryant will be gone this offseason or by the all star break. Was in Chicago and Milwaukee recently watching the Cubs and rumors are that Bryant wont change his swing or listen to the hitting coaches. Remember, his dad is the one that honed that swing and remains the one who "fixes" it. Bryant also is a Boras client with an MVP under his belt so he will come with a huge price tag. Might as well unload while he has control and get a haul.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'd have punched you in the head if you seriously talked about trading Bryant a year ago, but I'm on board. His numbers have dropped and his injuries have increased. He wont be worth the big contract he commands so ship him off while you can.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Kappy jumped the shark with me, as someone said above, he pretty much just likes to stir the pot these days.

He's gone pretty hard after the Cubs since he decided to re-sign with NBC Sports Chicago instead of going with them to the Marquee Network.

Still not sure what he's going to do for them without the Cubs other than host that horrifically awful Sports Talk Live show.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So let's get everyone's thoughts on next year's roster...

Catcher: Have some depth here but I would guess they stick with the Contreras/Caratini duo unless they get a good offer for either this offseason
1B: Rizzo, nuff said
2B: this could be an opportunity for an upgrade here My guess is they go with a platoon of Happ and others here
SS: Javy, nuff said
3B: See if you can snag a haul of talent for Bryant and go after Rendon in free agency. Even if Bryant stays would not be against still going after Rendon and moving Bryant to a corner OF spot
OF: Basically wide open at this point besides Heyward who they are just stuck with because of his contract. I would not shed tears to see any of them cut or traded and that includes Schwarber. I doubt they will be able to afford Castellanos

SP: Hendricks, Darvish, and Lester are a given to return and I think they pick up the option on Quintana. Would like to see them sign one of the top tier guys but my guess is they go cheap and sign someone that can eat innings and open up that 5th spot for competition with Mills, Chatwood, and possibly Graveman in the mix.
RP: Only guys with guaranteed contracts are Chatwood and Kimbrel. They probably will pick up Phelps $1mil team option and obviously say goodbye to Morrow. I think all UFA's Cishek, Strop, Cedeno, and probably Kintzler all will be gone too. Ryan, Wick, Maples, Mills, Underwood, Wieck, all are under team control. I think most if not all will be retained with many of them headed to Iowa to start the season as depth. Liked what we saw from Hultzen but not sure what his contract situation is. There probably is going to be some money spent on some quality proven relievers with all the payroll coming off the books and the rest of the spots filled in by who does well in spring training.

At this point the only guys I think you can't trade are Javy, Rizzo. Darvish and Heyward won't get traded because of their contracts, Hendricks is going nowhere and neither will Lester at his age and $20 mil for next year and a $10 mil buyout for 2021 plus a full no trade clause. His 2021 has a vested option $25 mil he may not hit now. It would vest if he pitches 200 innings in 2020 or 400 between 19-20 and he only got in 171.2 in 19 so basically Cubs will probably make sure he doesn't get to that 200 inning mark if he looks bad down the stretch again so they have options with him if he comes back another season.

• Informative
Reactions: Die4Cy

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
No way Javy goes anywhere. Bryant will be gone this offseason or by the all star break. Was in Chicago and Milwaukee recently watching the Cubs and rumors are that Bryant wont change his swing or listen to the hitting coaches. Remember, his dad is the one that honed that swing and remains the one who "fixes" it. Bryant also is a Boras client with an MVP under his belt so he will come with a huge price tag. Might as well unload while he has control and get a haul.

I wonder if there's a bit of skepticism around Javy still. His second half numbers were nothing special, and really no one has ever succeeded with some of the underlying stats that he's had, with that kind of chase rate. He's an amazing athlete and I would hate if the Cubs traded but if they don't feel like his success is sustainable this would definitely be selling high on him. Something they have failed to do in the past.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
It's a minor note, but I've seen a couple people mention picking up David Phelp's $1mil option. Important to note that his option is actually $5mil. It had escalators based on games pitched... 30 games = $3mil, 40 games = $5mil, 50 games = $7mil. Between Toronto/Chicago he appeared in 41 games.

Would be surprised if they picked it up at $5mil

• Informative
Reactions: CYdTracked

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It's a minor note, but I've seen a couple people mention picking up David Phelp's $1mil option. Important to note that his option is actually $5mil. It had escalators based on games pitched... 30 games = $3mil, 40 games = $5mil, 50 games = $7mil. Between Toronto/Chicago he appeared in 41 games.

I think Phelps audition didn't go well on Sunday

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Good info, then chalk me up as probably no then on him. ERA with the Cubs was OK at 3.18 but his WHIP of 1.59 was a little high. Still has a career ERA of 3.86 and WHIP 1.32 which are respectable numbers for a middle reliever. Didn't have a great September walking 9 batters in 8.1 innings for a 4.32 ERA so last impressions of him leave something to be desired.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
@CYdTracked If the Cubs get rid of Schwarber/KB whose Shirsey do you recommend me getting so I can wear it to slow pitch to beat you next year?

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa

Russell
Almora
Bryant
Castellanos
Hamels
Quintana
Cishek
Strop
Morrow

I'm alittle hot & cold on Kaplan at times, but I think he may have hit the lotto on this one. I would only add one name, Schwarber. People are too caught up on what he did the last two months of the season and forgetting what he'd done the previous 2.5 years. He's meant for a DH position.