Time to cut out our Busch Light love affair

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
National news and hits. Once they fire these people in a public way, in 3 weeks no one will remember this, just like everything else in this world.

What business example from the past can you provide where it upset the vast, vast majority of its customer base and the company somehow came out better in the end?

Just trying to understand your point that this is somehow exactly want the Reggie wanted. I think you are too quickly dismissing the critical nature of subscribers in today's newspaper business model.

If I go through with cancelling my subscription, I'll probably just gravitate to other outlets while enjoying the monthly savings. News sources are a habit....and it can be broken.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
72276467_10215198395973017_4330203164746711040_n.jpg

this is how you handle it. well done Venmo

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I saw that shared on Facebook but don’t see anything on Venmo Twitter. I don’t think it’s legit. Also, even in the year of our Lord 2019, corporations typically don’t release statements via Notes screenshots.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I saw that shared on Facebook but don’t see anything on Venmo Twitter. I don’t think it’s legit. Also, even in the year of our Lord 2019, corporations typically don’t release statements via Notes screenshots.

Well crap. I'll pull it down until its legit

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I have no idea how anyone will be a politician or celebrity when everyone who grew up with Twitter and Snapchat are old enough to be president.

That's a good point. I wonder if we're eventually going to get to a point where either virtually everyone is guilty for things they said when they were kids or we're going to collectively decide that social media history just doesn't really matter anymore except for the truly egregious stuff or if it was posted after an age where one should know better.
Or maybe it's a generational thing where we just happen to be in a period of time when parts of the population had access to social media before they fully understood the long term ramifications of what they put out there. I don't know. All I know is I'm grateful for message board anonymity and that I grew up pre-smartphones and social media.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That's a good point. I wonder if we're eventually going to get to a point where either virtually everyone is guilty or we're going to collectively decide that social media history just doesn't really matter anymore except for the truly egregious stuff or if stuff is posted after an age where one should know better. Or maybe it's a generational thing where we just happen to be in a period of time when parts of the population had access to social media before they fully understood the long term ramifications of what they put out there. I don't know. All I know is I'm grateful for message board anonymity and that I grew up pre-smartphones and social media.

Selfies and retweets and YouTube celebrities. A female politician gets hammered for having danced in a video at one point and it's recorded, other celebrities get caught messing up DMs and sending them out. Kim Kardashian gets busted Photoshopping images to make herself look better. I cannot imagine trying to be in the spotlight when your entire life has been recorded and published to the world at large.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Selfies and retweets and YouTube celebrities. A female politician gets hammered for having danced in a video at one point and it's recorded, other celebrities get caught messing up DMs and sending them out. Kim Kardashian gets busted Photoshopping images to make herself look better. I cannot imagine trying to be in the spotlight when your entire life has been recorded and published to the world at large.

What they want though.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm in-between on how the DMReg handled it. As stupid as this whole "milkshake duck" trope is, the DMReg knew if they didn't review his old tweets someone else would (OTOH, it is amazing no one already had). The Aaron Calvin profile was nicely done, and they included the tweet issue at the end and let King respond, which he did very gracefully. So that could have been the end of it!

Since it was inevitable (the cancer is in our social media culture for 10-yr old tweets, not only DMReg), it made sense to address and wrap it up.
Are you serious? A race to the bottom isn’t one to enter and win.

The odds that someone else would have tried to exploitatively monetize off this is not a justification for the DMR. They were looking for a way to generate revenue off this, at all costs.

They chose to capitalize on pathetic call-out culture without having anything to actually call out. It reeks of desperation and they should pay for such a lack of professionalism.

Last edited:

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Lots of tweets for someone two time zones behind to wade through - did the reporter get canned for his past transgressions on Twitter?