MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Not convinced this is a good move.
Maybe let the guy manage his way and provide him everything he needs instead, but too late for that.

I guess we will see what the front office does next. I agree this could be an ironic move, especially if the front office blows this team up and goes young. Joe would probably get more out of a team like that than most managers would. But probably not worth the $6 million or whatever Joe gets for a team that won't be in contention.

I imagine Theo is going to try and trade a couple key pieces and try and renovate this team on the fly without going for the full rebuild. You know, like all the Tribune owned teams did.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Rizzo with a lot of great words. Says he's going to back whoever the next manager is but Joe is like a father figure to him - says Jon Lester is not a Cub at the end of 2014 if Joe is not the manager. If Lester isn't a Cub, Ross isn't a Cub.

Joe also told the team he is leaving on his own terms - so my guess is the FO offered him the chance to come back but also told him they'd be lowering his salary significantly and making more of the roster moves without Joe's thoughts.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Not a huge Jesse Rogers guy, but he posts some good content, including this piece.

Maddon's dismissal from the Cubs boils down to one sentence: He wasn't able to outmanage the mistakes the front office saddled him with.

The cumulative losses of edgy leaders such as David Ross, Miguel Montero and John Lackey began to affect the clubhouse. Left in their place was a group of good leaders by example but not necessarily the type to get in a player's face.

And neither was Maddon.

"When you make a lot of errors in the field, when you make a lot of errors in the baserunning, that's momentum," pitcher Cole Hamels stated. "That's an area that could get corrected. There's still a lot of players in here that are still learning."

I think that's pretty fair

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Baez: If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have been myself out there. I would've had so many rules I would've had to follow from another manager.

Those rules probably are a huge reason he isn't going to be a Cub next year.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
As a Cards fan, this is a stupid move by the Cubs, think about it, you just fired the only manger that has won a Cubs world series in over 100 years.

Quality manager and you let him walk, stupid idea. Good luck with that one.

Well it’s a good thing the Cubs organization doesn’t take input from a Cardinals fan

• Winner
Reactions: chuckd4735

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Baez: If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have been myself out there. I would've had so many rules I would've had to follow from another manager.

Those rules probably are a huge reason he isn't going to be a Cub next year.

And the Cubs are going to roll with....who, exactly, at shortstop?

Baez needed a manager like Maddon to foster his development into the kind of player he can be. Now that he is that player, having a manager like Maddon isn't so important.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
As a Cards fan, this is a stupid move by the Cubs, think about it, you just fired the only manger that has won a Cubs world series in over 100 years.

Quality manager and you let him walk, stupid idea. Good luck with that one.

DIdn't technically fire him but yes we ran off the best manager we've ever had. One who will have a line of teams trying to hire him this offseason. But hey we'll get a guy who can turn in Theo's line up cards now.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
And the Cubs are going to roll with....who, exactly, at shortstop?

Baez needed a manager like Maddon to foster his development into the kind of player he can be. Now that he is that player, having a manager like Maddon isn't so important.

“he” as in Maddon, not Baez

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Well it’s a good thing the Cubs organization doesn’t take input from a Cardinals fan

Ya, I guess, I have just been watching the Cards celebrate winning the National League Central, and the Cubs will be enjoying their offseason, looking for a new manager.

Cubs 3 World Series Wins, Cardinals 11 World Series Wins.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Ya, I guess, I have just been watching the Cards celebrate winning the National League Central, and the Cubs will be enjoying their offseason, looking for a new manager.

Cubs 3 World Series Wins, Cardinals 11 World Series Wins.

Oh damn. Didn’t see that last zinger coming from a Cardinal fan. Super original. Damn.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneinWDSM

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Always will have a soft spot for Joe because of 2016. I thought after after bringing a World Series Championship to Chicago he'd be revered like Ditka and he still may be possibly. By far the most fun Cubs season I have ever watched and I wound up staying up late for a lot of games that year. Since then seems like the have just gone stagnant and that's not all Joe's fault but partially is because it's his and his staff's job to put those young guys on the roster in spots to succeed and given how some of those guys fell off a cliff production wise or just never built on their success is on him too.

I wish this could have ended differently for him but given the roster right now and any anticipated moves the front office makes this winter what good is offering Joe a 1 year deal to see if things turn around? I'm guessing he isn't interested in a 1 or 2 year deal either, just like players he's looking at his next contract as possibly his last one given his age. If the front office is committed to doing a "renovation" of this roster by making some aggressive trades and free agent signings this off-season then a new voice in the dugout may help turn the narrative too.

Who that manager will be will be telling. There will be some experienced guys out there choose from too. I know some are skeptical of Ross because of his lack of managerial experience and how tight he is with some of the players on the roster. Personally he's my choice at the moment because I think former catchers make great managers as they pretty much manage a game from behind the plate their entire playing careers. He's got a little bit of Joe in him personality wise too and I don't see his relationship with the guys he played with a negative because I think they respected him as a mentor when they played with him and would respect him as a manager too.

The front office has a big task at hand on fixing this roster too. We keep hearing how this offense is "broke" but they have not done anything in at least 2 seasons now to fix it. Castellanos was a good start to that but was too little too late. I'd be shocked if they can afford to resign him given his is a Boras client and boosted his value after the trade. If they are able to sign him then you have to cash in on Schwarber because you can't have 2 bad gloves out there in the OF. I would still entertain trading Schwarber now if an AL team will give you something of value for him. Just don't think he has longevity as an OF in the NL and he's basically Adam Dunn at his best right now. I don't think they will be able to move Heyward without eating a ton of money so the smart move is to keep him in RF and upgrade in CF and LF. 2B is another place you could improve at or if they go after Rendon and don't trade Bryant you move Bryant to LF which actually many thought is where he would wind up eventually anyways. Not going to get into detail about the pitching right now, the obvious is going to be a 5th starter and a complete rebuild of the bullpen.