Time for KXNO to cut ties with the Register

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I don’t know about KXNO (don’t listen to them anymore), but after all of this, it is time for ISU to at least temporarily suspend the Register’s press credentials for the time being.

I'd be tempted to agree, but whats the old phrase about unlimited ink and paper is cheap?
Cut them off and the DMR could dedicate 10 full time people to digging up crap on ISU and making it look as bad as possible. They don't have much else to do, frankly. There's probably better ways to get them back onside.

Looked it up: "Never argue with a man who buys ink by the barrel."

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wish our coaches and players, would ask, "Who are you with again?" If the reporter says the rag, then players and coaches should go, "next question or hey can we get a background check on this reporter before I answer his question?"

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
CW: Let's welcome the DM Register's Randy Peterson in to talk some Cyclone Football. Randy, what surface-level, uninformed, water is wet statement can you pull out of your ass about this ISU topic that you probably are just finding out about that anyone that cares enough to listen to this show is well aware of and is about 1000x more knowledgeable about than you?
Randy: *Stutters and stammers and rambles for 5 minutes which can essentially be summed up as water is wet if there is even a point to his incoherence at all*

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'd be tempted to agree, but whats the old phrase about unlimited ink and paper is cheap?
Cut them off and the DMR could dedicate 10 full time people to digging up crap on ISU and making it look as bad as possible. They don't have much else to do, frankly. There's probably better ways to get them back onside.

Perhaps for a national paper, but the DMR is fan site. You’re falling for the same outdated business model as the DMR imo.

Back onside? When has that ever been the case? Playing nice hasn’t worked for JP or his predecessors. We need to try the Fry model of not letting them bite the hand that feeds them.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Wish our coaches and players, would ask, "Who are you with again?" If the reporter says the rag, then players and coaches should go, "next question or hey can we get a background check on this reporter before I answer his question?"

I don’t know about that but the Rag beaters need to go to the back of the line at pressers and any other availability. And I wouldn’t blame the players one bit for not talking to them at all. Too risky.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

Well, they have certainly been covering ISU recently in a manner consistent with the poor judgement of the Senior Editor, in a way that has thrown ISU into a negative national spotlight. Now that their novelistic approach to journalism has been exposed and they are now being drug through the national mud...why continue to let them have full access to edit and produce additional stories that serve to bring ISU down? ISU would be right to hold the Register to the same standards they have claimed of protecting their journalistic integrity, which now has been proven to be blindly all for show.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008

The KXNO relationship includes both Iowa State and Iowa focused programming. Cut the Rag, cut both shows.

The idea of pulling the Rag's credentials is, how do I say this diplomatically? Stupid.

L

LincolnWay187

The only ties i have to the DMR is cyclone insider podcast on kxno via the iheartradio app since I am out of state. I'd be down for someone besides randy bo-bandy and tommy on the show.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The only ties i have to the DMR is cyclone insider podcast on kxno via the iheartradio app since I am out of state. I'd be down for someone besides randy bo-bandy and tommy on the show.

Just do what they do all of the time. Play one of the CF podcasts in that slot.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The idea of pulling the Rag's credentials is, how do I say this diplomatically? Stupid.
Completely disagree.
What would be the consequence? Randy write more antagonistic bull ****? ISU athletics aren’t going anywhere. On the other hand, the DMR and all local papers are glorified fan sites.
It worked for Fry and it would work for JP.

Reactions: Rods79

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
A caller on KXNO this morning called out how hypocritical the DMR is and how they just swept Tommy Birch's little "solicitation" under the rug... Heather's tone got super defensive because she is friends with Birch but I was surprised she kept herself in check.

With that being said that one moment didn't define Tommy and this sure as hell doesn't define Carson.
But it does define the Register.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Completely disagree.
What would be the consequence? Randy write more antagonistic bull ****? ISU athletics aren’t going anywhere. On the other hand, the DMR and all local papers are glorified fan sites.
It worked for Fry and it would work for JP.

Where did this post go so that I can hammer this with a disagree? Did IlliniCy pull a Calvin?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Damn right it doesn't. This was a 16 year old kid tweeting something from a comedy show. He's a 24 year old man doing amazing things for his community. This is a damn shame how this played out.

Not so fast my friend...

Has this really played out badly?

1. The children's hospital is still getting a ton of money
2. The Register is learning what karma means
3. ISU fans may be able to upgrade our beer of choice

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
The problem with the Rag, is it doesn't know who its readers are. Central Iowa is Iowa St. The Rag wants to be the STATE paper, but people in CR/IC have the Gazette, people in the east have the Davenport Paper and the QC Times, and those in the west the Dubuque paper.

Randy Pete at it again blasting ISU in more ways that one in his latest column saying ISU has crowd control issues and Pollard is victim blaming. The man is a constant antagonist to our AD and coaches.

Pretty sure Dubuque touches the Mississippi river . . .