MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
="

So weird that Theo thinks this been the biggest weakness since multiple people on here have told me the Cubs aren't even trying to develop pitching internally. Chuck better get in touch with Theo and straighten him out with the real truth.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
="

So weird that Theo thinks this been the biggest weakness since multiple people on here have told me the Cubs aren't even trying to develop pitching internally. Chuck better get in touch with Theo and straighten him out with the real truth.

I don't think anyone has said the Cubs strategy is to not develop pitching internally.

I think the argument has always been Theo's focus was on hitting-first.

Via Grantland in 2014:

Rather than accept this attrition as the cost of doing business, the Cubs are trying a different way, which involves two simple principles:

1. Investing a preponderance of their draft-and-development resources on hitting.

2. Taking advantage of the unpredictability of pitchers by acquiring established major league pitchers with upside.

Since 2015, we've had a greater focus on arms.

Considering I haven't heard of 90% of first round draft picks between 2015 and now, I'm not too concerned about our pitching development. I still think we have some great young pitchers coming through the system that should begin to make names for themselves come March.

Reactions: chuckd4735

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Who else is a candidate for the managerial opening besides Ross, Girardi, and Loretta? None of the three listed here do much for me. I think it was time for Joe to move on but it’s going to be really hard to find a person who has the right package like Joe was when he was hired.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Who else is a candidate for the managerial opening besides Ross, Girardi, and Loretta? None of the three listed here do much for me. I think it was time for Joe to move on but it’s going to be really hard to find a person who has the right package like Joe was when he was hired.

Theo said someone still in the playoffs which makes me think Dave Martinez could get a call. Not saying it will be him but the connection is there

• Disagree
Reactions: CyJack13

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Theo said someone still in the playoffs which makes me think Dave Martinez could get a call. Not saying it will be him but the connection is there
If we try to get Davey, wouldn’t that require giving up compensation? Not sure if I really want the team to do that for a guy who’s not a top 5 manager in the majors.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
If we try to get Davey, wouldn’t that require giving up compensation? Not sure if I really want the team to do that for a guy who’s not a top 5 manager in the majors.

Also the Cubs just scapegoated his mentor and it’s not like it’s a significantly better job than the one he has now. I think it’s a bench coach not necessarily a manager that they want to talk to.

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Also the Cubs just scapegoated his mentor and it’s not like it’s a significantly better job than the one he has now. I think it’s a bench coach not necessarily a manager that they want to talk to.
Just read an article that listed Joe Espada as a potential candidate, who’s the bench coach for the Astros. The previous bench coach for Houston won a World Series as a manager in his first year (Alex Cora). Might be worth a shot as he’s also a younger guy.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Just read an article that listed Joe Espada as a potential candidate, who’s the bench coach for the Astros. The previous bench coach for Houston won a World Series as a manager in his first year (Alex Cora). Might be worth a shot as he’s also a younger guy.

I can definitely get behind this. Poaching from the Astros is generally a good idea right now.

Reactions: CyPunch

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Joe Espada - the Astros bench coach you mentioned.
Mark DeRosa as well. His time after his playing career has mostly been spent as a TV analyst with MLB network.

Reactions: JBone84

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
If you want to watch Theo's press conference here it is:

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Mark DeRosa as well. His time after his playing career has mostly been spent as a TV analyst with MLB network.
I love watching DeRo on Morning Central, not sure I want him to manage the team though. Right now Espada would be my preferred choice to be the next manager.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I really do like the idea of Espada. If part of firing Joe was to get a new "voice" in the clubhouse, I don't see how Ross helps. I also think part of what Joe lacked was accountability, and I think Ross may be a little too close to these guys to provide that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I really do like the idea of Espada. If part of firing Joe was to get a new "voice" in the clubhouse, I don't see how Ross helps. I also think part of what Joe lacked as accountability, and I think Ross may be a little too close to these guys to provide that.

I see Espada coached the Puerto Rican team in the 2017 World Baseball Classic. A little connection to Javy there

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I really do like the idea of Espada. If part of firing Joe was to get a new "voice" in the clubhouse, I don't see how Ross helps. I also think part of what Joe lacked was accountability, and I think Ross may be a little too close to these guys to provide that.

Ross had zero interest in the bench job last year but wanted to remain in a front office role.

Cubs reached their peak in their stretch when he was the leader of the clubhouse in 2016

His voice is no longer in the clubhouse.

If Ross is the man, I would guess it shows we don’t see a ton of roster turnover.

When playing with Ross, KB and Rizzo both said things along the lines with how they loved Ross but knew never to screw up because he would rip your head off.

Tis better to be feared than loved, but what if you can have both?

Maddon was loved in the clubhouse but you could screw up all you wanted and be fine.

Reactions: psychlone99

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Also I’m not blasting Maddon for that - one of the most admirable things I think about him is that he really never gave up on any of his guys. It just seemed like this year it didn’t always work out for him.