California legalizes college athlete endorsements

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
So does this legalize what Adidas was doing?
Umm... It's hard to say. I'd like to think not, mainly due to how tight Adidas was with the coaches. That part is still not kosher here, that's more or less construed as working with/through the school to facilitate it all.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
There are many schools out there with donors chomping at the bit to pay high end talent to come to their schools, unfortunately ISU doesn't have donors capable ($$) of that.

Yep, the real thing this does is move bagmen above board. But also make them a lot more common since instead of being a risky thing for the athlete it's totally legit. People focusing on the handful of athletes that would get legitimate endorsement deals are missing the forest for the trees. The real impact of this will be big money donors paying recruits in exchange for them signing a napkin. And it won't just be the five star guys, they'll be the ones getting big money, but it'll impact the lower level recruits and non premier sports as well.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Except the scholarship still has value. You're telling me that you think a star player is going to be fine being a walk on, and not be given the respect of being on scholarship, like the rest of their teammates? A player good enough to get endorsement deals of the significance you're talking about, is going to be able to go to other schools and get the same money AND a scholarship. You're describing a problem that just isn't going to happen.

Not one single player in the country is going to give a **** if they're "on scholarship" if they're getting the same amount or more directly from donors.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yep, the real thing this does is move bagmen above board. But also make them a lot more common since instead of being a risky thing for the athlete it's totally legit. People focusing on the handful of athletes that would get legitimate endorsement deals are missing the forest for the trees. The real impact of this will be big money donors paying recruits in exchange for them signing a napkin. And it won't just be the five star guys, they'll be the ones getting big money, but it'll impact the lower level recruits and non premier sports as well.
Agreed...BUT...all things being equal do things change? There have always been more bag men at Auburn than Minnesota. What's the difference?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Umm... It's hard to say. I'd like to think not, mainly due to how tight Adidas was with the coaches. That part is still not kosher here, that's more or less construed as working with/through the school to facilitate it all.
Yeah, but the shoe companies definitely still steer players to certain schools through AAU programs. This will just bring it out of the dark and completely legitimize it. You go to Duke and Nike is going to guarantee you a shoe contract. Coaches don't need any involvement at all.

This is also going to give boosters who own businesses a legitimate means to pay players. Come to Alabama and Bob's Trucks is going to pay you a bunch of money to shoot some commercials. If the player doesn't pan out the commercial airs once at 2 in the morning so they can at least say they used it.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Agreed...BUT...all things being equal do things change? There have always been more bag men at Auburn than Minnesota. What's the difference?

It being legit makes a huge difference IMHO. Right now there's risk involved. Like, I'd never walk up to a player and hand them $100 and even if I did most players would know better than to take it. However, once this goes through? Who knows, maybe after a big game I do just that and as long as I give them a scrap of paper to put their autograph on it's all above board and acceptable.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Yeah, but the shoe companies definitely still steer players to certain schools through AAU programs. This will just bring it out of the dark and completely legitimize it. You go to Duke and Nike is going to guarantee you a shoe contract. Coaches don't need any involvement at all.

This is also going to give boosters who own businesses a legitimate means to pay players. Come to Alabama and Bob's Trucks is going to pay you a bunch of money to shoot some commercials. If the player doesn't pan out the commercial airs once at 2 in the morning so they can at least say they used it.
The first one happens either way, we already know that, and less-visible variations of the second do, too. I still think it's better to bring it to light and make it public knowledge versus keep it all as dark money.

It's not like the current system of hiding it all with no real teeth or power against it whatsoever is "working". Same thing, just less visible.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
To get 1 or 2 stud players maybe. I don't see them forking over thousands of dollars to add like 20-30 players more than the scholarship limit. The really good players, you will give scholarships to anyway, so we're talking about the more marginal players. You think boosters will fork over that money for a random 3 star player?

Yeah. There are very rabid fans/donors associated with other programs. Not to mention if they are a business owner they are 1) helping support the program they cheer for, 2) getting advertising for their business and 2) the money paid is an advertising expense for their business.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It being legit makes a huge difference IMHO. Right now there's risk involved. Like, I'd never walk up to a player and hand them $100 and even if I did most players would know better than to take it. However, once this goes through? Who knows, maybe after a big game I do just that and as long as I give them a scrap of paper to put their autograph on it's all above board and acceptable.
And?
First of all, it's not that risky now. Go read Stephen Godfrey's bagman article. The system has been gamed. There's very little risk if you aren't stupid. But even if you could go hand Brock Purdy a hundred bucks for an autograph, who cares? If people want to pay it, ok. That's capitalism. That doesn't ruin anything about my enjoyment of college football.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The first one happens either way, we already know that, and less-visible variations of the second do, too. I still think it's better to bring it to light and make it public knowledge versus keep it all as dark money.

It's not like the current system of hiding it all with no real teeth or power against it whatsoever is "working". Same thing, just less visible.
I agree it's happening already but no where near to the degree it will. The fact is the top players probably aren't making anywhere near the money under the table they will legitimately. I also think the pool of players getting payed will increase quite a bit.

I'm not necessarily against paying players. I've thought for years it's inevitable. It will be interesting to see the aftermath of it all.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Meh. I'm not sure how many schools are going to want to leave high profile players as walk-ons, as they are free to transfer without sitting out. It would be fairly risky. Not to mention, you'd run the risk of pissing off the player by not offering them a scholarship. Doesn't feel like this would happen often enough for it to really be a concern, and certainly not enough to take us back to the days of no scholarship limits

Not to mention, why the hell would a business concede to using the likeness of a nobody to advertise their business? The car dealership in Tuscaloosa is going to want Tua doing their radio and TV ads; not the 5th string walk-on QB that will never play a down of football for the Tide. Yes, that car dealership will do a lot to help Alabama win, but they still have to run a business, and they're not going to just toss money at someone that won't be beneficial for them.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah. There are very rabid fans/donors associated with other programs. Not to mention if they are a business owner they are 1) helping support the program they cheer for, 2) getting advertising for their business and 2) the money paid is an advertising expense for their business.
They wont be getting much advertising if the recruit they endorse rides the bench his whole career.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

CCCClone

Jun 29, 2018

For sure, doesn't even need to be a commercial, just do a photo shoot, print up some fliers, boom all legit. Pay the player as much as you want.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Do donations go to the high profile athletes and leave the smaller sports and athletes left behind including women?
Furthermore, universities themselves would need to negotiate 'companion' contracts because the athlete 'solely' seeking endorsement, IMO won't carry the weight. Also, the 'showmanship' in college football just climbed the ladder. I can imagine contracts will be tied to W's and L's because their value would drop significantly if they are on teams which can not win. This is going to result in marketing by universities campaigning that they have the highest paid athletes. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is Pandora's box.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Yup. Much like pot in CO. It's legal, but your employer can still fire you for having it in your system.
Living in Colorado, I had a co-worker ask about that when our division was sold to a company from Arizona. It was for medicinal purposes.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
And?
First of all, it's not that risky now. Go read Stephen Godfrey's bagman article. The system has been gamed. There's very little risk if you aren't stupid. But even if you could go hand Brock Purdy a hundred bucks for an autograph, who cares? If people want to pay it, ok. That's capitalism. That doesn't ruin anything about my enjoyment of college football.
I'm a big fan of capitalism, but in this case it won't work. Take, for instance the entity of college football as a whole. Without some form of parity, it fails. The ESPN contracts will fall apart without the interest of the lower 90% of the teams. The only way I see this succeeding is if the NCAA restricts the number of likeness contracts per team. And 'easing' into this free enterprise ideal over several years.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
My friend (very high up in a P5 conference front office) feels this is a terrible idea. I hope you guys who want to know 'how high' can understand the need for anonymity. P5 conferences covering multiple states will have their own juggling to do over this matter to maintain the integrity of their conference. Imagine the political landscape when it comes to realignment. Wow! Where is this going?

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Funds from who? Again, this isn't the school paying for these endorsements. How is the swimming budget affected by Brock Purdy getting an endorsement deal from, say, Jethro's?

Because the schools will manipulate the external endorsements just as they do now.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Not to mention, why the hell would a business concede to using the likeness of a nobody to advertise their business? The car dealership in Tuscaloosa is going to want Tua doing their radio and TV ads; not the 5th string walk-on QB that will never play a down of football for the Tide. Yes, that car dealership will do a lot to help Alabama win, but they still have to run a business, and they're not going to just toss money at someone that won't be beneficial for them.
GrappleCy alluded to this in his post and not to put words in his mouth but it goes like this...bag men will funnel money through that Tuscaloosa dealership (and whatever else) to indeed pay many more kids than just Tua. Think like an SEC bag man; you could easily find room in your car commercials for all 22 starters and more. It will all just be a way to wash dirty money that buys players.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron