122 degrees on ISU sidelines vs 94 degrees on Baylor’s

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Exactly, I was just disagreeing with the southern people that their heat doesn’t suck.
I spent my first five years in TX, and most of my summers visiting my grandfather's ranch there after we moved north.

Texas heat abso****inglutely SUCKS.

:oops:

Last edited:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I spent my first five years in TX, and most of my summers visiting my grandfather's ranch there after we moved north.

Texas heat absofuckinglutely SUCKS.
Heck. I was in Austin and San Antonio in mid December 3 years ago and that was almost uncomfortable. It was 80 a couple of the days.

• Funny
Reactions: baylrballa

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
So, what would happen if players decide not to play until safe sideline conditions are attained? I'm somewhat curious because there are safer alternatives available but either not approved or not done. Games are delayed for lightning, at what temperature do sidelines become dangerous enough to delay the game?

What's the worst that the NCAA/big 12 could do? Penalized the team with personal fouls? Fine the AD? Cause a forfiet of the game? None of those seem like defensible penalties in situations where safety is a legit concern. I'm sure tv companies would kill the league for not playing a game in the event of a forfiet. Delay the game until evening and ensure player safety or even make both teams share a sideline.

I'm kinda intrigued by the what-if of this.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
So, what would happen if players decide not to play until safe sideline conditions are attained? I'm somewhat curious because there are safer alternatives available but either not approved or not done. Games are delayed for lightning, at what temperature do sidelines become dangerous enough to delay the game?

What's the worst that the NCAA/big 12 could do? Penalized the team with personal fouls? Fine the AD? Cause a forfiet of the game? None of those seem like defensible penalties in situations where safety is a legit concern. I'm sure tv companies would kill the league for not playing a game in the event of a forfiet. Delay the game until evening and ensure player safety or even make both teams share a sideline.

That seems ... rather sensible.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Everyone just living their lives can have whatever opinion they like in the hot vs cold debate. But In terms of sports, heat is much preferable to cold. Especially a sport where hands being in contact with a ball is the major aspect of the game.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Everyone just living their lives can have whatever opinion they like in the hot vs cold debate. But In terms of sports, heat is much preferable to cold. Especially a sport where hands being in contact with a ball is the major aspect of the game.

There have been 30 college football players die in heat-related incidents from 2000-2018. I am unaware of any cold-related deaths.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
I might be in the minority but I'd call that home field advantage. If Baylor didn't want tents then the away team shouldn't have tents. The same as ISU changes sides of the field a couple years ago.

So I guess if ISU doesn't want coats and heaters on cold games then their opposition shouldn't have them either. Home field advantage, right?

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

I've dealt with both ends of the spectrum. Each suck. But they dont need to. Baylor players were allowed access to heaters last fall, our players should have been allowed access to shade in Texas. For a sport that continually preaches "player safety", denying players access to safety is a horrible look. But then again that's nothing new for the NCAA.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Exactly, and when you go outside you just have to put on layers. In extreme heat I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t end well walking around naked. Even then, when it gets too hot that still isn’t enough.
It's actually better to cover every inch of your body. Florida is brutal, but if you look at the landscape guys, they don't have an inch of skin showing. The sun is way worse than the heat.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman and g4ce

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It isn't an issue of not being able to have tents, it is a matter of getting them approved in advance. I would love to know the protocol requirements. And how often this has happened to the visiting team when they play Baylor.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I would think some change is needed at the Big 12 level. For a day with temps over 95, tents, shade, cooling equipment should be standard equipment for both teams, provided by the league or the home team via direction of the league. If a player is seriously injured, does the visiting team have to bring their own stretcher and gator that's "pre-approved" to get them off the field?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa

hell it wasn't that long ago we delayed the UNI game because of heat advisories here and that was for low 90's with just over 100 heat index if I remember right.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron