Hilton Madness and secret scrimmage?

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
I remember seeing something about a secret scrimmage mid October, but nothing about Hilton Madness. Anyone know when each is?

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I liked the idea of Hilton Madness, but I'm fine if it sunsets. We don't put nearly the production into as some of the other schools. Now that the football program has the fan base fired up, just use home games as the recruiting events and don't try to force it with Hilton Madness.

I will say it is a good family event though. It just doesn't get to the frenzied feel that people wanted.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Hope they air that on Twitter or cytv like they did Hilton Madness.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Who planned the time of this event, that's a terrible time of day to get any kind of fan interaction outside of the students. I always liked taking my son to Hilton Madness, but we're in Johnston, so to go to this event I'd need to pull him out of school early and take half the afternoon off work.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly disappointed assuming this means no Hilton Madness.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
From my understanding, Hilton Madness was a Fred thing that he wanted to see built up into something big like what they do at Kansas or Kentucky like eventually having celebrities show up. Ultimately that plan either died out because they didn't see it feasible or it died when Fred left.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
From my understanding, Hilton Madness was a Fred thing that he wanted to see built up into something big like what they do at Kansas or Kentucky like eventually having celebrities show up. Ultimately that plan either died out because they didn't see it feasible or it died when Fred left.

hahahahaha

sorry I can't stop laughing at that

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Minnesota is projected as #84 overall and #12 in the Big Ten next year on BT.

We should handle them pretty easily if we are to be as good as we hope we will be.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006

blah! im sick of celebrities like eric church. win in the dark
prohms our man im on the bandwagon

• Funny
Reactions: cdface

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
No Hilton Madness.

No exhibition games.

No chance to see the team before the season starts.

I love being in Hilton so that’s disappointing but I understand it. Team has to do what they feel is the best for the team.

I’ve tweeted at CycloneMBB to hold an open practice for like 5 years now and they finally do it but they do it right on a day where I have to be in a wedding which sucks.

November 5th can’t get here soon enough. Can’t wait for the season.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Minnesota is projected as #84 overall and #12 in the Big Ten next year on BT.

We should handle them pretty easily if we are to be as good as we hope we will be.

Seems like Little Pit is following the Fran model- one somewhat decent year among 2-3 years of obscurity.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Seems like Little Pit is following the Fran model- one somewhat decent year among 2-3 years of obscurity.

Looking them over, they strike me as a poor man's version of Ohio State from last year...

-- better on defense than on offense, which can be offensive sometimes
-- built around a 6'10" 225 rim protector Daniel Oturu... in a similar manner to Kaleb Wesson or "good" Lard, he is a high-energy, crafty post who can block shots
-- guard play is meh, looks like they slow it down a little (#190 in tempo last year, ISU was #166 oddly enough for a 4/1 team and Ohio State was #276 yikes that is slow)

I will be curious to see how our big men do defending Oturu. Assuming you can minimize him, they like they have limited scoring options elsewhere. Gabe Kalscheur shot 41% from three last year, so siccing Haliburton or Nixon on him would be another fun test.

Warning Hot Take: Hilton Madness kind of sucked. (duck and runs)

That is like a 2/10 on the hotness scale. I do not think it has many strong defenders.

Elbows too pointy.

Reactions: bawbie

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Warning Hot Take: Hilton Madness kind of sucked. (duck and runs)
Hilton Madness was incredibly bland and for a promotional event, that’s not worth continuing.
Only few places in CBB annually have annual hysteria needed for a annual Madness event.

There’s so little substance that even these programs rely on external draws like celebrities, and from it being a tradition rooted in a time when these opening practices were the first chance to become familiar with the new team. Before message boards, summer league, YouTube videos of recruits, 24/7 365 day coverage and access.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
hahahahaha

sorry I can't stop laughing at that
I mean, Nebraska has a Rick Ross concert after their “midnight madness” event this fall. If Iowa State wanted to invest in this type event, they could’ve pulled something like this off. But unlike Nebraska, Iowa State doesn’t need celebrities to get fans excited about basketball.