Time for KXNO to cut ties with the Register

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Caller on morning rush ended his call with a profanity which they dumped but it went out over the iheart app which I was listening to. He said the Register can go **** itself. The dumped version is on their podcast. Glad I was listening live over the app.

Last edited:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The problem with the Rag, is it doesn't know who its readers are. Central Iowa is Iowa St. The Rag wants to be the STATE paper, but people in CR/IC have the Gazette, people in the east have the Davenport Paper and the QC Times, and those in the west the Dubuque paper.

Randy Pete at it again blasting ISU in more ways that one in his latest column saying ISU has crowd control issues and Pollard is victim blaming. The man is a constant antagonist to our AD and coaches.

DBQ moved to the west side of Iowa now?

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Where did this post go so that I can hammer this with a disagree? Did IlliniCy pull a Calvin?

Here you go. Disagree away.

The KXNO relationship includes both Iowa State and Iowa focused programming. Cut the Rag, cut both shows.

The idea of pulling the Rag's credentials is, how do I say this diplomatically? Stupid.

Oh, and I think "pulling a Calvin" should become a thing.:)

• Funny
Reactions: Rods79

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm not a Randy Peterson hater, but this morning's DM Register article (and last night's KXNO show) comments pulled my trigger, so I actually wrote an email to him.

He wrote, “But if Iowa State and Iowa officials are waiting for that domino to fall before discussing ways to improve what should be a wonderful Cy-Hawk experience, then they’re wrong.”

This is so bad, especially on the heels of a press conference in which Pollard and ISU Police Chief Newton talked about all the things they are doing since being made aware of the alleged incidents, but also including weekly, seasonal, and annual reviews of everything that goes on.

There is so much else that he could have been written that was not inflammatory:

· Write about the fans who actually got out of the band’s way or those who helped the band in a troubled situation and were thanked by the HMB members.

· Commend the administration and police for the hard work, great plans, and fine implementation that resulted in 99.9% of the day going smoothly, even with the tremendously unusual circumstances of ESPN Gameday and the lightning storms.

· Point the finger (and investigate to find out who actually made the decision) to lead the band into the crowded situation. From what I see on the video, it wasn’t even band leadership who made the decision, but the first set of band members just heading for the wrong gate as the drum major runs to catch up with them.

· Dig a little deeper into the fact that some alleged victims did report things to the UI administration, but they were the ones who apparently failed to take proper next steps.

· Explain how the things President Harreld demanded in his video interview are already done before and after each Cy-Hawk game.

Randy may be making himself feel good as an advocate for the alleged victims, but he is really doing his part, albeit smaller than ever, to make things worse.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Oh, and somebody needs to sit in Randy's chair next week at the presser, just to make a statement.:)
Have you noticed his body language at the coaches press conference when he has the mic?

Last edited:

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Damn right it doesn't. This was a 16 year old kid tweeting something from a comedy show. He's a 24 year old man doing amazing things for his community. This is a damn shame how this played out.
The Register even said that Carson was sincere and apologized for tweeting that. So why even add it to the article? It is not related to what he is doing with his donations to the hospital. Whatever happened to forgiveness and the fact that people change? The DMR only cares about creating drama like most news outlets and Anheiser Busch just plain has no backbone.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
A caller on KXNO this morning called out how hypocritical the DMR is and how they just swept Tommy Birch's little "solicitation" under the rug... Heather's tone got super defensive because she is friends with Birch but I was surprised she kept herself in check.

With that being said that one moment didn't define Tommy and this sure as hell doesn't define Carson.

I heard that too (her subtle, yet noted tone of the comment).

I see several folks commenting on KXNO/Register relationships...and the overlap of shows, "journalists," friendships, etc seems to always create a bit of "take care of your own" type of feel. I saw Fales pretty publically being frustrated with the story this AM on his twitter, but wonder if by his radio show it's more measured and more of the "lots of good people at the Register, this was a bad call" type of statement. It's also pretty easy to sometimes see via social media the friendships amongst the media folks in great DM area and imagine there is influence on content.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The problem with the Rag, is it doesn't know who its readers are. Central Iowa is Iowa St. The Rag wants to be the STATE paper, but people in CR/IC have the Gazette, people in the east have the Davenport Paper and the QC Times, and those in the west the Dubuque paper.

Randy Pete at it again blasting ISU in more ways that one in his latest column saying ISU has crowd control issues and Pollard is victim blaming. The man is a constant antagonist to our AD and coaches.

Those poor Western Iowans won't read about anything that happens after 7:00 pm the previous day. That must suck. ;)

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

The KXNO relationship includes both Iowa State and Iowa focused programming. Cut the Rag, cut both shows.

The idea of pulling the Rag's credentials is, how do I say this diplomatically? Stupid.

Fair enough, you owned up to it. I have a different opinion since generally those passes are issued as a privilege, and until their newsroom demonstrates renewed control and integrity, they have every right to treat them similar to a fringe media outlet.

Thinking about it now, it’s probably just better to not answer antagonistic questions from their reporters, but that’s not going to happen...we’re all too nice and accommodating.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Most of the programming on
Have you noticed his body language at the coaches press conference when he has the mic?
Yes, it's the same body language I see at work when the dumbasses start talking in meetings.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I heard that too (her subtle, yet noted tone of the comment).

I see several folks commenting on KXNO/Register relationships...and the overlap of shows, "journalists," friendships, etc seems to always create a bit of "take care of your own" type of feel. I saw Fales pretty publically being frustrated with the story this AM on his twitter, but wonder if by his radio show it's more measured and more of the "lots of good people at the Register, this was a bad call" type of statement. It's also pretty easy to sometimes see via social media the friendships amongst the media folks in great DM area and imagine there is influence on content.

Travis Justice didn't hold back any this morning and neither did Heather. You could tell that comment really bothered her though but at least she bit her tongue.

Reactions: CapnCy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Is that kind of like getting Munsoned?

Reactions: irish

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I've had an online subscription to the Register for some time, but hardly use it. Seemed like a good time to cancel. More difficult to get rid of than I thought. You have to either call or talk in a chat box.

If you tell them Carson King is the reason, they give you a long response to the drama. They then offered to lower my price to $2.99/mo. and then to $1.99/mo. So if you want to keep them I recommend at least negotiating your price down.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Fair enough, you owned up to it. I have a different opinion since generally those passes are issued as a privilege, and until their newsroom demonstrates renewed control and integrity, they have every right to treat them similar to a fringe media outlet.

Thinking about it now, it’s probably just better to not answer antagonistic questions from their reporters, but that’s not going to happen...we’re all too nice and accommodating.
Campbell does such a great job of non-answering Randy's questions and sometimes mocks him so subtly that he doesn't even notice. I'd hate to lose that. :D